House Price Crash Forum

Asylum seekers in 'damp, dirty, vermin-infested' housing

spacedin

HOLA441

Asylum seekers in 'damp, dirty, vermin-infested' housing

_104420555_asylumreport1.jpg

Less than a quarter of state-run accommodation for asylum seekers in the UK is compliant with standards, a much-delayed report has found.

The Chief Inspector of Borders and Immigration cited evidence of damp, dirty and vermin-infested properties.

Some of the accommodation was found to be unsuitable for vulnerable groups, including survivors of torture or domestic violence.

The Home Office said it was "committed to improving" the service.

Chief inspector David Bolt, who sent his report to ministers four months ago, also criticised the government for failing to have a "grip" on the number of pregnant asylum seekers or those who had just given birth.

_104420685_motherbabyunit.jpg

Read more

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

There are a lot of bogus asylum seekers.  I know someone who recently got asylum from Colombia, when I said "How awful, what danger were you in?"  He told me, "that he was not in any danger".  The easiest way to stop this would be to make clear that if people go back home on holiday they lose their asylum status and are prosecuted.

The most famous recent case was the sydanese "refugee", who when he became a British citizen wanted to go back home on holiday and accidentally hit several cyclists with his car, whilst driving in London.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6060821/Sudanese-immigrant-terror-attacker-drove-London-hours-smashing-car-cyclists.html

HOLA444
18 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

The most famous recent case was the sydanese "refugee", who when he became a British citizen wanted to go back home on holiday and accidentally hit several cyclists with his car, whilst driving in London.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6060821/Sudanese-immigrant-terror-attacker-drove-London-hours-smashing-car-cyclists.html

We can’t save the world by moving it’s population to Europe, all we have achieved is to drag Europe back to the dark ages.. 

The problems must be fixed at source.. 

HOLA445
29 minutes ago, macca13 said:

We can’t save the world by moving it’s population to Europe, all we have achieved is to drag Europe back to the dark ages.. 

The problems must be fixed at source.. 

I am not sure that we are able to fix the problems at source.  Also even if we could fix Colombia (for example) coming here,lying and getting free housing would still be attractive.   Giving less attractive housing would help instead of London a remote Scottish Island that wants more people.

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA446
1 hour ago, Locke said:

Doesn't "asylum seeker" just mean "someone from outside Europe who doesn't want to work" these days?

Hard to have any sympathy for them when they are robbing me.

Agreed I could not care less how bad the places they live in are

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

There are a lot of bogus asylum seekers.  I know someone who recently got asylum from Colombia, when I said "How awful, what danger were you in?"  He told me, "that he was not in any danger".  The easiest way to stop this would be to make clear that if people go back home on holiday they lose their asylum status and are prosecuted.

Yes why do we need a sudanese what use is he to the country or society 

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

The easiest way to stop this would be to make clear that if people go back home on holiday they lose their asylum status and are prosecuted.

On the subject of  damp, dirty vermin infested housing I must say those photos don't shock me. I have lived in worse, working in a full time job and paying the 'going rate' to a landlord. Damp - yes like a lot of old properties. Dirty - yes, nothing like moving into a new property and spending the next week cleaning it out and applying dilute bleach to the mould patches! Vermin - not encountered, would make me uneasy. ?

Edited by frankief

HOLA449

One would presume that the accommodation over here must be a dam sight better from where they are fleeing. Notice it is this country, the home office saying it is not good enough, not the asylum seekers. How do we know that these people who may not be used to western housing are not making the housing worse, or encouraging vermin by being untidy. This type of mentality that we must do as much as possible for any one who wants to come here is the problem and is just perpetuating the problem. If the stocks that bad, lets not take any more, clearly we are unable to help no matter how much we want to. 

HOLA4410

Damp - unless it's caused by something leaking really isn't anywhere as much of a big deal as people make out. Dirty - bloody well clean it then. Going in to somewhere dirty shouldn't happen but you've only go yourself to blame if it stays dirty. Vermin - depends exactly what the problem is but usually not too hard to deal with by yourself (although I never did manage to stop slugs coming in where I used to live).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

My solution to the current asylum would be be teat it on a country by country case i.e. decide if people should be seekign asylum from it.

The only coutrny that appleis to, in regard to Europe as whole, has been Syria.

