House Price Crash Forum
AdamoMucci

Prime Minister Corbyn

What do HPCers feel are the implications for the housing market now that his premiership is, of course, all but assured? Anyone kinda interested to watch it all burn down for a complete reset?

Edited by AdamoMucci

I see the Tories clinging on after a hard Brexit and potentially a sovereign debt crisis, especially if the Fed remains hawkish. 

4 minutes ago, dom said:

I see the Tories clinging on after a hard Brexit and potentially a sovereign debt crisis, especially if the Fed remains hawkish. 

There is not going to be a WTO brexit after the votes in the commons today. The government looks utterly incompetent and Theresa May looks like a worse PM than Gordon Brown. Think about that, she is worse than Gordon Brown. They are done and good riddance frankly.

6 minutes ago, AdamoMucci said:

There is not going to be a WTO brexit after the votes in the commons today. The government looks utterly incompetent and Theresa May looks like a worse PM than Gordon Brown. Think about that, she is worse than Gordon Brown. They are done and good riddance frankly.

Sorry, yes I've just seen the news on my FB feed. Crikey! 

1 hour ago, AdamoMucci said:

What do HPCers feel are the implications for the housing market now that his premiership is, of course, all but assured? Anyone kinda interested to watch it all burn down for a complete reset?

Personally, I think he would end up bailing out homeowners who have borrowed recklessly; at the expense of everybody else. I just don't feel that he had the stomach to see people losing their homes, no matter how stupid and irresponsibible they have been. Privatise the gains and nationalise the losses.

However, I think it may not come to that as I feel the Tories will ditch Theresa May if her universally hated deal does not go through parliament next week. 

If she remains in charge of the Tories I don't care who gets in as long as it's not her. She has been thoroughly incompetent right from the start (calling the election, refusing to take part in the TV debates, Brexit negotiations etc). 

Most of all I feel thoroughly depressed at the choices on offer. Both Labour and the Tories are totally awful. Either one would clean up at an election if they had half-decent leaders. Other parties are an irrelevance, as usual.

I do wonder whether we'll see a new party emerge from the ashes of all of this. 

17 minutes ago, oatbake said:

....led by Tony Blair. He's been making noises about it.

Be careful what you wish for.

Just now, mrtickle said:

I dont think he would be successful. I think people are fed up of the spiceboy types like him, blair, clegg.

19 minutes ago, oatbake said:

I used to be against proportional representation but this episode has shown than the constituency link is meaningless. PR is far more important and will make it much easier for the establishment parties to be challenged. Frankly if we had PR now I think both the conservatives and labour would be in serious trouble. We would see their strangle hold on the system slip away very quickly.

18 minutes ago, AdamoMucci said:

I used to be against proportional representation but this episode has shown than the constituency link is meaningless. PR is far more important and will make it much easier for the establishment parties to be challenged. Frankly if we had PR now I think both the conservatives and labour would be in serious trouble. We would see their strangle hold on the system slip away very quickly.

Yes. Which is why they'll never allow it. The AV referendum (not proper PR of course) was our ONLY chance for a generation.

If you only remember one thing, tell people this: If Labour had not stupidly campaigned HARD for "NO" in the AV referendum, Ed Miliband would be Prime Minister now.

13 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

Yes please. Would love to see Bliar humiliated at the polls.

About the only thing that would make many vote for Corbyn or May.

In other news, Nigel quit his party today in protest at TR being appointed something. Well done Nigel.

Portillo has renamed no deal as clean break which he correctly points out would result in hastily drawn arrangements for a clean break. [Lets call them something other than a deal to appease the eurotwats]

My vote is for a new Nigel and Michael party.

6 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

No.

Gordon Brown was the worst PM ever.

TM is just having to deal with his insane spending.

Brexit is a result of the scots moron's tax credit's bring over ~8M EUers.

Browns moronic schesm 2002-2010 will be arriving for another 20 years as all his gormless, very expensive 'good' ideas come home to roost.

7 hours ago, mrtickle said:

Yes. Which is why they'll never allow it. The AV referendum (not proper PR of course) was our ONLY chance for a generation.

If you only remember one thing, tell people this: If Labour had not stupidly campaigned HARD for "NO" in the AV referendum, Ed Miliband would be Prime Minister now.

I wonder why Nick Clegg did not bargain harder for a different choice.  I wonder if secretly he thought that AV was the best system for the Lib Dems as opposed to PR.  They should have got Farage involved in the AV referendum more.

6 hours ago, ebull said:

Would love to see Bliar humiliated at the polls.  My vote is for a new Nigel and Michael party.

Whilst I not like to see Portillo, I can see room for another Party as long as it doesn’t include Camoron, Cable or Blair.  Comparing May to Brown shows just how very bad   she is.  Death of the Tory Party ahead.

8 hours ago, oatbake said:

Personally, I think he would end up bailing out homeowners who have borrowed recklessly; at the expense of everybody else. I just don't feel that he had the stomach to see people losing their homes, no matter how stupid and irresponsibible they have been. Privatise the gains and nationalise the losses.

However, I think it may not come to that as I feel the Tories will ditch Theresa May if her universally hated deal does not go through parliament next week. 

If she remains in charge of the Tories I don't care who gets in as long as it's not her. She has been thoroughly incompetent right from the start (calling the election, refusing to take part in the TV debates, Brexit negotiations etc). 

Most of all I feel thoroughly depressed at the choices on offer. Both Labour and the Tories are totally awful. Either one would clean up at an election if they had half-decent leaders. Other parties are an irrelevance, as usual.

Will he have the funds? I doubt it. We are heading for a recession and borrowing goes up sharply anyway and he has a host of other promises to fulfill before he gets round to property owners.

