House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Time for a Big Main Homelessness Thread on Hpc Forum?

Although it's often mentioned, I don't remember seeing a main thread on the subject.

As it's an ever increasing nightmare these days, perhaps we should have one. 

How London became a city where luxury flats sit empty and the homeless shiver in railway arches

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/11/how-london-became-city-where-luxury-flats-sit-empty-and-homeless-shiver-railway

'Housing Emergency' As Calls To Homelessness Helpline Soar, Shelter Says The number of families facing homelessness up 8 percent.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/shelter-housing-calls-helpline_uk_5bfd4ce2e4b0771fb6be2508

Visualizing The Surge In UK Homelessness  

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-28/visualizing-surge-uk-homelessness

30,000 empty homes and nowhere to live: inside Dublin’s housing crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/nov/29/empty-dublin-housing-crisis-airbnb-homelessness-landlords

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Good call

Maybe we need to have 10,000's of posts on this subject as opposed to Brexit, lets hope we do. Homelessness is far more complicated these days than the old man in a shop entrance with all his worldly goods in plastic bags, the government today has dozens of ways of masking the true homeless crisis, something they do so well.

44 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Although it's often mentioned, I don't remember seeing a main thread on the subject.

As it's an ever increasing nightmare these days, perhaps we should have one. 

How London became a city where luxury flats sit empty and the homeless shiver in railway arches

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/11/how-london-became-city-where-luxury-flats-sit-empty-and-homeless-shiver-railway

'Housing Emergency' As Calls To Homelessness Helpline Soar, Shelter Says The number of families facing homelessness up 8 percent.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/shelter-housing-calls-helpline_uk_5bfd4ce2e4b0771fb6be2508

Visualizing The Surge In UK Homelessness  

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-28/visualizing-surge-uk-homelessness

30,000 empty homes and nowhere to live: inside Dublin’s housing crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/nov/29/empty-dublin-housing-crisis-airbnb-homelessness-landlords

There were lots of people sleeping in doorways in the dying days of the last Tory government. It's a by product of voting for them, that's why it's happening again now. And always will be.

I accept that Labour - except 1945 - are mostly rubbish and would struggle to support them but as I recall they made quite a bit of headway on this twenty years ago.

For this reason alone they will always have an edge with me.

I believe the government could reduce homelessness significantly by two changes to rental laws done at the same time [as one is 'seen to' benefit many tenants and the other 'seen to' benefit many landlords so there is some fairness by introducing both together].

The changes are

1. get rid of s21 evictions completely. If you rent a flat/house you have permanent security of tenure providing you pay the bills and don't violate other conditions [antisocial behaviour, sublet, etc]. LL who wants to sell needs to find an investor buyer.

2. Make evictions for non-payment and violation of specific conditions very fast [few weeks] and very cheap so that LL who rents to those who have had problems in the pqast causing homelessness knows that should they have problems again, there is a remedy for the landlord.

In fact I think both changes would benefit mainly tenants who either behave well and pay their rent [90%+ of tenants] or want to get back to being in that group.

Even under tories HB pays rent for those who can't afford it.

Of course caps now mean you need to move away from the most expensive boroughs if you rely on benefits entirely but at least you would have an option [If LLs felt the risk of renting to such tenants was worth it].

The guy sleeping in the shop doorway is just the sharp tip of the iceberg....the issue for your regular HPC member is more likely to be the number of precariously housed people...those still living with their elderly parents and dreaming of a place of their own and a normal dignified family life, those living in cramped HMOs, those sleeping on a mate's sofa etc etc...this is HUGE not to mention those struggling to pay a private landlord.  All a direct and deliberate consequence of UKGov policy.

10 minutes ago, Wayward said:

All a direct and deliberate consequence of UKGov policy.

Agreed the insane levels of immigration under Blair and FOM of the EU have increased demand for housing beyond  any sense 

Many of the homeless that live on the street have other issues such as mental health and addiction problems....some prefer to live on the streets than stay in a homeless hostel for the night......the bigger problem are the people including families living in tempory/b&b that can last for months or years at a huge cost to local authorities..... landlords raking it in.....one guy told me what they charged for a room, electric ring, fan heater, plus shower/loo £800 per month the breakfast was large milk, half dozen eggs and large white loaf delivered on doorstep Mondays.......six similar in same building.😉

On 29/11/2018 at 12:27, ebull said:

I believe the government could reduce homelessness significantly by two changes to rental laws done at the same time [as one is 'seen to' benefit many tenants and the other 'seen to' benefit many landlords so there is some fairness by introducing both together].

