House Price Crash Forum
Mikhail Liebenstein

The theft economy- hyperscale Data theft

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6465037/Shocking-extent-big-firms-harvest-data.html?login#article-6465037

And it’s not just personal data- they do the same thing with commercial data. None of these hyperscale providers can be trusted with corporate data. It is widely known one large online store provider works out what is selling well amongst its sellers and they buys supplies itself to under cut them. They also steal intellectual property, customer data and software code.

Basically you can’t trust the cloud.

Either run your own systems or use a smaller service provider.

And i thought sending data off into the unknown would be just as safe and secure as IT practices built up since the beginning of computing #metoo

31 minutes ago, No One said:

didnt some hotel chain loose data on 500 million customers recently?

500 million is 7-8% of the worlds population

Yes, Marriott.

I’m just dealing with the cr@p having to set up monitoring for my own data in case it appears in the dark web.

Marriott should pay me at least $1000 for wasting my time.

Thing is, big Cloud as a Service providers are just as bad as having you data leaked into the Dark Web.

I do trust kind of trust Microsoft, but not Google,  Amazon or Alibaba. Putting data in AWS,  GCloud and Alibaba and who knows when and how it will be used against you! 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

36 minutes ago, chronyx said:

And i thought sending data off into the unknown would be just as safe and secure as IT practices built up since the beginning of computing #metoo

You know that the Starwood database was cloud based? Reference?

1 hour ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

You know that the Starwood database was cloud based? Reference?

Yeah you're right adding the cloud to the equation was definitely a good move in the fight for data security

The ebay android app updated last week and there was an opt out option under GDPR i kid you not it took me 15 minutes to scroll though all the data harvesters and switch them off individually. literally hundreds of them.  

The shocker was when i checked again some were still active.  i notice the same ads on my pc as my phone so they know both are linked. scary stuff. 

4 hours ago, chronyx said:

Yeah you're right adding the cloud to the equation was definitely a good move in the fight for data security

Sh1t process in security is sh1t process in security - doesn't matter where the data is.

Suggesting it is harder/easier to find badly secured stuff either in the cloud or on premise is only possible if you don't understand the technologies involved.

3 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Sh1t process in security is sh1t process in security - doesn't matter where the data is.

Suggesting it is harder/easier to find badly secured stuff either in the cloud or on premise is only possible if you don't understand the technologies involved.

I'd suggest you don't understand that adding in another link in the chain IS shit process security.

12 minutes ago, chronyx said:

I'd suggest you don't understand that adding in another link in the chain IS shit process security.

It is not adding another link in the chain.

It is replacing 1 link (with specific responsibilities) with another link (with specific, different, responsibilities).

Comparing the relative responsibilities is playing apples and pears.

And the best practice for both of those sets of responsibilities are based on the same principles.

And, no we are not talking about irresponsible application of multi-tenancy systems (which, in turn, should not be conflated with the cloud/on-prem question).

Starwood's failures are Starwood's failures and are reprehensible regardless of where the data is.

And idiot gambler is an idiot gambler ... the choice of game upon which the gamble is taken is a detail of the case, not the cause of the problem.

Companies who don't step up and take responsibility for the data they gather are the problem - basically gambling on not being hacked. The attributes of the container into which they do the gathering is irrelevant.

Edited by Aidan Ap Word
Minor extra point.

1 minute ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Companies who don't step up and take responsibility for the data they gather are the problem - basically gambling on not being hacked.

The attributes of the container into which they do the gathering is irrelevant.

:lol::lol::lol: ok mate.  

37 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

[...]

And idiot gambler is an idiot gambler ... the choice of game upon which the gamble is taken is a detail of the case, not the cause of the problem.

Companies who don't step up and take responsibility for the data they gather are the problem - basically gambling on not being hacked. The attributes of the container into which they do the gathering is irrelevant.

27 minutes ago, chronyx said:

:lol::lol::lol: ok mate.  

And the odds of being hacked get higher every year ... or every month ... or really ... every day. Gambling these days is dumber than ever. Sadly a lot of folks gambled in the years past ... and assumed the odds would remain constant over the lifetime of the data.

Lots of companies with their privates out in the open waiting to be hacked (off?) ... I suspect.

Lots of senior board members who will have to take responsibility for their profligate irresponsibility ... ah wait, no maybe not. 

6 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

And the odds of being hacked get higher every year ... or every month ... or really ... every day. Gambling these days is dumber than ever. Sadly a lot of folks gambled in the years past ... and assumed the odds would remain constant over the lifetime of the data.

Lots of companies with their privates out in the open waiting to be hacked (off?) ... I suspect.

Lots of senior board members who will have to take responsibility for their profligate irresponsibility ... ah wait, no maybe not. 

They do need to start personally fining CEOs for this rubbish.

20 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, Marriott.

I’m just dealing with the cr@p having to set up monitoring for my own data in case it appears in the dark web.

Marriott should pay me at least $1000 for wasting my time.

Thing is, big Cloud as a Service providers are just as bad as having you data leaked into the Dark Web.

I do trust kind of trust Microsoft, but not Google,  Amazon or Alibaba. Putting data in AWS,  GCloud and Alibaba and who knows when and how it will be used against you! 

? Your own data ? What can can they have which is already not out there a million times - CC details, name post code ? Bit of a p**** if it’s compromised but a 5 minute fix

Most data leaks are socially engineered through employees - pure technology data hacks quite rare - might just agree with the Amazon Alibaba comments but only if your a trader and they are creaming off your product info