House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

They Live | "Based on a True Story" Matrix of the 80s ?

They Live | "Based on a True Story" 

interesting quote from the comments ..

"The non-humans are actually psychopaths. That's what the director said they symbolized. Psychopaths do not consider themselves humans. They think they are superior to humans. Psychopaths are in every field...They are the business owners, middle and high level managers, doctors, lawyers, politicians, celebrities, business leaders, pastors and priests, and the elite families."

On 03/12/2018 at 09:07, Saving For a Space Ship said:

THESE MAGICAL SUNGLASSES BLOCK ALL THE SCREENS AROUND YOU https://www.wired.com/story/irl-glasses-screen-blocking/

So basically polarised lenses. The Kickstarter donors who forked out $25,000 might have served themselves better by considering the 'developers' names: Blew Cash.

Oh yes, I've been meaning to order this film.

Thanks to HPC to waking me up from my 'blue pill' slumber.

Edited by MattW
spelling

FFS.

Remember when we had politics instead of conspiracy theories?

Remember when people understood satire?

A contemporary satiric thrust makes this movie, according to Lewis Beale in the Tribune a couple of weeks ago, “the most anti-Reagan film ever to come out of Hollywood.”...

...Carpenter has been in the past a conservative director. But there’s no mistaking the film’s satiric intent, which he expounded upon in his interview with Beale. There Carpenter linked Reagan’s presidency to “fascism” and “the rise of the fundamentalist right and the kind of mind control they’re putting out”.

https://www.jonathanrosenbaum.net/1988/11/liberals-kick-ass/

And as if it needed saying...

The sheeple of 2018 don’t need to wake up, they need to grow up.

I see Roddy Piper died quite recently, and quite young, he was very very good in that movie, very cool actor, and it was only his second or third film and first lead role? Watched it recently for the first time in a very long time, amazing piece of work, would never ever get made now.

On 06/12/2018 at 22:08, MattW said:

Oh yes, I've been meaning to order this film.

Thanks to HPC to waking me up from my 'blue pill' slumber.

Perhaps also worth taking a look at Jacob's Ladder and zardoz. 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:52, Saving For a Space Ship said:

A further thought of mine is that the modern interpretation of the PTB in 'They Live' would be

'They Listen'  via mobile phone , tablet,  tv, smart speaker to steal the data from your lives . ..

see the parallels in Stanley Kubrick's a space 2001, and its sequal. 

Also Google the concepts around the animals in the field, enjoying their Wonderful Life, and wondering what the point of existence is where everything is given to them for free. Never questioning that they were, in fact, the commodity. Soylent Green ;)