Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midlifemum

Dublin’s housing crisis

Recommended Posts

These people are all students - what do they expect - when I was a student I could not afford a nice penthouse flat I lived in a hovel with 5 other people fgs

He’s in drama therapy in school, for anxiety,” she tells me. “He cries a lot. He doesn’t believe in Santy [Father Christmas] any more. He’s not an angry child, but he’s lonely: he’s so, so lonely. There’s no kids his age here: they’re all babies. The PlayStation’s his best friend, because he can get on that headset and talk to his friends from school. That’s it.”

He is depressed because he does not go out and mix and socialise with other kids and plays a screen all day.  If there are no kids in the block she is in there sure will be in the nearby streets and at school. She says he is lonely but then says he plays PS all day.  What does she expect for kids to knock at the door and say can be be your sons buddy? 

He should not believe in santy he is TEN

Last week, a survey titled the Expat City Ranking found that among people who live and work abroad, Dublin came out as the world’s worst capital for affordable accommodation.

Great so let us build cheap houses for migrants!  The insane levels of immigration have made the situation far worse. 

 

They came home from New Zealand three years ago. They’re living in their ma’s shed. Their two kids are in bunkbeds in the house. I have friends in their 30s who can’t leave home. I have friends who live in log cabins.”

I assume if they have just come back they are not working?

 

I think you are now going to have a generation of young girls that are addicted to anti-anxiety medication and antidepressants. I can’t get through a day without taking my anti-anxiety medication. If I was to stay here with you without taking it … well, once I get going, I’m fine. But once I’m in that room, I feel like I can’t breathe. I feel like the walls are closing in on me.”

I am sick of hearing about my generation's depression and anxiety - many do not have a clue  - (being on the Somme was stress ) bet all these stressed out people have a smartphone and eat out 2/3 times a week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, happyguy said:

These people are all students - what do they expect - when I was a student I could not afford a nice penthouse flat I lived in a hovel with 5 other people fgs

He’s in drama therapy in school, for anxiety,” she tells me. “He cries a lot. He doesn’t believe in Santy [Father Christmas] any more. He’s not an angry child, but he’s lonely: he’s so, so lonely. There’s no kids his age here: they’re all babies. The PlayStation’s his best friend, because he can get on that headset and talk to his friends from school. That’s it.”

He is depressed because he does not go out and mix and socialise with other kids and plays a screen all day.  If there are no kids in the block she is in there sure will be in the nearby streets and at school. She says he is lonely but then says he plays PS all day.  What does she expect for kids to knock at the door and say can be be your sons buddy? 

He should not believe in santy he is TEN

Last week, a survey titled the Expat City Ranking found that among people who live and work abroad, Dublin came out as the world’s worst capital for affordable accommodation.

Great so let us build cheap houses for migrants!  The insane levels of immigration have made the situation far worse. 

 

They came home from New Zealand three years ago. They’re living in their ma’s shed. Their two kids are in bunkbeds in the house. I have friends in their 30s who can’t leave home. I have friends who live in log cabins.”

I assume if they have just come back they are not working?

 

I think you are now going to have a generation of young girls that are addicted to anti-anxiety medication and antidepressants. I can’t get through a day without taking my anti-anxiety medication. If I was to stay here with you without taking it … well, once I get going, I’m fine. But once I’m in that room, I feel like I can’t breathe. I feel like the walls are closing in on me.”

I am sick of hearing about my generation's depression and anxiety - many do not have a clue  - (being on the Somme was stress ) bet all these stressed out people have a smartphone and eat out 2/3 times a week

Well... Imagine living in London being paid minimum wage, renting a room for crazy money with a pitiful leaving standard... I consider that some of my generation can justify their stress and anxiety levels easily.

If I was in their situation I would migrate to other parts of the UK or just leave the country, but they don’t seem to like any of these options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happyguy said:

another city that has seen mass immigration from the EU which has put pressure of rents and prices 

Why do most of them want to live in Dublin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Dublin has been pretty appalling for accommodation for the last decade and a half.

  Prices are sky high and there's a lot of really poorly maintained properties where the landlord doesn't bother spending any money. 

  Public transport is nothing like as good as London either so areas close to major employers are in heavy demand.  Road traffic is just ludicrous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

  Dublin has been pretty appalling for accommodation for the last decade and a half.

  Prices are sky high and there's a lot of really poorly maintained properties where the landlord doesn't bother spending any money. 

  Public transport is nothing like as good as London either so areas close to major employers are in heavy demand.  Road traffic is just ludicrous.

 

and very low density

 

I know of people living in cavan who have to drive 90 mins (on a toll road) to get to a park and ride for a train. then get a bus and walk. all in all they spend around 5 hours a day commuting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Burbujista said:

Well... Imagine living in London being paid minimum wage, renting a room for crazy money with a pitiful leaving standard... I consider that some of my generation can justify their stress and anxiety levels easily.

 If I was in their situation I would migrate to other parts of the UK or just leave the country, but they don’t seem to like any of these options.

but when I was a student I did live in a s++t houseshare I did not whine I got on with it and accepted that is part of the cycle of life I did not have a sense of entitlement at 18 years of age 

I agree they can move and many of these without jobs are from the EU Africa or Asia who have come here with no skills so cannot expect a huge salary

1 hour ago, prozac said:

Why do most of them want to live in Dublin 

It is a young person's city which has sort of become trendy in the last few years - but with that goes expensive rents/prices

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, happyguy said:

but when I was a student I did live in a s++t houseshare I did not whine I got on with it and accepted that is part of the cycle of life I did not have a sense of entitlement at 18 years of age 

I agree they can move and many of these without jobs are from the EU Africa or Asia who have come here with no skills so cannot expect a huge salary

It is a young person's city which has sort of become trendy in the last few years - but with that goes expensive rents/prices

So essentially we are going back to the city state as exemplified by ROME, all the wealth of the country side and the towns all the intellectual and human entertainment is moving here.

i guess London is the greatest city state in the world 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 140 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.