House Price Crash Forum
longgone

i hope he wins and gets damages also

Really odd story. We are bombarded with ads publicising winners (eg, the Postcode Lottery), presumably because this is the very best advertising a gambling firm can buy. Indeed, if nobody won all the time, I dare say they would just forge winners: pick anyone and give 'em the winning hand / ticket etc.

But here we have a company that has a genuine winner, and instead of making a virtue of it, they are turning it into the ultimate bad PR story. Like WTF?

Much panelist hand-wringing on last night's Question Time wrt Bet365's Denise Coates £265m take-home pay, given the rising tide of gambling-addiction related suicides.

skynews-denise-coates-bet365_4494969.jpg

But just what can the establishment say when she's been awarded a CBE and is merely making money from activities engaged in by our own government (the National Lottery).

Edited by Sledgehead

4 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

But just what can the establishment say when she's been awarded a CBE and is merely making money from activities engaged in by our own government (the National Lottery).

They're too confused - very well paid woman, yay, good for the old discrimination tick boxes, but it's gambling! Must be tearing their poor little minds apart.

18 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Much panelist hand-wringing on last night's Question Time wrt Bet365's Denise Coates £265m take-home pay, given the rising tide of gambling-addiction related suicides.

Typical Cameron-Blair neoliberal confused nonsense.

21 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

CBE for being a chunt. 

imagine the collective misery this woman has caused

Gambling is just a horrible curse of the modern age. The old adage about Sir Philip Greens yacht floating on pensioners' tears could be probably be applied to that woman in a similar way.

How many gambling addicts, some in their teens, did her firm create to be able to pay that bonus?

If there is a need for tax, then it is gambling, usury and all the other immoral things people have known about for thousands of years that should be taxed in a way that no one person can benefit from others' misery in this way.

Instead we have a system that taxes the income of people who barely earn enough to provide for their families. The ones that want to provide are forced to take on huge debts.

Edited by Captain Kirk

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

If there is a need for tax, then it is gambling, usury and all the other immoral things people have known about for thousands of years that should be taxed in a way that no one person can benefit from others' misery in this way.

Instead we have a system that taxes the income of people who barely earn enough to provide for their families. The ones that want to provide are forced to take on huge debts.

Yep the establishment would like to take advantage of basic human behavior to enrich themselves.  

Mondeo driving pleb is poor earns median wage pays income tax pays rent or mortgage has little left at the end of the month, scratches around for a way to make a few pennies tries luck at gambling wins a few times thinks it`s easy gets hooked starts losing tries to win back loses only thinks about the times they won and now the hook is securely fastened. 

work place has a competent wage slave bank has a regular debt slave William hill takes what left as pleb tries to jump out of their sad slave existence. 

No-one's forced to gamble. Too much here saying "we need to look after everyone because some people won't look after themselves." You screw your life up through gambling it's your own damned fault, no-one else's.

7 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

No-one's forced to gamble. Too much here saying "we need to look after everyone because some people won't look after themselves." You screw your life up through gambling it's your own damned fault, no-one else's.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/22/gambling-children-hooked-public-health

reminds me of the tobacco companies in the 50`s 60`s 70s

why does gambling need to be advertised we all know what it is.  why does national tv have roulette wheels spinning in the early hours of the morning ?

34 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The problem is it affects others as well. No man is an island and all that.

6 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

The problem is it affects others as well. No man is an island and all that.

And in general I'd rather put up with the negative effects of others' behaviour like that than live in a cotton wool wrapped world due to measures supposedly to help a few people but which really impact us all. Only approaches directly targetted at those causing trouble to others alone are acceptable, plus offering support to those who end up with a problem and want help dealing with it (chucking mandated "awareness" labels on everything goes into cotton wool territory though).

Edited by Riedquat

6 hours ago, longgone said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/22/gambling-children-hooked-public-health

reminds me of the tobacco companies in the 50`s 60`s 70s

why does gambling need to be advertised we all know what it is.  why does national tv have roulette wheels spinning in the early hours of the morning ?

We all know what cars do, we all know what supermarkets do, yet they advertise. What goes on on TV in the early hours shouldn't need to take children in to account. It's true that some parents don't do their job but the state stepping in and trying to parent everyone blanket-fashion is not an acceptable alternative.

12 hours ago, Riedquat said:

And in general I'd rather put up with the negative effects of others' behaviour like that than live in a cotton wool wrapped world due to measures supposedly to help a few people but which really impact us all. Only approaches directly targetted at those causing trouble to others alone are acceptable, plus offering support to those who end up with a problem and want help dealing with it (chucking mandated "awareness" labels on everything goes into cotton wool territory though).

