House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Surrey cash buyer

Ftse 100

This is Money

No need to cut interest rates then, but is now a good time to cash in my ISA and buy a house with the money?

It might be a good time to switch you're funds out of the UK and US economies....... and that being the case......why on earth would you buy an asset (house) that is closely correlated with an economy that is looking decidedly shit-shaped right now?

This is Money

No need to cut interest rates then, but is now a good time to cash in my ISA and buy a house with the money?

..this time next year,I suspect shares will be heading back up(I'm going for a pretty nasty mid-year)

...problem with cashing in is you will lose your tax-free status on it.

...might be better off holding and buying on the bad news.

..this time next year,I suspect shares will be heading back up(I'm going for a pretty nasty mid-year)

With a maxi isa, is it possible to trade in and out of shares as you wish, and to hold cash rather than shares? i.e. sell your shares and hold cash in your broker's nominee account while waiting for the market to drop?

With a maxi isa, is it possible to trade in and out of shares as you wish, and to hold cash rather than shares? i.e. sell your shares and hold cash in your broker's nominee account while waiting for the market to drop?

Your money is held in an ISA "wrapper". That is, whether you have actually bought equities or not the money is "in your ISA". However, you don't get tax relief on any interest you may earn on uninvested cash in your ISA account.

Once you sell any equities, they are still in the wrapper until you move them to another account. You couldn't then pay this money back in, only your allowed annual subscription.

I hope that made sense!

NDL

PS. In answer to your question, YES!

I'm interested in why you think next year could be good for equities? I have had a very good 18 months or so, have now pulled out of UK and US - still in Japan, rest of Asia and Europe but am getting increasingly nervous for the rest of 2006 and may pull out altogether and put funds on deposit for a while. Having the made the gains I'd hate to lose them!

Your money is held in an ISA "wrapper". That is, whether you have actually bought equities or not the money is "in your ISA". However, you don't get tax relief on any interest you may earn on uninvested cash in your ISA account.

Once you sell any equities, they are still in the wrapper until you move them to another account. You couldn't then pay this money back in, only your allowed annual subscription.

I hope that made sense!

NDL

PS. In answer to your question, YES!

thanks for that NDL!!!! that's actually rather good news!!!!!

I do hold a maxi ISA,now you've told me it's possible to hold the cash I might just do that....only problem is the ISA only permits 1 free switch p.a.

....to do the next best to shorting I think it's a good plan,and just hold the extra cash in high interest account until the news looks as bad as it can get...then max it out in equities(year end???....pre-presidential rally??)