House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ebull

Renter unions protest at NatWest branches against mortgages that disallow HB tenants.

https://twitter.com/LDNRentersUnion/status/1066268705242402817

London Renters Union @LDNRentersUnion

"We've shut down NatWest in Stratford over their policy discriminating against renters on housing benefit! Customers are really supportive 😊…"

Made the ITN London news. Did anyone here attend?

I think the luxury of complaining about the big picture and use of public funds is restricted to to those who have enough funds to provide themselves with some sort of dry-warm-clean space.

Those who can't get even that minimum are being made into an untermensch by a corporate greedy bank only interested in their bonuses and dividends.

Agree that reducing HB and building council houses and letting insolvent banks go bust would be better long term. But it's reasonable for those in shite temp accomodation to only look at short term and see that some houses are being placed out of their reach by pure discrimination by Natwest.

Oh and if Natwest [et al] were prevented by law by making this restriction in their mortgages they would maybe either lend less to BTL or charge them more. Liking it better now?

RBS/Natwest really are an awful organisation anyway. There was a piece on Watchdog this week about them refusing to reimburse a victim of fraud where a first 5k transaction was made and IN THE SAME PHONE CALL they refused a second one as probable fraud. They then insisted for 18 months that customer had made the first transaction. Corrected only when contacted by BBC. I have experienced similar ridiculousness from them. Should be wound down IMO.

21 hours ago, ebull said:

Unlikely? Campaign for more lending into the BTL market? I am prepared to campaign and agitate but most the housing injustice campaigning i see going on is wrong headed.

2 hours ago, Wayward said:

Campaign for more lending into the BTL market?

Nope. The opposite of that.

The campaign is against Natwest including in BTL mortgage contracts the condition: "No DSS tenants". [Natwest have not yet caught up with whatever DSS is now called when you want to discriminate].

4 hours ago, ebull said:

I think the luxury of complaining about the big picture and use of public funds is restricted to to those who have enough funds to provide themselves with some sort of dry-warm-clean space.

It was only a couple of years ago I was living in the back of a lorry with my 10yo daughter. Restricted mortgage or not, the letting agents don't want to know.

3 hours ago, oatbake said:

I'm all for getting rid of this discrimination. It will force lenders to factor in the increased risk in the form of higher interest payments for BTL mortgages.

Agreed.

The sooner io btl irs are twice the rate of OO.

On 24/11/2018 at 18:40, ebull said:

"We've shut down NatWest in Stratford over their policy discriminating against renters on housing benefit! Customers are really supportive 😊…"

Yea I bet people trying to do a transaction were very supportive 

On 24/11/2018 at 18:40, ebull said:

No I have better things to do with my time 

17 hours ago, oatbake said:

I'm all for getting rid of this discrimination. It will force lenders to factor in the increased risk in the form of higher interest payments for BTL mortgages.

It will never happen

21 hours ago, ebull said:

Nope. The opposite of that.

The campaign is against Natwest including in BTL mortgage contracts the condition: "No DSS tenants". [Natwest have not yet caught up with whatever DSS is now called when you want to discriminate].

Yes campaigning for more lending into the BTL sector.

The bank is a private company and should be able to put whatever they like in the contract. They obviously class housing benefit tenants as high risk, which could prevent the landlord paying their mortgage. 

Its the same as car insurance companies charging more for young male drivers. It’s not discrimination, it’s based on data.

These people are being subsidised by the the public already and now want to be subsidised by the (publicly bailed out) bank too.