Asylu mseekers should be seeking refuge in their nearest country.

The only valid asylum seekers the UK sshould be reciving should be from France or the Nether lands or Norway.

Anyhow, assuming hat a country's citizens do require asylum then the UK should freeeze all that countries assets i nthe UK and issue arrrest arants for the countries leaders.

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Damp - unless it's caused by something leaking really isn't anywhere as much of a big deal as people make out. Dirty - bloody well clean it then. Going in to somewhere dirty shouldn't happen but you've only go yourself to blame if it stays dirty. Vermin - depends exactly what the problem is but usually not too hard to deal with by yourself (although I never did manage to stop slugs coming in where I used to live).

Depends on what the vermin is? Rats are so common in the UK now, everyone is closer to a rat than they might imagine. They are encouraged by the abandonment of weekly refuse collection, and food scraps lying around in open recycling bins and stuff left near restaurants and fast food joints.

Lice, bedbugs etc are becoming more resistant to insecticides, and love centrally heated housing. There is a possibility the immigrants bring the problem with them.

Slugs I suspect mainly hitch a ride on pets.

Damp is usually an issue of lack of ventilation. If you move to the UK from a hot country, you are not going to keep windows open during the winter.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Hospitals can obtain possession orders to evict patients from a bed, but the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Barnet, has chosen not to issue legal proceedings.

Why not?  The more you read, the more fishy it looks, for example this bit

The incident, she says, which convinced her to leave Grimsby, occurred in the early hours of July 8 last year, when a stone was thrown through the window of the French doors at the back of their home. 

It was the culmination, she claims, of a campaign of intimidation by a gang of white teenage boys who used to hurl stones and eggs at their bungalow.

Residents in the cul-de-sac say there was a problem with one group of youths, but they were not aware Mimi and Ruth were being targeted, or that their behaviour was racially motivated.

I think that they should lose their right to any housing.

HOLA4416
6 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Why not?  The more you read, the more fishy it looks, for example this bit

I think that they should lose their right to any housing.

I think they need to lose their citizenship, which should never have been granted.

And kicked out.

HOLA4417
21 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Asylu mseekers should be seeking refuge in their nearest country.

The only valid asylum seekers the UK sshould be reciving should be from France or the Nether lands or Norway.

Anyhow, assuming hat a country's citizens do require asylum then the UK should freeeze all that countries assets i nthe UK and issue arrrest arants for the countries leaders.

They should be seeking it there but I don't think it's unreasonable for other countries to then take some of the genuine ones rather than have those nearest have to house all of them purely because of geography. That's the sort of issue that an organisation like the EU should be good dealing with (pity it turned out to be the exact opposite).

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

I think they need to lose their citizenship, which should never have been granted.

And kicked out.

Shouldn't have been granted is one thing but IMO once you're a British citizen you're a British citizen full stop, to be treated like any other, which includes not being able to remove that citizenship, unless there was something fraudulent about the application.

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

They should be seeking it there but I don't think it's unreasonable for other countries to then take some of the genuine ones rather than have those nearest have to house all of them purely because of geography. That's the sort of issue that an organisation like the EU should be good dealing with (pity it turned out to be the exact opposite).

True although it would be cheaper for us to pay Syria's (or Venezuela's) neighbours to take in people than take them here, as cost of living is so much higher here (also there are no interpreting costs for Syrians in Lebanon or Venezuelans in Colombia).

HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Shouldn't have been granted is one thing but IMO once you're a British citizen you're a British citizen full stop, to be treated like any other, which includes not being able to remove that citizenship, unless there was something fraudulent about the application.

True but if it is fraudulent like people going on holiday to the place they "escaped" from as soon as they get it, they should go to prison and then be kicked out.

HOLA4421

There shouldn't be any state run housing for asylum seekers. They should be held in camps under guard close to their point of entry until a decision can be made. 

Only the most basic of provision should be made for them in the camps. After all, they are fleeing death etc so should presumably be glad for anything. 

Edited by Errol

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
5 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

There are a lot of bogus asylum seekers.  I know someone who recently got asylum from Colombia, when I said "How awful, what danger were you in?"  He told me, "that he was not in any danger".

What is the criteria for getting asylum? Couldn't he be reported?