The changes are

1. get rid of s21 evictions completely. If you rent a flat/house you have permanent security of tenure providing you pay the bills and don't violate other conditions [antisocial behaviour, sublet, etc]. LL who wants to sell needs to find an investor buyer.

2. Make evictions for non-payment and violation of specific conditions very fast [few weeks] and very cheap so that LL who rents to those who have had problems in the pqast causing homelessness knows that should they have problems again, there is a remedy for the landlord.

In fact I think both changes would benefit mainly tenants who either behave well and pay their rent [90%+ of tenants] or want to get back to being in that group.

Even under tories HB pays rent for those who can't afford it.

Of course caps now mean you need to move away from the most expensive boroughs if you rely on benefits entirely but at least you would have an option [If LLs felt the risk of renting to such tenants was worth it].

Super suggestions 

On this very day:

Hotel cancels Christmas Day booking for homeless

... like Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men! — Luke 2:14

No wonder some think Welby and his church are an irrelevance, when he has allowed the supposedly spiritual festival of Christmas to descend ever deeper into a showy, materialist gorge-fest with no place for the disenfanchised. 

Surely, Christmas should be the spiritual equivalent of 'The Temple'. How's about a touch of Matthew 21:12 Justin, you know, the bit where "Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold..."

Instead Justin seems to have more to say about Brexit. Maybe May should conduct the St Pauls Midnight Eucharist this Christmas? 'Spose it would leave Welby with more time to organize a second referendum, or whatever other role he thinks he occupies.

41 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

On this very day:

... like Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men! — Luke 2:14

No wonder some think Welby and his church are an irrelevance, when he has allowed the supposedly spiritual festival of Christmas to descend ever deeper into a showy, materialist gorge-fest with no place for the disenfanchised. 

Surely, Christmas should be the spiritual equivalent of 'The Temple'. How's about a touch of Matthew 21:12 Justin, you know, the bit where "Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold..."

Instead Justin seems to have more to say about Brexit. Maybe May should conduct the St Pauls Midnight Eucharist this Christmas? 'Spose it would leave Welby with more time to organize a second referendum, or whatever other role he thinks he occupies.

I don't see how Welby is supposed to have any influence over the materialistic gorge-fest.  

I am not remotely religious, but I'm aware that a good many churches quietly do their bit for the homeless and disadvantaged.

St Martin in the Fields has been doing a great deal for many years.  

20 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

I don't see how Welby is supposed to have any influence over the materialistic gorge-fest.  

I'm not suggesting he is supposed to have influence.

I'm merely stating the obvious: a supposedly spiritual person should be at least trying to point us in a different direction. It is surely well overdue. If he doesn't hurry up, the environmentalists will beat him to it.

20 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

I'm not suggesting he is supposed to have influence.

I'm merely stating the obvious: a supposedly spiritual person should be at least trying to point us in a different direction. It is surely well overdue. If he doesn't hurry up, the environmentalists will beat him to it.

We are all spiritual.....some more than others, when human beings are judged as little worth, worth less than an empty flat, something has got to be wrong with humanity.:blink:

2 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

On this very day:

I expected this to come up soon enough, but I do agree with the hotel on this, as I expect such booking to result in at least some damage to the hotel.  

There may be some unfortunate homeless which did their best but still ended up on a street, but quite a few would have alchohol/drugs problems combined with some poor hygiene. 

It's all good to be charitable until you get flea or bedbug infestation.

Edited by Bear Hug

On 11/29/2018 at 5:23 PM, winkie said:

Many of the homeless that live on the street have other issues such as mental health and addiction problems....some prefer to live on the streets than stay in a homeless hostel for the night......the bigger problem are the people including families living in tempory/b&b that can last for months or years at a huge cost to local authorities..... landlords raking it in.....one guy told me what they charged for a room, electric ring, fan heater, plus shower/loo £800 per month the breakfast was large milk, half dozen eggs and large white loaf delivered on doorstep Mondays.......six similar in same building.😉

Yep that is very true, I have done a lot of work with crisis over the years and I have seen it time  and time again, adversity even for a short while in peoples lives and they can never get back on track again. Many prefer the streets than the hostels as they are just too dangerous. I can tell you without a doubt that things are getting worse, a lot worse, and as many are saying the people you see on the roads in an old smelly sleeping bag is just the tip of the iceberg.

