House Price Crash Forum
the_dork

Best London commuter towns

I couldn’t see a thread but apologies if there is. London is grossly overpriced and it amazes me how it sucks people in (I know there’s a thread), but it remains where the jobs are even if partial home working is available. At some point, many middle class people want to become 'homeowners', (I'd take a secure tenancy on acceptable terms but again that's another topic), get a bit more space and become less bothered about bars/restaurants being on the doorstep. 

It obviously depends on precisely where you have to get to but for me, the Medway towns are a  good combination of local amenity, travel time/cost and house prices (around £250-275 per sq ft for houses, a little more for flats). Obviously there are nicer spots in Surrey and Herts, basically at average London prices. Bits of Essex are cheaper but on the whole less character on their own terms. The average spots in Herts are a little more expensive with worse train links and Bucks as a whole is again grossly overpriced with fairly poor links unless you’re going into Marylebone. I don’t think I could face a journey time much over an hour each way, I guess longer is palatable if going in only 2-3 times per week.

Any strong views on this?

1 hour ago, the_dork said:

I couldn’t see a thread but apologies if there is. London is grossly overpriced and it amazes me how it sucks people in (I know there’s a thread), but it remains where the jobs are even if partial home working is available. At some point, many middle class people want to become 'homeowners', (I'd take a secure tenancy on acceptable terms but again that's another topic), get a bit more space and become less bothered about bars/restaurants being on the doorstep. 

It obviously depends on precisely where you have to get to but for me, the Medway towns are a  good combination of local amenity, travel time/cost and house prices (around £250-275 per sq ft for houses, a little more for flats). Obviously there are nicer spots in Surrey and Herts, basically at average London prices. Bits of Essex are cheaper but on the whole less character on their own terms. The average spots in Herts are a little more expensive with worse train links and Bucks as a whole is again grossly overpriced with fairly poor links unless you’re going into Marylebone. I don’t think I could face a journey time much over an hour each way, I guess longer is palatable if going in only 2-3 times per week.

Any strong views on this?

MMR ruin the whole commute in - cost is deducted from income.

And railfares rusing 3-5% ahead if wages.

I kniw a couple of people whove quit due to train cost.

30 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Yark.

2 nights in a premier inn.

Work from home 1 day.

Thats the only way id do it.

Yes, rent a room, stay with friends as and when......live outside the belt or live and work outside or inside the belt close to home.... commuting on the trains is such a waste of both time and money.....a headache to be avoided, shouldn't have to be that way, but that is the way it is.😉

1 hour ago, winkie said:

Yes, rent a room, stay with friends as and when......live outside the belt or live and work outside or inside the belt close to home.... commuting on the trains is such a waste of both time and money.....a headache to be avoided, shouldn't have to be that way, but that is the way it is.😉

A 100 mile train journey is enjoyable, 2 times a week.

5 times, 6am, 7pm back .... nope.

I live in Dorset with my wife and 4kids.

2days a week I work from home, the other 3days I sleep in my motorhome in London. 

There isn't a hope in hell's chance anyone would convince me that anywhere in London or even commutable to London is worth the standard of living that I provide my family in Dorset.

Plenty of Bellway box estates going up around Woking (While Woking itself looks more like Battersea).  Ripley, Normandy, Pirbright are quite nice.

3 hours ago, crazypabs said:

2days a week I work from home, the other 3days I sleep in my motorhome in London. 

There isn't a hope in hell's chance anyone would convince me that anywhere in London or even commutable to London is worth the standard of living that I provide my family in Dorset.

Whereabouts in Dorset? I grew up there but didn't find much going for it (no car and no public transport didn't help!)

What kind of places do you park the motorhome in London?

4 hours ago, Sausage said:

Whereabouts in Dorset? I grew up there but didn't find much going for it (no car and no public transport didn't help!)

What kind of places do you park the motorhome in London?

Im baised, being from the seaside, but Id quite like the look of Weymouth.

Yes its a bit down at heel but I much prefer it too Bmouth, which is sh1thoel. Or Poole, whcih is rapidly becoming more of a problem housing estate.

WMouth train means Wloo is doable on a once a week basis.

I think there's going to be lot of 2-3 days working in London.

Various reasons.

One, there's been a massive shift in the skills in London - much more software intensive. The old office workers, fin serv gsce maths pass no longer cut it.