Corbyn is a Brexiteer and he wants to leave; if he stays the rules of the Growth and Stability Pact and those on state aid will cramp his style mightily.

Corbyn wants to leave but his party wants to remain

May wants to remain but her party wants to leave

Why don't the two parties just swap leaders, swap back after Brexit's sorted out, like an exchange scheme.

There'll never be a majority in favour of anything, a third want leave, another third a neverendum/remain and the rest something in between.  They need a three-way vote, followed by a run-off vote of the two most favoured options.  They'll never agree to anything as long as the choice is between this or not this - the alternative needs to be an alternative, not just a "no".  As it is, two thirds will vote "no" to everything.

Edited by Tes Tickle

Apparently the bankers are more in fear of a Corbyn Government than Brexit. The way I see it is that if there is no Brexit then the Tories will lose a lot of support and Corbyn will get in. If there is a real Brexit (not BRINO) then this will also have implications for the economy (obviously). Either way it doesn't look great for HPI (in my opinion). I think the UK will be in decades of decline generally anyway as we have lived the high life for far too long...

9 hours ago, mrtickle said:

And Labour would most likely be even more unpopular. Miliband got (almost 3 million) less votes than Corbyn in 2015! Miliband is a Blairite and people are sick of status-quo neo-liberals.

1 hour ago, Tes Tickle said:

Corbyn wants to leave but his party wants to remain

May wants to remain but her party wants to leave

Why don't the two parties just swap leaders, swap back after Brexit's sorted out, like an exchange scheme.

There'll never be a majority in favour of anything, a third want leave, another third a neverendum/remain and the rest something in between.  They need a three-way vote, followed by a run-off vote of the two most favoured options.  They'll never agree to anything as long as the choice is between this or not this - the alternative needs to be an alternative, not just a "no".  As it is, two thirds will vote "no" to everything.

I think that as soon as the vote result came in then this matter is so important, and a once in a lifetime event that it should have become a cross-party thing.

The exit should have been led by MPs from all parties who actually campaigned for Brexit.

Putting the country's interests before party - like we do in wartime for example?

Of course that's too much to ask and the internal bickering and blocking will result in a poor deal for UK.

Edited by frankief

Cameron still the worst PM I can remember in several generations. 

May a close second. 

If it wasn't for Corbyn, Labour would be romping back into power. 

Austerity was a daft idea Osborne adopted from the EU. It's fag packet maths really. People don't just eat the money/benefit from tax credits, local services, etc etc. It gets spent and ultimately trickles back up to the government. 

I don't think many understand this. Ultimately it's why our government offer corporate subsidies and tax credits over and above what they receive back in corporation tax. The stimulating effect on the economy (and tax benefits elsewhere) are estimated as being two to three times what the subsidies themselves cost. 

Consumer spending is about 70% of our GDP. I might not like that the family next door to me get get a hundred quid in tax credits a week, but ultimately they spend most locally and within the UK. They don't just burn all the money in the back garden. 

What are his previous statements on housing? I have no idea about his policies - but I expect it’s something like  “free housing for anyone who needs it” without much in the way of details.

Pessimistically I expect Boris to be next PM.  People seem to love that whole devilish clown schick.

1 minute ago, byron78 said:

Cameron still the worst PM I can remember in several generations. 

May a close second. 

If it wasn't for Corbyn, Labour would be romping back into power. 

Austerity was a daft idea Osborne adopted from the EU. It's fag packet maths really. People don't just eat the money/benefit from tax credits, local services, etc etc. It gets spent and ultimately trickles back up to the government. 

I don't think many understand this. Ultimately it's why our government offer corporate subsidies and tax credits over and above what they receive back in corporation tax. The stimulating effect on the economy (and tax benefits elsewhere) are estimated as being two to three times what the subsidies themselves cost. 

Consumer spending is about 70% of our GDP. I might not like that the family next door to me get get a hundred quid in tax credits a week, but ultimately they spend most locally and within the UK. They don't just burn all the money in the back garden. 

True about austerity, although it would be better for people who work to get their money rather than others.

No one should get £50k p.a in benefits, the benefit cap was a wonderful idea.

As much as I cant stand either blair or cameron, it is just not fair to put them in the same class and may and brown. May and brown are something else. But may is worse than brown imo and i never thought i would be saying that. That really is something.

37 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

True about austerity, although it would be better for people who work to get their money rather than others.

No one should get £50k p.a in benefits, the benefit cap was a wonderful idea.

Modern life I'm afraid mate. 

Reality is our economy simply doesn't have 35-40M jobs. 

That's why so many old 40hr a week jobs have been chopped into 3/4 10-16hr a week jobs. 

That's not anyone's fault within the UK itself. It's just a fact people can be paid pennies overseas for work (not to mention they happily do so in worse conditions). 

Brexit, no Brexit, Tory or Labour, globalisation and the modern world isn't going to go away. 

But I broadly agree with you. Simply from a mental health point of view I was always happier working. 

2 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Modern life I'm afraid mate. 

Reality is our economy simply doesn't have 35-40M jobs. 

That's why so many old 40hr a week jobs have been chopped into 3/4 10-16hr a week jobs. 

That's not anyone's fault within the UK itself. It's just a fact people can be paid pennies overseas for work (not to mention they happily do so in worse conditions). 

Brexit, no Brexit, Tory or Labour, globalisation and the modern world isn't going to go away. 

But I broadly agree with you. Simply from a mental health point of view I was always happier working. 

I am not sure that I agree with your premise, however even if I did -, £50K pa net - seriously how can that be justified?  There should be some limit to benefits.