I usually do a stint at Xmas down in London for crisis, but this year I just cannot take it and the selfish side of me is just going to have a good Xmas myself and f*** everyone else for a while, didn't help getting attacked by a mas Russian as well last year. I was hoping this thread would be far more popular than it is, because trust me it can happen to any of us, no matter how determined you are that it just would not happen to you. 

1 hour ago, localhero1983 said:

Yep that is very true, I have done a lot of work with crisis over the years and I have seen it time  and time again, adversity even for a short while in peoples lives and they can never get back on track again. Many prefer the streets than the hostels as they are just too dangerous. I can tell you without a doubt that things are getting worse, a lot worse, and as many are saying the people you see on the roads in an old smelly sleeping bag is just the tip of the iceberg.

I usually do a stint at Xmas down in London for crisis, but this year I just cannot take it and the selfish side of me is just going to have a good Xmas myself and f*** everyone else for a while, didn't help getting attacked by a mas Russian as well last year. I was hoping this thread would be far more popular than it is, because trust me it can happen to any of us, no matter how determined you are that it just would not happen to you. 

?

13 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Mad Russian

ah yes missed that.

i had a similar experience in the late 90`s, had this trampy looking guy coming up to me swearing at me calling me a fat clunt asking me for money and spat at my trousers.  

i proceeded to take some change out and drop it into the gutter where he could not get it.  last time i took any notice of them.  The guy obviously blames everyone else for how he ended up.  The 90`s was a lot cheaper accommodation wise than now as well. 

As a resident in a supposedly well off village in Cambridgeshire, I was shocked to find the local food bank is preparing for 60 Xmas hampers for families in the area. That is 100% up on last year. The folks running the food bank say its all down to being in a universal credit area. I helped them do an emergency pack for three families of 2 adults and 3 children, 15 people who would get nothing for 6 weeks. Its a deliberate government policy to grind the poor into the ground. The only thing those families could get was a LOAN that had to be repaid rapidly when they finally get their benefit. As someone who has been job hunting for nine months - nobody wants a 60 year old manager, it is only my savings that keeps me from the same state of poverty. Of course my savings prevent me from claiming any benefit, so when the money runs out maybe I shall be queuing at the food bank as well. One of our local MPs was reported to have said food banks should not give fresh fruit so that the recipients will get bored of tinned food and get a job. Fortunately for him I wasn't actually present at the time.

5 hours ago, Travisher said:

As a resident in a supposedly well off village in Cambridgeshire, I was shocked to find the local food bank is preparing for 60 Xmas hampers for families in the area. That is 100% up on last year. The folks running the food bank say its all down to being in a universal credit area. I helped them do an emergency pack for three families of 2 adults and 3 children, 15 people who would get nothing for 6 weeks. Its a deliberate government policy to grind the poor into the ground. The only thing those families could get was a LOAN that had to be repaid rapidly when they finally get their benefit. As someone who has been job hunting for nine months - nobody wants a 60 year old manager, it is only my savings that keeps me from the same state of poverty. Of course my savings prevent me from claiming any benefit, so when the money runs out maybe I shall be queuing at the food bank as well. One of our local MPs was reported to have said food banks should not give fresh fruit so that the recipients will get bored of tinned food and get a job. Fortunately for him I wasn't actually present at the time.

Cannot help feeling that we are now living in an era where some people will claim they live in a nice cosy home because they abide  by good "Tory values" throughout their lives and those struggling have got what they deserve. Time and time again I see Tory policies that go out of their way to protect the good old homeowner no matter what self inflicted trouble they get into. I know Theresa May is only a one trick pony at the moment with Brexit, but in her I see that so called God fearing woman who as a kid"played in the wheat fields" who I bet deep down has rather darker views on why the poor are poor and it is probably more to do  how they brought it on themselves as she steps over the sleeping bags in the street in order to get to her local village fete to raise money for their village hall.

There will always be someone worse off, often circumstances beyond their control with no support network....as many mad and nasty as well as good people with homes as without......mistakes happen, fortunes fail......thin line between sanity and insanity......we are all the same, we all need others and the support of others to survive......helping others if we can only help ourselves.😉