I tend to agree with you somewhat. The problem is people are so dumbed down due to decades of the nanny state, unwinding reliance on the state would need to be done carefully.

19 hours ago, Riedquat said:

We all know what cars do, we all know what supermarkets do, yet they advertise. What goes on on TV in the early hours shouldn't need to take children in to account. It's true that some parents don't do their job but the state stepping in and trying to parent everyone blanket-fashion is not an acceptable alternative.

i still don`t agree with roulette on national TV. And there was no need for FOBT`s capable of taking £200 every 30 seconds.  i have seen the misery gambling does to people.  multimillionaires reduced to begging on the streets for a mouldy sarnie. 

22 minutes ago, longgone said:

i still don`t agree with roulette on national TV. And there was no need for FOBT`s capable of taking £200 every 30 seconds.  i have seen the misery gambling does to people.  multimillionaires reduced to begging on the streets for a mouldy sarnie. 

A fool and his money are easily parted. Those people make their own misery.

What's telling, and sad (in relation to another almost-winner) is in the last paragraph. 'I would be able to get a mortgage and go on a nice holiday. 

I once worked on a branding project for a large UK gambling company. In all my years in advertising/brand consultancy,  this is the only company that said their target audience was C2, D and E - that's semi-skilled workers (C2) the unskilled (D) and those on benefits (E). No surprise where most bookies are located. These companies specifically target the poor, the gullible and the desperate.

I also know someone at another sports betting firm whose job is to visit consistent big winners to ensure they're not cheating. Some people are just very good at playing the odds. He then politely tells them to take their business elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Orsino said:

I also know someone at another sports betting firm whose job is to visit consistent big winners to ensure they're not cheating. Some people are just very good at playing the odds. He then politely tells them to take their business elsewhere. 

That makes little sense IMO as long as the bookies are still raking a lot more in from others. Those winners are the best advertising they could have.

On 26/11/2018 at 15:38, longgone said:

On 26/11/2018 at 16:02, Riedquat said:

A fool and his money are easily parted. Those people make their own misery.

Yes and yes. Even so in 15 years I've only seen four people who were obviously killing themselves, financially at least, in public. I'd have expected more. Probably many more hide it.

I've had a lot of entertainment from betting and a decent second income at one time though I wouldn't advise anyone to expect to get that now. The bookies aren't doing that well, do you think Lads would get into bed with Joe Coral otherwise? Recently a friend who works for one of the big boys said to me "there's a lot of desperation about."  I said "in here or generally?" He replied "both". He added that his employers were thought to be barely solvent. If that happens it'll be interesting.

There's a lack of proportion in the thinking on this subject. If I drove a Range Rover on PCP and smoked 30 a day people would think I was quite normal. If I told them I spent the equivalent on betting (it's a fraction) and never won a sou (I soon get bored if not winning) they would back away from me like I had ebola.

While I would never do either of these, if I had to choose one, as I particularly hate motoring I'd do the second, I just wouldn't bother to tell anybody.

12 hours ago, Riedquat said:

That makes little sense IMO as long as the bookies are still raking a lot more in from others. Those winners are the best advertising they could have.

In the case of gambling firm I dealt with,  they found a major draw for their C2, D, E punters was the free tea and coffee on offer as they stuck every last penny in fixed-odds machines. It really is that pathetic. 

It should not be banned but the regulator should come down on them much harder. The UK does regulate very heavily but there are some things they should do.

Allow bookmakers to advertise amazing “acca” accumulator bets done by real people as long as they show how many others that particular customer lost or be paired with another bet that didn’t.

The games should be coded and tested to military standards. If that means it’s really expensive to develop and launch a game then so be it. Have you seen how many games there are? They are clearly pumped out by the dozen by crappy developers and have ridiculous excuses like “sorry it’s a bug”.

There are actually people out there that are very very patient and mindful with their betting and do beat the bookie. As soon as that happens the bookies will just close their accounts. Perhaps there should be a tax on these closures that goes to charity.

There should a lifetime losses meter on display at all times.

Be more explicit and transparent about the mathematics of the games. The bookmakers must fund probability courses or something!

One thing you have to be aware of is that pushing gambling underground is very likely even worse. You may get less people doing it but those that do would get truly rinsed in an underground scene - be that on some dark web or something.