House Price Crash Forum
Pop321

New Build Nightmare 354 Defects

BBC today. Whilst I suspect SOME people who buy a brand spanking new house are probably a little fussy (and why not...it’s new and generally a higher price) in this example I think there might be a case to answer😉

They have even asked the house builder to take the keys back...but they refused. Ouch! 

Quote and link below  

‘’Two years after buying their £325,000 house from developers Bovis, Craig Wakeman and partner Tracey Bickford are still waiting to move in after discovering their dream home was riddled with 354 defects, many of them structural.’’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46302905

Why are they "asking" Bovis to take the house back, why aren't they suing the ****s? Probably would be cheaper with 354 faults including 'structural' issues to knock the thing down and start again.

There were photo going around on Facebook showing some shockingly bad bricklaying on new builds. They can't get the skilled labour.

2 hours ago, dom said:

There were photo going around on Facebook showing some shockingly bad bricklaying on new builds. They can't get the skilled cheap and yet also quality labour.

Pay peanuts get monkeys

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

Did they not have a surveyor's report?  Or don't you get them with new builds.

You need one for a mortgage.

But those NHBC guarantees are worth their weight in gold.🤪

It’s not a great advert. Old houses (Victorian) could often be built badly but the materials were quality and held the place together. However, poor workmanship and poor materials are a recipe for disaster.🤔 

24 minutes ago, Pop321 said:

It’s not a great advert. Old houses (Victorian) could often be built badly but the materials were quality and held the place together. However, poor workmanship and poor materials are a recipe for disaster.🤔 

Sometimes, the really badly built Victorian ones will have fallen down years ago though (probably within a few years of being built to be fair - then you'll have something that'll either last no time or ages). I've got some very off-square bits in my (probably) Victorian house, including a clock that has to hang vertically for the pendulum to swing free - the bottom rests against the wall, the top of the clock is about an inch away from the wall.

Wonky brickwork itself surely shouldn't be a problem in and of its own, and the exact precision of everything on modern buildings contributes to their sterility but on a newbuild I'd certainly take it as a sign of shoddy construction all around.

To be honest, I don't know why people exchange on new builds until the roof is on and it's water tight. Up until that point you can inspect it yourself, and if they are any major problems you walk away.

People may think they're getting a bargain 'off plan' but the age of vastly rising property prices are over so this no longer applies.