Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
prozac

Dick Strawbridge swapping a 2 bed London flat for French Castle

Recommended Posts

  • Dick Strawbridge and his wife Angel sold their two-bedroom flat in London and had £300k to spend on a new home
  • The pair bought a house in Pays de la Loire, France, which has 47 rooms, five floors, a private forest and a moat 
  • The married couple snapped up the unique property for just £280,000 and moved for the 'lifestyle and the space' 

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 23.10.56.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first looked at France, I was stunned at how £60-70k would buy a rural detached stone cottage. I was almost weeping when I realised the same amount of money would buy an ex-crack den mid terrace in Toxteth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been watching this on All4 and love the idea, I wouldn’t buy something that big and I wouldn’t want to be a hotel or wedding venue (what Dick is doing) as there are too many people doing it.

The French equivalent of council Tax is a bit strange, you have to pay the first year in full before you can set up a monthly payment so that needs factoring in to the move costs.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stockton said:

I’ve been watching this on All4 and love the idea, I wouldn’t buy something that big and I wouldn’t want to be a hotel or wedding venue (what Dick is doing) as there are too many people doing it.

The French equivalent of council Tax is a bit strange, you have to pay the first year in full before you can set up a monthly payment so that needs factoring in to the move costs.
 

I thought l'Habitation was no more than a fraction of its English equivalent? As one would expect too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

I thought l'Habitation was no more than a fraction of its English equivalent? As one would expect too.

One would expect lower taxes in France?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

I thought l'Habitation was no more than a fraction of its English equivalent? As one would expect too.

It may be I haven't looked into the costs to that detail I just thought it funny that you cant set up a direct debit from the day you move in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

One would expect lower taxes in France?!

 Good point. No, just this one that I heard of.  UK are so often world leaders in making things unnecessarily expensive.

Wouldn't it be true to say that those European countries with higher taxes are often better than we at providing services with the extra cash they've got?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluestone59 said:

So that would explain why my cousins sold up in France and legged it back here. And took ages to sell.

Started buying up property over here as soon as they got back.

Why to get away from Dick and Angel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all very well imaging living in rural France as something like A year in Provence, where everyone plays Boules in a sunny village square drinking red wind and eating mussels and french cheese. Unlike a lot of people getting taken in what they imagine France to be like I actually have some experience and unlike some people who see some kind of fairytale land where people move into castles and live happily ever after I can tell you it's not that easy and welcoming in a lot of cases. Of all the people I know who have moved to France the vast majority have returned, it's quite clear you have no idea what pitfalls there are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you watch the C4 programme "Escape to the Chateau" you will realise Dick Strawbridge is more than a good DIYer and has renovated the chateau with the help of builder friends.  For most of us it would be more than is manageable.  The programme doesn't mention the costs which must be astronomical.  Fair play to him though!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, localhero1983 said:

It's all very well imaging living in rural France as something like A year in Provence, where everyone plays Boules in a sunny village square drinking red wind and eating mussels and french cheese. Unlike a lot of people getting taken in what they imagine France to be like I actually have some experience and unlike some people who see some kind of fairytale land where people move into castles and live happily ever after I can tell you it's not that easy and welcoming in a lot of cases. Of all the people I know who have moved to France the vast majority have returned, it's quite clear you have no idea what pitfalls there are.

When things don't quite go Strawbridge:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/jan/08/expat-dream-turned-sour-jon-ronson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janch said:

If you watch the C4 programme "Escape to the Chateau" you will realise Dick Strawbridge is more than a good DIYer and has renovated the chateau with the help of builder friends.  For most of us it would be more than is manageable.  The programme doesn't mention the costs which must be astronomical.  Fair play to him though!

 

She’s as pretentious as it gets but he appears to be more than capable doesn’t he. 

If you look at their website you can get an idea of the kind of money they make out of it...

https://chateaudelamottehusson.com/shop/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lavalas said:

She’s as pretentious as it gets but he appears to be more than capable doesn’t he. 

If you look at their website you can get an idea of the kind of money they make out of it...

https://chateaudelamottehusson.com/shop/

 

That's the biggest piss take I've seen in a long while. He charges you for the 'opportunity' to go and dig his garden. And they're all sold out. lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it wrong to wonder what happens if you turn up and spend the whole time leaning on a fork gassing?

I love this program but FFS WTAF 50 quid for ......

"Yes to be frankly honest we are charging you to come and work! These ‘Work’ days are an opportunity come and visit us at the Chateau. There will be an abundance of food and drink and we will be on hand to answer any questions. And in return you have to help make the place beautiful! Sadly we are unable to take children or pets on ‘work’ days. The garden and grounds are still fairly much a blank canvas so all good suggestions gratefully received! There is a degree of manual work expected though some jobs will be gentler than others – no matter what the weather we will be outside working please dress appropriately.

Walled Garden and Grounds Spring Launch – 27th April 2019

THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED

When spring arrives in the Pays de la Loire everything bursts into life with startling speed. Just after Easter and the ground will be shouting out to become productive so this will be the main opportunity to get vegetables and flowers started. We will be there answering any questions and will be in attendance throughout the day so lots of time to chat. The day will include the following:

0930 – 1000. Arrival – Teas & coffee will be served and a little ‘something in the hand’
1015 – 1030. A briefing and ‘volunteers’ into different teams. Into wellies and off we go.
1230 – 1400. Lunch in the Orangery. Several courses and something warming. With the obligatory lunchtime beverages available. Re-muster and back to work
1400 – 1600. More work!
1600 – 1730. Wellies off and then its teas, coffee and cakes in the chateau with some bubbles for those who fancy it!
"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 294 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.