House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shavedchimp

Rolling tenancy, 50% rent rise - help!

My landlord (who represents a trust who own the house I live in) has informed me the rent is to rise by 50% on January 1st (about 5 weeks notice).

His/their justification for that is that currently (and for the last 8 years) we have paid way below market rent for our location. They want to rectify that.

This means an extra £500 per month for us, and won't be possible for us to pay that for long.

We have been on a rolling tenancy for the last 2 years or so.

Please advise if I have any leg to stand on to resist this for a short period at least.

If it automatically turned into a periodic tenancy it is a statutory periodic tenancy, so it must be a section 13 increase https://www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2009/06/26/rent-increases-in-periodic-tenancies/ so you have a right to appeal https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/rent_increases

Yes, I would try the appeal route. Is there any particular reason the house was rented out below market value for so long? Does it have a defect or any issues you can use to add weight to your appeal?

Ring your local council and see if they have anyone who deals with private tenants and disputes. My old London council used to have a tenants officer dealing with private tenants. The council would have helped if I wanted to take action against my LL for this type of problem but I never used the service for that reason and never found out how good they were.

What they did do was write to the agents when they refused to release the name and address of my LL

My blood is boiling just reading this, some people are vile.

I'd be tempted to ignore all communication, change the locks and continue to pay the same amount whilst looking for alternative accommodation and then cancel my standing and leave without notice, guaranteeing them a void.

Edit: However, it's probably better to play the system and appeal. If you have children they'll have the devil of a job getting a court order to evict you until you have found suitable accommodation... good luck.

Edited by Bruce Banner