Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Quicken

FTSE down 2% reunion thread

Recommended Posts

Old timers will remember the great tradition of FTSE down 2% threads from years gone by. Full of predictions of impending market Armageddon that never quite materialised.

Since the FTSE is indeed down 2% again, it's high time for a festive reunion.

Anyone remember those threads? Is this the big one? Make your views known.

Cheers, Q

Edited by Quicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting a little bit tired of waiting for "the happening". 

It's all due to government intervention, and central banks too ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a bit my view, is this Huawei daughter, the black swan event that will trigger something bigger.

The first thing that sprung to my mind this morning reading the news, was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Freki said:

It was a bit my view, is this Huawei daughter, the black swan event that will trigger something bigger.

The first thing that sprung to my mind this morning reading the news, was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

Ukraine has just called up her reserves, this is a franz Ferdinand moment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next Monday, we'll all be back at work as usual, and the weather will be grey and rainy, as usual.  News of the FTSE will have been relegated by something about peas being Islamophobic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Next Monday, we'll all be back at work as usual, and the weather will be grey and rainy, as usual.  News of the FTSE will have been relegated by something about peas being Islamophobic. 

Lol

you are right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make that 3.3%. Black Thursday anyone? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46466903

"Stock markets in the US and Europe plunged on Thursday as fears about US-China trade tensions and global growth continue to mount.

All three main Wall Street indexes fell more than 2%, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average sliding 700 points.

In London the FTSE 100 tumbled 3.3%, or more than 200 points, to under 6,700 - its lowest level in two years.

Falls on European markets were even sharper, with Paris and Frankfurst both shedding 3.5%.

Oil prices also sank, with Brent crude 3% lower at $59.69 a barrel."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, prozac said:

Ukraine has just called up her reserves, this is a franz Ferdinand moment 

I am at the airport waiting to go to Poland.  I hope you are not right!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, reddog said:

What percent drop do you need for it to be a "black" day (I imagine I must be 5-10%)

Like Alice said any number you want 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, reddog said:

I am at the airport waiting to go to Poland.  I hope you are not right!!

Use google, it is getting tense but I don’t think we will have WW3 this weekend you should be fine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reddog said:

What percent drop do you need for it to be a "black" day (I imagine I must be 5-10%)

Yeah, it has a way to go yet. I was only jesting. It really needs to go over 6% in a day to get into the elite class of crashes (top ten since the FTSE 100 started in 1984). 3.3% might just squeeze into the top 100.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/shares/30-years-since-black-monday-investors-remember-worst-day-ftses/

The biggest FTSE drops were Black Monday, 19th October 1987, 10.8%, and the following day 12.2%. The next largest three were both in October 2008, while the 6th largest was also in October 87.

Quote

Since the index launched in 1984, it has had 84 trading days with falls of more than 3pc, and 17 days with falls of more than 5pc.

Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frederico said:

Stocks are hopeless investments at the moment, financial system is a joke.

If someone told me in 2006 that I'd become a gold bug, I'd have slapped them. Interesting times these.

Q

Edited by Quicken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chronyx said:

Next Monday, we'll all be back at work as usual, and the weather will be grey and rainy, as usual.  News of the FTSE will have been relegated by something about peas being Islamophobic. 

Mmm, get your point, or I would do normally.

Negative Yield curve anyone, never been wrong in calling a recession yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Mmm, get your point, or I would do normally.

Negative Yield curve anyone, never been wrong in calling a recession yet

Oh I agree with you, the point is when.  Stopped clock etc.  

I think I have doom p0rn fatigue, so chances are it's TEOTWAWKI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Oh I agree with you, the point is when.  Stopped clock etc.  

I think I have doom p0rn fatigue, so chances are it's TEOTWAWKI

After so long now, bankers escaping what were blatant criminal charges , high debt, austerity and the financial crisis that was never repaired you start to believe the economy really must be indestructable now, and that's how I feel. But deep down I know it's not the case, and even though something deep down tells me that it is still going to crash I will be as surprised as anyone when it finally does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far right rise is Spanish elections

far right lead polls in French survey 

Trump

Italian 5 star

banks are insolvent 

global debt 400% of global GDP 

Growth not high enough as debt continues to increase.. forcing governments to squeeze those that can least afford it further.. 

civil unrest, higher crime rates, crumbling infrastructure 

trade wars

zombie companies

house prices 17x wages in places

share Buy backs coming to an end

quantitive tightening

interest rate rises starting to come

QE no longer papering over the cracks as there is plenty of money but know one to lend too.. 

The global pensions deficit 

The global OAP health care funding problem

continued 3rd world migration..

generation rent retire penniless onto benefits 

£27 billion housing each year and growing

£32 billion working tax credits and growing

soon to be retail voids.. 

unemployment rising as companies run out of borrowing? 

Have I missed anything  

Oh yeh Brexit.. 😂 almost forgot 

 

Edited by macca13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, macca13 said:

Far right rise is Spanish elections

far right lead polls in French survey 

Trump

Italian 5 star

banks are insolvent 

global debt 400% of global GDP 

Growth not high enough as debt continues to increase.. forcing governments to squeeze those that can least afford it further.. 

civil unrest, higher crime rates, crumbling infrastructure 

trade wars

zombie companies

house prices 17x wages in places

share Buy backs coming to an end

quantitive tightening

interest rate rises starting to come

QE no longer papering over the cracks as there is plenty of money but know one to lend too.. 

The global pensions deficit 

The global OAP health care funding problem

continued 3rd world migration..

generation rent retire penniless onto benefits 

£27 billion housing each year and growing

£32 billion working tax credits and growing

soon to be retail voids.. 

unemployment rising as companies run out of borrowing? 

Have I missed anything  

Oh yeh Brexit.. 😂 almost forgot 

 

If only you was exaggerating, but you are not, how did it hold up for this long is beyond me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

If only you was exaggerating, but you are not, how did it hold up for this long is beyond me

It’s going to have to be one hell of a boom to get out of this hole! 

Can the rich get even richer!

The poor even poorer!

without something breaking?

Who is going to take on the debt to keep it going, how much more debt can we take before the bubble is so big it’s impossible to burst without destroying fiat money itself! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, macca13 said:

It’s going to have to be one hell of a boom to get out of this hole! 

Can the rich get even richer!

The poor even poorer!

without something breaking?

Who is going to take on the debt to keep it going, how much more debt can we take before the bubble is so big it’s impossible to burst without destroying fiat money itself! 

I made the same point somewhere else today, the errors of the Rich have seen the millions of poorest attempt to fix their mess while they got richer. Oh come on, someone who say made £3 Billion, can he not be all philosophical about it and accept that he can still have a great life with £2 Billion. Well he seems he couldn't and demanded £4 Billion, this is why so many people in the UK are now turning to populism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be a steady decline in stock markets so far, almost as if one unit is sold in the morning and two thirds of a unit is bought back in the afternoon.  

Given they're 50 % overvalued in terms of earnings I don't understand why everyone isn't just selling but they're not. 

People are buying as the market falls day after day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, prozac said:

Ukraine has just called up her reserves, this is a franz Ferdinand moment 

The issue is gas related, but could be the trigger.

Quote

 

Germany’s economy minister dismissed suggestions that his country’s commitment to a pipeline - that will allow Russia to bypass Ukraine in pumping gas to Europe - undermines efforts to a de-escalate a crisis between the two neighbors.

“Those are two separate questions.” Reuters

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:   212 members have voted

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.