Must of London population now appears to be foriegn born and unskilled.

8 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Woking has some nice villages around it, and a fast train roughly every 6 minutes, with a journey time of around 30 minutes to Waterloo.

Woking is more expensive than suburbs of London such as Orpington and you pay more on the train so what is the point?

I really can't imagine a more miserable existence than spending my days in a sardine tin going to and from London.

I'd be looking for either a massive salary in London and living there, or a lower salary somewhere more pleasant where I can afford to live.

If commuting from anywhere seems like a viable option then work out your hourly rate including all the commuting time and ask yourself whether you actually want to work whatever stupid amount of hours it all adds up to.

There is a whole world outside the M25 you know!  Including jobs, bars and people, but with added scenery, fresh air and pleasantness.

9 hours ago, crazypabs said:

Where do you put your motorhome?

9 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Woking has some nice villages around it, and a fast train roughly every 6 minutes, with a journey time of around 30 minutes to Waterloo.

Some of the villages around Woking are lovely

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Must of London population now appears to be foriegn born and unskilled.

Agreed and living on benefits

58 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

Woking is more expensive than suburbs of London such as Orpington and you pay more on the train so what is the point?

Because the local villages are much nicer than Orpington 

1 hour ago, Tes Tickle said:

There is a whole world outside the M25 you know!  Including jobs, bars and people, but with added scenery, fresh air and pleasantness.

Oh come on, that's ridiculous. A whole world outside the M25?? London is the world, even the oiks know that.

Honestly, next thing you'll be trying to convince people that Liberace was gay.

45 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Some of the villages around Woking are lovely

Agreed and living on benefits

Because the local villages are much nicer than Orpington 

Fair enough - although you might have a horrible journey to work - with time to the station etc.  I still think you get more for your money in Kent than Surrey - not something I feel strongly about though.  Of course if lots of people agreed with me, prices in Kent would rise to be the same as Surrey and I would be wrong.

16 hours ago, spyguy said:

Yark.

2 nights in a premier inn.

Work from home 1 day.

Thats the only way id do it.

That is basically it. 

I would NOT move to London permanently and to me commuting (on a daily basis) means MAX 30 min door to door. 

13 hours ago, spyguy said:

A 100 mile train journey is enjoyable, 2 times a week.

5 times, 6am, 7pm back .... nope.

2 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

Shh, keep them crowded in and around London, don't want them spreading out and making a (bigger) mess of the rest of the country!

Central Birmingham, get ahead of the property boom when HS2 arrives and transforms the place into New Notting Hill.

Another reason I can see nothing but unpleasantness from HS2. If it does anything for Birmingham it'll make it viable for some jobs to move out of it to London (means more people can commute to further jobs so the jobs have less reason to be where the people are) and push up Birmingham house prices.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Another reason I can see nothing but unpleasantness from HS2. If it does anything for Birmingham it'll make it viable for some jobs to move out of it to London (means more people can commute to further jobs so the jobs have less reason to be where the people are) and push up Birmingham house prices.

Won't London improve if some jobs move out? There would be fewer commuters and residents so it would be cheaper and less crowded.

1 minute ago, Kosmin said:

Won't London improve if some jobs move out? There would be fewer commuters and residents so it would be cheaper and less crowded.

Probably, but London's gain would be to the detriment of elsewhere (and the people living in London usually seem to claim to like it anyway). Not that I see jobs moving out of London, faster travel means more centralisation is possible and thus jobs moving to the larger place.

I agree that HS2 is madness, the concentration in London is already bad enough and out of kilter with other Euro nations.

Objectively I would agree that the Southeast in generally is a mug's game, the Northern cities are cool and there's some nice spots in the Midlands and elsewhere. However many of us are fairly tied here, not just in terms of work (I am an above middle, non high earner but wouldn't get the same anywhere else in my field if I even got a job). Family ties and friends count for some of us more than others, it's hard to up and move completely after your 20s in my opinion.

Hence the thread and thanks for the views so far

6 hours ago, Kosmin said:

Without commuters and torists London would be very much quieter and less crowded......it is in the main those that do not live there that make it look more crowded than it really is.....so yes moving out the jobs would mean people would live and move elsewhere.....many who lived once in London move also, they take their money with them.....they still have wants and needs, plenty of jobs available seeing to the wants and needs.😉