House Price Crash Forum
rollover

Do they know it's Christmas?

High Streets across UK appear DESERTED with just five days until the big day

High streets up and struggling shops up and down the country have been left deserted despite there being just five days until Christmas. Amount of consumers visiting the high street this Christmas is down by nine per cent compared with last year.

Worried shopowners blamed the lack of footfall on big online sales, bad weather and even Brexit uncertainty.

Daily Mail

How does your high street looks like?

Hmm a but of hyperbole there - if footfall is 9% down then 91% of those who visited last year are here again, hardly "deserted".

And I imagine that's more just the movement from high street to online.

I am in Camden and it is empty compared to what it should be

...according to huggy bear

’word on the street is that universal credit is the reason people don’t have money’

Edited by prozac

Our economy lacks price discovery. Obviously true with assets and QE, retail consumption is affected by it as well. Zombie companies kept afloat, selling discounted products and kicking the can down the road. 

Now promotions fly around all the time and not at those summer and winter sales. This black Friday is so stupid economically, offering sales before the largest messiah of consumption... Smart

2 minutes ago, Freki said:

Our economy lacks price discovery. Obviously true with assets and QE, retail consumption is affected by it as well. Zombie companies kept afloat, selling discounted products and kicking the can down the road. 

Now promotions fly around all the time and not at those summer and winter sales. This black Friday is so stupid economically, offering sales before the largest messiah of consumption... Smart

But is in complete alignment with the principals of the capatilist system i.e. beat your competitor to make the sale. Next development will logically be black Friday in the summer solstice.

26 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

But is in complete alignment with the principals of the capatilist system i.e. beat your competitor to make the sale. Next development will logically be black Friday in the summer solstice.

The principals of the capitalist system assume that you beat your competitor via sustainably lower prices, or better quality, or whatever combination of both most appeals to the customer (I hate the word "consumer" when applied to anything other than eating or drinking). I don't see how taking a hit and hoping you can weather that better than your competitors really fits in to capitalist ideology, despite being an inevitable result.

It's significantly different to the traditional Boxing Day sales, which were just trying to shift unsold goods that would have to be dumped otherwise; getting something like that does fit the model.

You really would've thought that the "high streets are deserted" reports would've considered the effect of having a big sale shortly before Christmas, but it's easier to blame it all on out of town centres, which in turn blame their less-than-expected results on internet shopping. Both of them undoubtedly significantly contribute to the high street picture but probably aren't all of it.

3 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Hmm a but of hyperbole there - if footfall is 9% down then 91% of those who visited last year are here again, hardly "deserted".

And I imagine that's more just the movement from high street to online.

Good point, obviously 9% down is a fair amount, but the way commentators are acting it is like we are 90% down.

This really goes to show how dependent our service based economy is on selling pointless (and some valuable) things to each other.

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The principals of the capitalist system assume that you beat your competitor via sustainably lower prices, or better quality, or whatever combination of both most appeals to the customer (I hate the word "consumer" when applied to anything other than eating or drinking). I don't see how taking a hit and hoping you can weather that better than your competitors really fits in to capitalist ideology, despite being an inevitable result.

It's significantly different to the traditional Boxing Day sales, which were just trying to shift unsold goods that would have to be dumped otherwise; getting something like that does fit the model.

You really would've thought that the "high streets are deserted" reports would've considered the effect of having a big sale shortly before Christmas, but it's easier to blame it all on out of town centres, which in turn blame their less-than-expected results on internet shopping. Both of them undoubtedly significantly contribute to the high street picture but probably aren't all of it.

It doesn't look that disimiar in principal, to me at least, to that of the well known and common practice of "the loss leader" or the commonly reported "price war" e.g. between supermarkets.

I presume that these stratergies are modelled by mathematians and that they show a net benefit for the particular company over a given time horizon.

How such modelling is done, what the various assumptions that underpin it are, and it's efficacy are beyond me. But it would be an interesting mathematical problem non the less.

Now if we were to talk about ethics and morality of such behaviour, well that's another matter.

