House Price Crash Forum
dom

Landlords boycott businesses that support homeless charity.

“In addition to allegedly helping people into housing we have also heard how they and others ‘help’ tenants remain in their housing by informing them that they can wait for the bailiffs in cases of eviction – a process which is ruinous and devastating for landlords."

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/landlords-who-have-had-enough-of-being-bashed-to-organise-boycott-of-businesses-that-support-shelter/?fbclid=IwAR3T_EL54B-1BQn9gvVjShCgIuPQNr3h7ezsQi34_E0vr0XD56qvZ7E6EQw

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/social-activism/landlords-are-boycotting-companies-that-support-homelessness-charity-shelter/

Reported in big issue website also...seems residential landlords are determined to get a reputation for being heartless and greedy.  I would think nearly all observers will view this campaign against the charity Shelter in that context.  This makes it easier for the UKGov to turn the screws on landlords without political push back.

Linked issue...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46308771

More reporting on landlords up to no good.  High fees, pocketing deposits etc and UKGovs attempts to control this.  My point on this issue is that Gov regulation won't really help.  What is at play here is the power balance between LLs and Ts.  This will only change with the supply and demand dynamics...less demand from Europeans is the game changer that will shift the balance of power more towards tenants.  All those young tenants out campaigning against Brexit and FoM etc are campaigning for a weak power relationship with their landlords.

Bring it on. There is no benefit of LL picking this fight for the reasons mentioned above.

Anything that removes political protection against Tenant rights and LL regulation is worth it. 

2 minutes ago, happyguy said:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm - the BI does have a certain bias though

..landlord's openly campaigning against Shelter?  the man woman on the street will not be impressed.  Regardless of the issues and detail.

5 hours ago, dom said:

“In addition to allegedly helping people into housing we have also heard how they and others ‘help’ tenants remain in their housing by informing them that they can wait for the bailiffs in cases of eviction – a process which is ruinous and devastating for landlords."

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/landlords-who-have-had-enough-of-being-bashed-to-organise-boycott-of-businesses-that-support-shelter/?fbclid=IwAR3T_EL54B-1BQn9gvVjShCgIuPQNr3h7ezsQi34_E0vr0XD56qvZ7E6EQ

These landlords seem mighty thick to me.

Shelter's advice is based on the law or whatever regulation affects a person's  right to be housed by the authorities.

If you have to get evicted to have a prospect of being rehoused, exactly what advice do they think Shelter are going to give out?

Exactamundo. Shelter advise tenants that if they vacate the property before the bailiffs arrive, they risk being found to be voluntarily homeless and the LHA will not rehome them. It would be wrong and irresponsible for them to give any other advice. 

Imagine if Shelter were to tell someone to leave early, and they became homeless as a result.

What a total PR own-goal by the institute of greedy grabbers or whatever they call themselves.

I'll be much more likely to buy from B&Q and M&S as a result of this article, to show my support for them not backing down to these sorts of threats.

I'm sure Shelter aren't without faults, but a bunch of selfish money grabbers threatening companies that support a charity is not going to go down at all well.

Just the same characteristic of how these Landlords think so much of themselves. First as providers of housing, now as big patrons of business big enough to have an effect if they boycott.

"I have already decided to no longer shop at B&Q for the materials needed for my large portfolio of houses in south Wales"

I wonder what kind of outfit " Dr Ros Beck " is running if she shops for materials at B&Q. It's like a professional mechanic buying their parts from Halfords. Everyone I know with any interest in property maintenance has an account at Jewson or RGB. It implies she does the work herself and is too incompetent to order at the counter, instead preferring to browse the aisles looking for stuff that'll "do the job". She sounds like an utter shit kicker.

Edited by dom
to insult "Dr Ros Beck"

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:48, Tes Tickle said:

What a total PR own-goal by the institute of greedy grabbers or whatever they call themselves.

I'll be much more likely to buy from B&Q and M&S as a result of this article, to show my support for them not backing down to these sorts of threats.

I'm sure Shelter aren't without faults, but a bunch of selfish money grabbers threatening companies that support a charity is not going to go down at all well.

https://www.property118.com/well-done-bq-raising-1million-charity-advising-tenants-break-law/

B&Q are celebrating raising £1m for Shelter and therefore Property118 are back to campaigning against Shelter and boycotting B&Q.  I think this helps us since it alienates the general public against residential landlords and makes it easier politically for HMG to screw them over.

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

https://www.property118.com/well-done-bq-raising-1million-charity-advising-tenants-break-law/

B&Q are celebrating raising £1m for Shelter and therefore Property118 are back to campaigning against Shelter and boycotting B&Q.  I think this helps us since it alienates the general public against residential landlords and makes it easier politically for HMG to screw them over.

Classic case of BTLer brain on that article, emotion-clouded judgement and incapable of grasping detail:

Well Done B&Q raising £1million for “charity” advising tenants to break the law!

Waiting until the bailiffs arrive before vacating a property is not "breaking the law", it is following the proper legal process for eviction to the letter.

Edited by Dorkins

On 24/11/2018 at 15:30, dom said:

"I have already decided to no longer shop at B&Q for the materials needed for my large portfolio of houses in south Wales"

I wonder what kind of outfit " Dr Ros Beck " is running if she shops for materials at B&Q. It's like a professional mechanic buying their parts from Halfords. Everyone I know with any interest in property maintenance has an account at Jewson or RGB. It implies she does the work herself and is too incompetent to order at the counter, instead preferring to browse the aisles looking for stuff that'll "do the job". She sounds like an utter shit kicker.

Cake maker and sock knitter and doctor of Criminology. 

On 26/02/2019 at 20:45, Dražen Petrović said:

Cake maker and sock knitter and doctor of DEBTOLOGY. 

FTFY surely.. Although I will accept that most of her writing is a crime against the english language

On 24/11/2018 at 15:30, dom said:

For a long time now the quality of materials sold in B&Q has been so poor that one can only expect 6 months life expectancy out of most of it. Toilet seats that break, shower hoses and heads that are just rubbish etc.. Its quite clear that they are aiming at the landlord market. Landlords fit rubbish in the houses that cannot survive a tenancy and give the excuse to retain deposits - which pay for a new set of rubbish to be fitted for the next victim/tenant.

10 hours ago, Travisher said:

For a long time now the quality of materials sold in B&Q has been so poor that one can only expect 6 months life expectancy out of most of it. Toilet seats that break, shower hoses and heads that are just rubbish etc.. Its quite clear that they are aiming at the landlord market. Landlords fit rubbish in the houses that cannot survive a tenancy and give the excuse to retain deposits - which pay for a new set of rubbish to be fitted for the next victim/tenant.

You a self made businessman too bruv? Respect