House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bubble Pop Electric

Did Anyone Listen To Talksport This Afternoon?

Sorry if this has been mentioned today. I don't know who the presenter was, but he made the suggestion that the figures for house price rises were all a bit fishy (1.4%). He said most people he knew were struggling, and there were a few people who phoned up who said they were struggling to sell. One has lost 1k in 2 years (really gutted couldn't understand why), another who couldn't sell even though he'd dropped the price quite a bit. I'm not surprised most sellers can't understand why their houses are not selling - these two both had EA's who said their houses would sell in a flash.

Then Sarah B (4 days overdue with baby) came on the line and said sTR's were playing a stupid game because house prices won't be dropping for a long time. She also went on to say interest rates were the only thing that made house prices drop. Her online dating agency is doing well though! (Just in case things go wrong!)

The last i heard was a bloke who'd just sold and made 200K and was off renting cheaply abroad. I didn't hear anymore after that - this presenter was quite bearish - so it was quite good to listen to.

I wanted to phone - but feared i would be like a rabbit in headlights. I was shouting at the radio though!!

She's researched the subject of house prices well then!

:D

Could be the pregnancy hormones - they did some funny things to me - i can tell you! Yes - she did mention that if the interest rates did go up - we'd be very very stuffed because of the amount of debt etc everyone has is a lot higher that before - but she still seemed to think that they would have to be at the 12/13% level when it would become a problem.

I would worry more about your average person on the street than some 'celebrity bint' with big fun-bags.

People are getting worried about a recession. It doesn't matter if interest rates are 5 or 10% when you don't have a job. It's all a big game in this country; a game where we've all become property developers and plumbers. The only hard workers seem to come from Eastern Europe!

Only the individual can decide if they believe the hype. Take any street on the houseprices.co.uk site and compare them year-by-year and like-for-like. I've done it and so I don't believe the excrement in the Daily **** today suggesting how prices in the SE had risen by X amount. I don't buy into it. Then again I didn't buy into WMD or dotcom shares.

I would worry more about your average person on the street than some 'celebrity bint' with big fun-bags.

People are getting worried about a recession. It doesn't matter if interest rates are 5 or 10% when you don't have a job. It's all a big game in this country; a game where we've all become property developers and plumbers. The only hard workers seem to come from Eastern Europe!

Only the individual can decide if they believe the hype. Take any street on the houseprices.co.uk site and compare them year-by-year and like-for-like. I've done it and so I don't believe the excrement in the Daily **** today suggesting how prices in the SE had risen by X amount. I don't buy into it. Then again I didn't buy into WMD or dotcom shares.

You only had to listen to the others as proof - no-ones story tied up with her theory - the prices were being reduced, they weren't selling. As a STR - i don't buy into the hype either. Also it doesn't matter if interest rates are 5 or 10% when you've still got a job, but you're up to your eyeballs in debt and you've completely overstretched on your mortgage(s)!

What i'd like to know is why a figure of 1.4% isn't seen as an average - it would seem they think all property has gone up - some have gone up, but loads have gone down. The presenter knew it was fishy - but he couldn't seem to get his head round it.

S'all b0ll0cks. I wouldn't worry about it.

My town fell 5% last year according to Halifax. Nice :)

And almost every house I see advertised has an asking price that would be far and away a record for the street it is on.... and they wonder why they don't sell... ah bless.