• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

Well if the rumors of death or incapacitation of Kim are true, the man who thinks we should inject disinfectant to cure corona virus may well have the biggest international issue on his hands since the end of the cold war.

North Korea is no threat to anyone, well except South Korea, and apart from Samsung and Hyundai and K-pop what is their contribution to reality 

If North Korea could be persuaded that the west has no bad intentions they would start looking at increasing their standard of living 

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

Really??

They are just miss understood, the Cold War is over and coronovirus is going to reshape the world, look at all the problems the world navies are having 

HOLA445
21 minutes ago, shlomo said:

They are just miss understood, the Cold War is over and coronovirus is going to reshape the world, look at all the problems the world navies are having 

So Japan just misunderstands the intent of a ballistic missile?

The cold war ended 30 years ago and NK have been a problem long before Corona virus.

What problems are the worlds navies having?

HOLA446
45 minutes ago, shlomo said:

The Korean war was an extension of WW2 and hasn't actually technically ended.

They have the biggest concentration of artillery in the world aimed at Seoul, which is unfortunate if things kick off again.

Edited by Si1

HOLA447
51 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

What problems are the worlds navies having?

Coronovirus, bing it

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449
3 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Coronavirus: 6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia owner

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52713791

Bella ciao? Job losses in hospitality could be brutal. Not only does the industry face the obvious social distancing issue, but some people will have learned to cook over the last 2 months.

HOLA4410
8 minutes ago, Voice of Doom said:

Bella ciao? Job losses in hospitality could be brutal. Not only does the industry face the obvious social distancing issue, but some people will have learned to cook over the last 2 months.

Even after we open up, all the corporate hospitality/entertainment will be off the agenda for at least a couple of years and may not come back at the scale it was previously for a very long time.

Could be a good couple of years for real sports fans

HOLA4411

I was listening to David Starkey on Peter Whittles podcast tonight about covid 19 and the govts response to it. Something he said that i had completely overlooked was that for all the talk of how the pandemic has highlighted the weakness in supply chains and the downside of globalised trade especially with a country like China. Its the fact this also highlights the glaring stupidity of having a good deal of UK's economy based in the service sector.

I agree its going to be a good couple of years to get going if we ever do and whilst i myself have collected some handouts in recent weeks i'm more than a little worried about the long term implications of this. Can't imagine what the high street is going to look like in six months time given the sheer number of insolvencies of big names.

Just got two jobs confirmed today to start in a couple of weeks time but after that who knows? 

I wouldn't rule out packing in my job (woodworking) and going  and doing a driving job or something like that. I realised the biggest mistake i made after the credit crunch in 08 was hanging on for a couple years living off savings waiting for demand to come back. This time round i won't be waiting plus i have fuq all savings so that centres the mind a little.

You know its bad when your previously greedy as fuq plumber /gas engineer (wouldn't get outta bed for less than £400 a day, couldn't be arsed to return my calls when i needed him) offers himself to you as a labourer for a job he knows i've got coming up!

What will collapse next? Well I'm still waiting on the posh tat shop (think Harry Enfields i saw you coming routine) in my high street to go pop along with the artisanal bread and cake BS fest a couple of doors up. Fingers crossed.

Edited by burk

HOLA4412
37 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Even after we open up, all the corporate hospitality/entertainment will be off the agenda for at least a couple of years and may not come back at the scale it was previously for a very long time.

apart from the spoons crowd who tend to be old anyway. i often wonder how many have died from my usual haunts 

HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, longgone said:

apart from the spoons crowd who tend to be old anyway. i often wonder how many have died from my usual haunts 

Just before lockdown I went down to my local Spoons and saw i guy who I was quite friendly with (intelligent guy, just an alcoholic). Hadn't seen him in a while and I asked why and he replied that he had had a stroke and been in the hospital but made a good recovery. Hilariously (if there is a funny side to stroke) this happened to him whilst in the said Spoons - "I was cutting into a pizza the fork went wobbly then I woke up in hospital"

HOLA4414
23 minutes ago, smash said:

Just before lockdown I went down to my local Spoons and saw i guy who I was quite friendly with (intelligent guy, just an alcoholic). Hadn't seen him in a while and I asked why and he replied that he had had a stroke and been in the hospital but made a good recovery. Hilariously (if there is a funny side to stroke) this happened to him whilst in the said Spoons - "I was cutting into a pizza the fork went wobbly then I woke up in hospital"

You do get some strange ones in there, I met a guy once pure pisshead very eccentric walked about with cans in his pocket always wore a suit jacket. His dad was the inventor of epoxy apparently could be Bs went on for about half an hour about it so probably true or very rehearsed BS.

