House Price Crash Forum
Longtermrenter

Rare Landlord prosecution

Ouch, looks like she is losing all her BTL profits.  Although it does seem to be due to her over-arching refusal to engage with the law, rather than because she rented beds in sheds particularly.

Edited by opt_out

37 minutes ago, Sausage said:

Bring it on. Hope it makes the mainstream media.

Next up Fungus Wilson!

Indeed.

The WIlson Woman is due to be sentenced too ...

Mrs Wilson will return to court on 11th December 2018, to hear Judge Barron pass sentence. He has made a financial circumstances order under Section 162 of the Criminal Justice Act, which requires Wilson to disclose in court documents that evidence all bank accounts, both individual and joint, plus all assets.

Having failed to do that, on 18 October 2018 Mrs Nadeem received a confiscation order of £447,552.22 – equivalent to the total equity she owns in her portfolio of rental properties

Please please please let the Wilson fine also be "equivalent to the total equity she owns in her portfolio of rental properties".

Edited by Aidan Ap Word
Extra thought

So can she just go to jail and not pay?

Surely this is a no-brainer for all councils lacking funds. Landlords are hated, especially rich Rachman-esque ones, so killing two birds with one stone...

Edited by fru-gal

7 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Indeed.

The WIlson Woman is due to be sentenced too ...

Please please please let the Wilson fine also be "equivalent to the total equity she owns in her portfolio of rental properties".

No no, not the equity. If she's in negative equity (as we think she may be) that would mean the court paying HER!

The fine needs to be equivalent to the total purchase prices, or current prices (whichever is higher), of all her properties both rental and current abode.

ps. 11th Dec is Brexit Bill vote day in the commons, isn't it? Hope the Wilson news isn't buried.

Edited by mrtickle

47 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

No no, not the equity. If she's in negative equity (as we think she may be) that would mean the court paying HER!

The fine needs to be equivalent to the total purchase prices, or current prices (whichever is higher), of all her properties both rental and current abode.

ps. 11th Dec is Brexit Bill vote day in the commons, isn't it? Hope the Wilson news isn't buried.

It likely will be. Not quite on the scale of $2,300,000,000,000 (yep - $2.3 Trilli0n and later reassessed as $8.5T) Donald R. umsfeld announced was 'unaccounted for' on September 10th, 2001.  Hmm. The next day was quite news worthy for other reasons including a jet airliner that managed to squeeze through a 4-foot hole into the accounting department responsible for finding it. Bit off topic, I know. 

But re: Judith (local shop). Let let the fair and just legal system follow its course to absolutely bleeding nowhere... 

9 hours ago, mrtickle said:

I suspect there 's a clause stopping the court paying her 😉

i'll be witing to the tv gods, suggesting a new series 

Won't pay? We'll take your BTL away !

15 hours ago, mrtickle said:

Good points.

Personally I think she should be fined to the point where she is left renting the (mildewed/mouldy) roof over her head from a landlord who doesn't care that the hot water doesn't work.

29 minutes ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Good points.

Personally I think she should be fined to the point where she is left renting the (mildewed/mouldy) roof over her head from a landlord who doesn't care that the hot water doesn't work.

Someone like ....mrs Nadeem 

On 28/11/2018 at 23:29, mrtickle said:

I've added it to my calendar. Seriously 😀

How do find a link to the court so we can see the timings and outcome? (Folkestone Magistrate Court)

Edited by Sausage

That's a great fine - good to see the courts showing some muscle. Clearly she thought that if you ignore the proceeding then they would go away and that she was somehow above the law.

This will send a warning to the beds in sheds landlord community that they would be stupid to ignore. 

9 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

Which means they'll ignore it...

Quite possibly. The sheds in beds phenomenon seems to be concentrated in communities to the west and North west of London who often do not come from the UK and where such issues in their countries of origin might be settled with a cash donation to the the local official rather than being escalated to the courts. There may not be the awareness of what the consequences might be.

I doubt it occurred to this lady what the fine might be. 

On 29/11/2018 at 09:45, Mrs Bear said:

Pay or jail?  WTF? 

Prison costs the taxpayer a bomb.  

Pay or confiscation of property.  Plus banning from any kind of LL-ing  in future. 

I agree with that, hit 'em where it hurts.....the pocket, the love of money.

edit to add:.    Always wonder who benefits from the fines, is it the victims of illegal practices?😉

Edited by winkie

20 hours ago, winkie said:

I agree with that, hit 'em where it hurts.....the pocket, the love of money.

edit to add:.    Always wonder who benefits from the fines, is it the victims of illegal practices?😉

You would assume that they could confiscate the property if she didn't pay.

Edited by Ah-so

4 hours ago, Ah-so said:

You would assume that they could confiscate the property of she didn't pay.

They've already knocked down the properties in question! As the official said, if they hadn't knocked it down she would still be renting it out.

15 hours ago, mrtickle said:

They've already knocked down the properties in question! As the official said, if they hadn't knocked it down she would still be renting it out.

I mean her actual houses not the sheds in the garden.