House Price Crash Forum

Yellow Vest Protests

reddog

HOLA441
4 hours ago, MancTom said:

could also be the russians funding them in an attempt to destabilise a major european country.

The syrian war started off with protests and just escalated and escalated. Before long outside parties were arming the various factions.

Even Putin could not destabilise a major European country 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
On 02/12/2018 at 08:00, Si1 said:

I'd beg to differ mate, we have brexit.

You poor naive thing! May's deal will be voted down, new referendum will be called, then there will be the biggest government propaganda operation since the Iraq war to make sure the plebs vote the correct answer this time. Then the plebs will quietly go back to their lives of wage/debt slavery. Oh, and if they say something offensive, they will be arrested, which is a real thing and is getting worse.

Come on, who can seriously not see this coming a mile off? This country is completely finished. It really is time to start making contingency plans imo.

Edited by AdamoMucci

HOLA447
23 hours ago, MancTom said:

could also be the russians funding them

RUSSIA DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11ONE

That place must be full of absolute geniuses. How is it such a puny little country with such a sh*tty little economy can cause such unanswerable worldwide havoc? How come it is so difficult for Mi6 and CIA and the French and German equivalents to use the same tactics against Russia? Oh thats right, the Russia stuff is BS propaganda that a certain section of middle class wage slave office drone plebs (who think they are educated, intelligent, enlightened) lap up as they jerk off to their copy of the Guardian.

Edited by AdamoMucci

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Looks like Macron has backed down, which a relief because we have to drive the full length of France in two weeks.

Personally I'm not convinced that it will be that easy for the government, now the cat is out of the bag. From what I've read it sounded like it had transformed into a wider protest about the cost of living. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
16 hours ago, Wayward said:

Mob rule...

Vote in gov that acts on its manifesto promise,  minority don't like it so they smash the place up. Democratically elected gov drops promised policy. Happens time and again in France.

Good for them - in the UK or US the only hope of getting people motivated enough to go on the streets would be to demand unisex bathrooms or some such social justice rubbish.   At least the French care enough about political realities to take concrete action when the establishment screws them over.

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

Good for them - in the UK or US the only hope of getting people motivated enough to go on the streets would be to demand unisex bathrooms or some such social justice rubbish.   At least the French care enough about political realities to take concrete action when the establishment screws them over.

Very good. ?

(even if you did not intend it Mash).

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
23 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

We have been there...fuel blockades.  Not sure so great - lower taxes on those that use a lot of petrol and higher taxes on work.

HOLA4415
On 12/1/2018 at 3:30 PM, reddog said:

Anyone got any thoughts on them?

What is the background of the protesters (I mean economic group)?

Is it a case of the squeezed middle in one place at least deciding to fit back?

I will say one thing for the French, though know how to make themselves heard when they are being screwed, the French Revolution mentality as strong as ever. The closest we ever come is internet whinging or when some villainous thug is shot by police and those protesting ruin it by looting.

HOLA4416
On 02/12/2018 at 19:54, Insane said:

Thatcher placated many people by selling them their council house at a knock down price. She also knocked down Income Tax. The fact that most of what came off the basic rate of income tax went back on NI went over peoples heads , many believed the lie that NI was not TAX. 

Most people are varying levels of self-interest and struggle with the long term or bigger picture. Also council housing was getting too expensive in upkeep for the State and it carried out to fulfil expediency 25 to 35 years ago.

HOLA4417

I can see some inequality in the fuel tax.

When I lived in rural France, I was surprised about the kind of mileage you would run up. Services are spread more thinly . . . obviously, it's a huge country.  The bank was 15k in one direction, supermarket 10k in another,  Doctor, garage or council offices somewhere else again. You really are dead without wheels. And in a country that size, its unaffordable to provide the level of subsidised public transport people enjoy in the UK. 

Someone mentioned fuel costs in Italy. Thing is, it has always been high relative to average income. (Which can be a misleading figure.) But Italians drive within their means .  . . scooters, mopeds . . . almost as many new two-wheeled vehicles are registered as cars each year. And old cars are fine too, especially a 900cc Seicento. 

All a bit of an own goal by Macron, since it was rural voters in general who preferred him to urban voters.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
7 hours ago, Big Orange said:

Also council housing was getting too expensive in upkeep for the State and it carried out to fulfil expediency 25 to 35 years ago.

We spend far more now on housing benefit placing people in private sector housing  than they have saved from the upkeep of council houses. We have come to a point where many people who are working need help from the tax payer to pay the rent something not needed when they paid reasonable rents to the council. 

HOLA4420
On 03/12/2018 at 16:57, Freki said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/03/are-the-french-hit-especially-hard-by-fuel-taxes-protests

good analysis on the current cost. 

French people are not protesting on this specific issue, it was the spark. I am convinced any reversal won't affect the movement's intensity.

Yes that's what I gather, too - it was the last straw. I've found it so heartening, magnificent, ALLEZ LES VELOS!!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
7 hours ago, Big Orange said:

The 2011 outbreak was the criminal underworld stoking up the bored, abandoned inner city youths, etc, and the UK police cannot deploy nearly 100, 000 riot cops, with quite the same gear, but if attempted they would overstretch and collapse nationwide after a couple of days. 

i remember driving northwards during the london riots, i saw maybe 15 or 20 riot vans heading south on the other carriageway (from manchester), manchester police chief was very happy on the news that day 'we will send our boys down to sort out the london riots'

that night, riots in manchester.