House Price Crash Forum

Yellow Vest Protests

reddog

HOLA441
On 03/12/2018 at 06:13, PeanutButter said:

“Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said 378 people were in custody, including 33 under the age of 18. He said many of those arrested in battles with police were men aged between 30 and 40, often from regions far from Paris, who had “come to fight police while claiming to be part of the gilets jaunes movement”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/02/paris-riots-worst-unrest-decade-with-shops-and-cars-set-alight-gilets-jaunes

As ever, it escalates.

I (cynic) do wonder how much Big Oil has spent on astroturfers infiltrating these groups. A few commenters online, a few ‘thought leaders’...

If you're at all suspicious of how large groups of people have their minds seemingly changed on major issues in countries all over the world it's worth reading the research from @DFRLab 

https://medium.com/dfrlab

Here's their stuff on France recently:

https://medium.com/dfrlab/trolltracker-glimpse-into-a-french-operation-f78dcae78924

A network of inauthentic Facebook and Instagram accounts impersonated French-speaking users whose posts ranged from soccer and fashion tips for Muslim women to attacks on French President Emmanuel Macron, in a manner similar to the Russian troll operation which targeted the United States from 2014 through 2018, according to traces of their activity left online.

Facebook removed the accounts from its platform for “coordinated inauthentic behavior,” meaning these pages, which posed as organizations and individuals from different parts of the political spectrum or focused on opposite sides of a debate, were centrally operated. Most of the accounts were focused on building their audiences among French users, suggesting that this was an operation in its early stages.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
On 02/12/2018 at 07:45, macca13 said:

Have you seen rent prices in Paris.. I would say housing in cities is just as ridiculous all over Europe as U.K. 

Having lived in different parts of Europe recently, I was surprised by rents in France. Everywhere.

You don't get much for your cash, even in out of the way places. And in the land of haute cuisine, a tiny kitchenette with a couple of rings doesn't help you enjoy it. 

As a retiree, 350 a month can usually get you somewhere quite decent . . . even in the North of England or East of Germany.

Maybe one thing impacting the market is France being a huge holiday destination and many places are priced at tourist rates. The airbnb effect. No idea what the level of home ownership is now and whether there's a shortage of rentals.

I lived in France for a few years back in the 80s and it was quite do-able then. 

HOLA444
Just now, copydude said:

Having lived in different parts of Europe recently, I was surprised by rents in France. Everywhere.

You don't get much for your cash, even in out of the way places. And in the land of haute cuisine, a tiny kitchenette with a couple of rings doesn't help you enjoy it. 

As a retiree, 350 a month can usually get you somewhere quite decent . . . even in the North of England or East of Germany.

Maybe one thing impacting the market is France being a huge holiday destination and many places are priced at tourist rates. The airbnb effect. No idea what the level of home ownership is now and whether there's a shortage of rentals.

I lived in France for a few years back in the 80s and it was quite do-able then. 

The 1980s was 30 years ago.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
5 hours ago, nightowl said:

I guess its not a good day to drive through Paris, or indeed have a flat tyre on route....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Duu2CfmWkAAh13g.jpg

Ps a shameless self-plug: If anyone fancies clicking like or follow my own original cartoons and supporting a fellow HPCer...feel free ?

gilet jaunes flat tyre (lo res).png

:lol::lol::lol::lol: brilliant

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I heard earlier on the bbc that someone had died at a yellow vests road block and ''this was the tenth death since the protests began''

This is the first death I've heard of, can anyone confirm that there have been another 9 deaths all directly attributed to the protests or is this just more bbc fake news?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
20 minutes ago, nome said:

I heard earlier on the bbc that someone had died at a yellow vests road block and ''this was the tenth death since the protests began''

This is the first death I've heard of, can anyone confirm that there have been another 9 deaths all directly attributed to the protests or is this just more bbc fake news?

France’s "yellow vest" anti-government protesters turned out yet again on Saturday - but Paris was spared a repeat of the violence as demonstrations were heavily toned down.

However, a fatal road accident, in which a car hit a truck at a roadblock erected by protesters in southern France, brought the death toll to 10 since the movement, which was sparked by planned fuel price hikes, began last month.

For the first time in weeks Saturday in central Paris no longer resembled a war zone. There were minor skirmishes between demonstrators and riot police on the Champs Elysées in the capital, during which security forces used tear gas and water cannon, but the famed avenue remained open for most of the day to Christmas shoppers and tourists.

Around 24,000 people took part in protests across the country, including around 2,000 in Paris, compared with 33,500 a week ago, according to figures from the interior ministry.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk /news/2018/12/22/paris-yellow-vests-protests-toned-movement-fizzles-christmas/

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 hours ago, nome said:

After a spot of googling I've seen this 10 deaths figure bandied around quite widely, but no where gives any details and confirms that every one of those deaths was directly attributed to the yellow vests protests.

The 10 deaths may be lower than average, in wet and rainy conditions people drive more carefully so there are fewer crashes than in sunny conditions

So fewer people may come out of the house when demonstrations are taking place, so fewer accidents.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

https://surplusenergyeconomics.wordpress.com/2018/12/07/140-are-yellow-jackets-the-new-fashion/?fbclid=IwAR0Pi3ypdcq_PGv734rzFGjGle1YTxSfWGcRl8mAkOLdo9k7JQljaG2x1Vw

In France, and with all sums expressed in euros at constant 2017 values, GDP grew by 23% between 2000 and 2017. But this growth, whilst adding €433bn to GDP, was accompanied by a €3.07tn increase in aggregate debt. This means that each €1 of reported growth in the French economy has come at a cost of more than €7 in net new debt. Put another way, whilst French GDP is growing at between 1.5% and 2.0%, annual borrowing is running at about 9.5% of GDP.

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, dom said:

https://surplusenergyeconomics.wordpress.com/2018/12/07/140-are-yellow-jackets-the-new-fashion/?fbclid=IwAR0Pi3ypdcq_PGv734rzFGjGle1YTxSfWGcRl8mAkOLdo9k7JQljaG2x1Vw

In France, and with all sums expressed in euros at constant 2017 values, GDP grew by 23% between 2000 and 2017. But this growth, whilst adding €433bn to GDP, was accompanied by a €3.07tn increase in aggregate debt. This means that each €1 of reported growth in the French economy has come at a cost of more than €7 in net new debt. Put another way, whilst French GDP is growing at between 1.5% and 2.0%, annual borrowing is running at about 9.5% of GDP.

no wonder their is a big problem in france

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
20 hours ago, reddog said:

Looks like the Yellow vests are back with a bang. All the Christmas pudding didn't pacifying them!

Obviously the last thing Macron and the French MSM wanted.

Could things start ramping up again for the yellow vests?

You have to find hard to find this on the BBC news website these days - incljuding the storming yesterday of one French ministry with a truck by the protestors. 

Yet they have a major front page headline about the fact that Saudi women will now get their divorces confirmed by text - so they are aware their hubbie has  actuallydivorced them - and a French footballer has been fined for sending some texts with expletives in them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46770612

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46773511

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4425
45 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

You have to find hard to find this on the BBC news website these days - incljuding the storming yesterday of one French ministry with a truck by the protestors. 

Yet they have a major front page headline about the fact that Saudi women will now get their divorces confirmed by text - so they are aware their hubbie has  actuallydivorced them - and a French footballer has been fined for sending some texts with expletives in them.

You would think that the powers that be are getting afraid of something.

Do you think Putin is doing a 'European Spring'

Edited by prozac