Edited by grasshopper

Could it be that more people do not accept so easily continuing increases in prices...... inflation as a norm, something that is inevitable?.......so look around to find same for less, or go without and adapt, buy in bulk when special deals......people becoming more innovative and shopwise......needs must.😉

21 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

It doesn't look that disimiar in principal, to me at least, to that of the well known and common practice of "the loss leader" or the commonly reported "price war" e.g. between supermarkets.

I presume that these stratergies are modelled by mathematians and that they show a net benefit for the particular company over a given time horizon.

I'm entirely sure that they do and that it works for that company (although doubtless you could find some own goals without too much digging). Maybe I'm falsely equating capitalism and free market economics, which AIUI assume competition creates efficiency because businesses have to innovate to stay ahead, thus everyone gets more. Being large enough to weather a storm that can push your competitors under is staying ahead of the game by means that are fundamentally opposed to the ideas that argue we gain from the system. However it's impossible to have such freedom without someone abusing it.

The old pagan festival the celebrates the passing of the shortest day is still going as stronger than ever. Greed and gluttony the new idols of the Christian faith, an instant win for the money lenders. Christ would weep.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

Well Sainsbury's can sustain a 30% discount on online orders for new customers. They don't seem to mind how many times the customer signs up with new credentials.

I notice lower grams of product and more cardboard packaging though.

5 hours ago, prozac said:

I am in Camden and it is empty compared to what it should be

...according to huggy bear

’word on the street is that universal credit is the reason people don’t have money’

If the street is deserted, who is there to tell you what the word on the street is?

Or is it like an ancient Chinese saying like "if a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make sound?"

Was in Telford today.  

Busy (but not packed) Not many bags being carried, and when people did have bags they were mostly from budget outfits like primark or "the works"

Went into Deb(t)enhams because they sent me a £5 voucher (have a storecard) + I had another £2 voucher (Cashback). Cheapest thing I could find was a box of Lindt for £7.50 (£5.50 in Asda). 

I asked the friendly cashier whether it felt as busy last year, She reckons it's just more spread out. With last years weather condensing the majority of shopping into one day last minute. 

Only time will tell, January trading update will be interesting. 

56 minutes ago, No One said:

If the street is deserted, who is there to tell you what the word on the street is?

Or is it like an ancient Chinese saying like "if a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make sound?"

The tree will make a sound regardless. Depends if anyone is in the forest to hear it. 

You would have to converse to get the word on the street even if the noise is there already.

7 minutes ago, longgone said:

The tree will make a sound regardless. Depends if anyone is in the forest to hear it. 

You would have to converse to get the word on the street even if the noise is there already.

Isn’t the point that the tree only makes pulses of energy. It is the presence of an ear that makes it a sound.

In the same way that 1000001 (or corresponding flashes of light) is the letter A, but only if someone is there to interpret it.

1 hour ago, neon tetra said:

Isn’t the point that the tree only makes pulses of energy. It is the presence of an ear that makes it a sound.

In the same way that 1000001 (or corresponding flashes of light) is the letter A, but only if someone is there to interpret it.

The tree could make clouds of ******** foam only emitting odour when popped but if no one is there with a big needle it goes unnoticed. 

How many segregated trees make a forest.

Stars emit light whether or not someone sees. Depends how you define sound. If by it's scientific definition as waves within the air as a result of some kind of physical movement or collision then a tree does make a sound. If defined as human's experience of that energy in the air, then no.

Nobody can hear you scream in space when a tree falls on you.

Edited by Arpeggio

1 hour ago, longgone said:

Check out the double slit experiment. Perception is reality

35 minutes ago, thewig said:

Check out the double slit experiment. Perception is reality

So if the high street is empty, but there's nobody there to see it because it's empty, is it really empty? Is the high street in fact in a state of financial superposition in which sales were both gangbusters and appalling, and it is only the act of observing the sales via the January trading updates that will finally collapse them into one state or the other?

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

So if the high street is empty, but there's nobody there to see it because it's empty, is it really empty? Is the high street in fact in a state of financial superposition in which sales were both gangbusters and appalling, and it is only the act of observing the sales via the January trading updates that will finally collapse them into one state or the other?

Niiiiiiiiiiccccce 😉