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, longgone said:

You do get some strange ones in there, I met a guy once pure pisshead very eccentric walked about with cans in his pocket always wore a suit jacket. His dad was the inventor of epoxy apparently could be Bs went on for about half an hour about it so probably true or very rehearsed BS.

Oh, thats the type alright. I love some of the stories in the Spoons in house magazine as well with my fave being the wake for one the customers being held in the pub. Pictures of smiling mates raising a glass - "Frank 57, died of heart disease and loved the Moon On The Water he would be very pleased that we held a wake here after his funeral". 

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Hmmm,  that could be a very interesting financial change if the "VIP Tent" part of sports spectating is pared back

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
16 minutes ago, Timbuk3 said:

Bella Italia, Cafe Rouge owner lining up administration.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52713791

Dining out has to be one of the last areas to recover, if at all. 

I used to like cafe rouge but when it got to ÂŁ7 for a bowl of french onion soup the writing was on the wall.

HOLA4419
6 hours ago, Timbuk3 said:

Bella Italia, Cafe Rouge owner lining up administration.

Dining out has to be one of the last areas to recover, if at all. 

Bella Italia is a horrible, HORRIBLE restaurant.  The only visit I ever had there the food was so terrible I had to leave it and go and get dinner elsewhere.  Good riddance.

Cafe Rouge is nice but very expensive.

Dining out will be back ... I can't see how it wouldn't.  5 years from now, when everyone is vaccinated or immune to COVID19, why wouldn't people be going out to dinner again just like they did in 2019?

HOLA4420
20 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Bella Italia is a horrible, HORRIBLE restaurant.  The only visit I ever had there the food was so terrible I had to leave it and go and get dinner elsewhere.  Good riddance.

Cafe Rouge is nice but very expensive.

Dining out will be back ... I can't see how it wouldn't.  5 years from now, when everyone is vaccinated or immune to COVID19, why wouldn't people be going out to dinner again just like they did in 2019?

Thousands have been cooking and learning to cook over the last few weeks and  enjoying it.....using basic quality ingredients, tasty and fresh, many more will be growing fresh vegetables and fruit on small garden plots and allotments.......sure there will always be a place to meet others, celebrate and invest and enjoy in eating out from time to time.....word of mouth, recommendation.....don't want to make big mistake again and avoid at all costs of being offered up poor food that is overpriced.....nothing more embarrassing or that horrible feeling of being taken for a ride or being ripped off, when the whole episode was something would not want to remember, rather than remember... remember not to do it again in a rush...?

Edited by winkie

HOLA4421
19 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Because

• they got out of the habit,
  • they are saving for the next pandemic,
  • they learnt to cook better during shutdown,
  • they don't have a job...

to name a few

HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, winkie said:

Thousands have been cooking and learning to cook over the last few weeks and  enjoying it.....using basic quality ingredients, tasty and fresh, many more will be growing fresh vegetables and fruit on small garden plots and allotments.......sure there will always be a place to meet others, celebrate and invest and enjoy in eating out from time to time.....word of mouth, recommendation.....don't want to make big mistake again and avoid at all costs of being offered up poor food that is overpriced.....nothing more embarrassing or that horrible feeling of being taken for a ride or being ripped off, when the whole episode was something would not want to remember, rather than remember... remember not to do it again in a rush...?

A couple fo weeks ago I cooked a nice burger. I went to the local sainsburys and bought all I needed. I realized that my favorite burger chain use the same bun and products you can get from the supermarket. And I when I say the same, I mean the same. Maybe meat was different. But bun cheese, salad source, were exactly what I was paying 9 pounds for. I think it costed me a couple of pounds to cook it my self at home. I will no longer pay this premium, only in special occasions. Or, I will go out for some quality. Plenty of places in London where you can find it. But the mainstream chain? No.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
10 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Because

• they got out of the habit,
  • they are saving for the next pandemic,
  • they learnt to cook better during shutdown,
  • they don't have a job...

to name a few

For a while, yes.

But my point is there comes a point when those things cease to apply.

Just look at 2008 - you'd think that people would have learned to live differently after such a deep recession with runs on banks etc etc

But time passes, and people forget.

I said 5 years above, and granted it could be 6, or 7, or whatever.  But the idea that dining out will NEVER return to 2019 levels seems to me to be highly unlikely.

HOLA4425
22 minutes ago, longgone said:

Has the inflation begun Already ??

Flicked over to QVC shopping  channel And they were trying to flog 10 frozen chicken pies £35 and 6 quid delivery, with a 3 easy payments option.

The world has gone mad.

Pay by instalment for food? WTF