House Price Crash Forum
AdamoMucci

Two thirds of American millennials say they will be $ millionaires by age 45.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/millennials-are-delusional-about-how-rich-theyre-going-to-be-2018-12-06

Are they right HPCers? Are they all going to give each other millions of instagram views to achieve it? Or will it be because they hold all the bitcoin? Going to reduce their consumption of £4 coffees and save the money? Central banks going to make it happen for them on paper?

41 minutes ago, Quicken said:

Careful what they wish for.

Printy, printy...

Exactly

I always feel well off......until i look on rightmove and you can buy yourself a horrible house for 500k+ in Norwich

19 minutes ago, Glental said:

People at my workplace have started to use the word 'hustle' to encourage us to work harder. Makes me want to give up.

Or ' to have a side hussle' to cover up for the fact that a single job doesn't pay enough to make ends meet anymore.

3 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

Or ' to have a side hussle' to cover up for the fact that a single job doesn't pay enough to make ends meet anymore.

Well it sounds more ambiguously glamorous than "Hoovering offices"

On 06/12/2018 at 19:14, Glental said:

People at my workplace have started to use the word 'hustle' to encourage us to work harder. Makes me want to give up.

Milleniallair-heads?

Change... Makes you want to hustle !  

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

The strangest aspect of this is that I thought greed was only a [male] baby boomer problem, and that millennials were/are a more advanced breed whose purpose is to right the wrongs of their forebears, to save the planet and to campaign tirelessly for LGBTQ+ rights etc.

..but it seems they're just as money-focused as us ol' fogies!

Crikey - who'd a-thunk it! It's like the base desires of homo sapiens really haven't changed that much over the course of 30 years after all!

I guess their greed is in fact 'aspiration', though. So that's OK.

Just now, zilly said:

The strangest aspect of this is that I thought greed was only a [male] baby boomer problem, and that millennials were/are a more advanced breed whose purpose is to right the wrongs of their forebears, to save the planet and to campaign tirelessly for LGBTQ+ rights etc.

Crikey - who'd a-thunk it! It's like the base desires of homo sapiens really haven't changed that much over the course of 30 years after all!

Millionairenials.......

We are our parent's children. 

3 hours ago, zilly said:

'Millennials' aren't any less materialistic than preceding generations - it's just that they generally don't have any spending power.   Plus virtue signalling on social media delivers instant validation through 'likes' from like-minded vapid individuals.

As someone who is just about a millennial on the upper end of the age scale, I would be shocked if UK millennial's even came close to being as optimistic as their American peers. Most people I talk to here are pretty dismal about their prospects.

47 minutes ago, NuBrit said:

As someone who is just about a millennial on the upper end of the age scale, I would be shocked if UK millennial's even came close to being as optimistic as their American peers. Most people I talk to here are pretty dismal about their prospects.

not surprising reading this 

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3441553-To-be-depressed-at-low-level-of-wages?pg=1

i tend to agree with them though. 

On 06/12/2018 at 19:14, Glental said:

Brilliant I will try that myself! 

17 hours ago, zilly said:

Sadly they have this astonishing sense of entitlement and an incredibly over inflated view of their own value on the employment market.  

15 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

'Millennials' aren't any less materialistic than preceding generations - it's just that they generally don't have any spending power.   Plus virtue signalling on social media delivers instant validation through 'likes' from like-minded vapid individuals.

The same attitudes are probably present across all generations (which don't leave me with a particularly favourable opinion of people in general), the effects of social media make them manifest slightly differently perhaps. You don't have to look at just the millenials though to find instant gratification (of which instant validation is probably just an aspect) - plenty of people of all ages earn contempt with "how much better life is now that I can get something instantly instead of having the terrible hardship of waiting a couple of weeks!"

Edited by Riedquat

2 hours ago, longgone said:

All those jobs they talk about in that thread are not skilled though.  The civil servant and admin NHS jobs are non jobs to stop employment figures looking worse.

Good chance the office administrator is female and is probably paid less than they used to because they have got older. The idea they may have got the job in the first place because they were young and female is lost on them.

The social services job could be useful but it doesn't require innate ability and wages will be forced down by open door immigration

Apparently millenials are as young as 22 according to this survey - not sure how that works out - they were 4 at the turn of the century. A millennial should be no younger than 30 - and I think that you would get a very different outcome if you asked them.

8 minutes ago, Killian said:

All those jobs they talk about in that thread are not skilled though.  The civil servant and admin NHS jobs are non jobs to stop employment figures looking worse.

Good chance the office administrator is female and is probably paid less than they used to because they have got older. The idea they may have got the job in the first place because they were young and female is lost on them.

The social services job could be useful but it doesn't require innate ability and wages will be forced down by open door immigration

maybe, but we all live in the same world paying a similar amount for food bills etc. in real terms these jobs are 50% to 70% down on buying power than say 15 years ago. 

2 hours ago, longgone said:

I think there is going to be hell to pay for the government when universal credit truly kicks in. If you have over £6k of capital, your UC tapers off. Anything over £16k means you get no UC at all. How many people are out there on low wages who have a small amount of money saved are going to get clobbered?

25 minutes ago, NuBrit said:

I think there is going to be hell to pay for the government when universal credit truly kicks in. If you have over £6k of capital, your UC tapers off. Anything over £16k means you get no UC at all. How many people are out there on low wages who have a small amount of money saved are going to get clobbered?

hidden assets 😄

2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The same attitudes are probably present across all generations (which don't leave me with a particularly favourable opinion of people in general), the effects of social media make them manifest slightly differently perhaps. You don't have to look at just the millenials though to find instant gratification (of which instant validation is probably just an aspect) - plenty of people of all ages earn contempt with "how much better life is now that I can get something instantly instead of having the terrible hardship of waiting a couple of weeks!"

True - there is plenty of social media narcissism displayed by older generations too - it's just that millenials have come of age when all this became a 'thing' and it's considered a normal part of their life and just 'how things are'.  It's really corrosive - at least older generations can remember what life was like before social media and thus potentially appreciate how dodgy it all is and the many pitfalls of losing your privacy.

I do feel sorry for the up and coming generation - they have grown up with easily the best standard of living of any generation yet are starting their adult lives just as Western economies have started to 'turn' after years of generally expanding.  That is going to create an awful lot of resentment.