House Price Crash Forum

Work Less, Earn More: Is A Four-Day Week The Solution?

4 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

On a £25k salary, working 3 days a week will earn you around £1,100 per month, after tax.

On a 25k salary you don't as much luxury of choice, agreed.

If you earn more though - I always wonder why more people don't pursue the potential opportunity and at least ask if it's something they want. I promised myself once I hit 50k, I'd go 3 days for 30k. Ended up doing it much earlier than that, and no regrets. Now my part time wage is greater than the FT one i was on when I did it 10 years ago (non inflation adjusted admittedly, but point is it doesn't have to stop your earning potential).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/11/2018 at 13:23, cbathpc said:

An idea brought to you by people who have never heard of factory workers, call centre workers, delivery drivers, etc. 

Doctors?  

On 14/11/2018 at 14:28, nightowl said:

Presumably this means people part time and on low/zero hour contracts are already working fewer days a week already.

22 hours ago, Wayward said:

Many people work five or six days because they need to in order to put food on the table and a roof over their heads...not because they want LOTS more stuff.

Agreed 

22 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

On a £25k salary, working 3 days a week will earn you around £1,100 per month, after tax.

£1,000 a month is not enough to buy a home or rent a home in many areas of the UK 

16 hours ago, nightowl said:

On a less serious note, how many people know colleagues that do three days of work a week although physically turn up and get paid for for five??    Or spend Friday afternoon on internet forums......

Indeed. 

Similarly I know many full time employees working full time hours but over 4 days.....but therein lie a problem. Our paid working week is only 35 hours, no overtime and you stay till the job is done. Well unless it’s your day off.  I work around 50 hours over 5 days  

However those on 4 days start earlier and finish later (in principal) but those doing 5 days are carrying them. 

That might be okay but then examples of those of 4 days leaving early to go to a concert (maybe 3 times a month)....how do they manage that when I can’t leave early for a doctors appointment because all the work is being sent to me. (Because I am in 5 days) 

I am bias because we have very very lazy employees and very very (stupid) productive hardworking employees who carry them. And the reality is when those redundancies come each year the 4 day a week guys lose their jobs despite desperately asking not to....and the 5 day a week guys are retained despite desperately trying for a redundancy package. 

But I am off track....I realise this is not about my example rather the principal. Main issue with a 4 day week is we need certain people available 5 days a week should an issue occur.....but conceptually 4 days would definitely help me.  And if across the board would ensure that 30% down time displayed by many would be significantly reduced. 

If I worked for myself I would certainly use the 80/20 rule and work 20% of the time to generate 80% profit and I would ditch the remaining 4 days trying to ‘chase’ the harder money. My friend is a self employed recruitment consultant and does exactly this....works when the work is there. He gets around £50k pa but could step up massively and increase this to £100k but that would be 6 days a week instead of 2. 

Finally....I am a frugal git. Very frugal. So my 5 day (sometimes 6 day) a week for 20 years have been painful. But I leave work in a few weeks age 50. I always only wanted the 1980’s lifestyle using 2010 money. I used the money I acquired by progressing up that slippery ladder to buy time....so my ‘nil’ days a week start now.  Hopefully (and I do mean hopefully because I am as yet unsure) it will compensate my 6 days a week. 

Definitely 4 days a week if it’s for everyone in that company.?

18 hours ago, nightowl said:

On a less serious note, how many people know colleagues that do three days of work a week although physically turn up and get paid for for five??    Or spend Friday afternoon on internet forums......

Sounds like me, waste far too much time (not just Friday afternoon) on internet forums. Wish I had a bit more willpower there (that's not willpower to not **** around on them - that's the symptom, not the cause, but to just crack on with the work sometimes).

2 hours ago, Ghostly said:

Three sounds like a bit too much. They are there in body but not spirit.  The problem with that type of person is they typically disrupt other colleagues by wittering on about nothing all day.

Then those other colleagues should ask them to stop if they're being bothered.

2 hours ago, Ghostly said:

The problem with that type of person is they typically disrupt other colleagues by wittering on about nothing all day.

Aha, you know my colleages then! one in particular spends most of the day reading the guardian website unsupervised, gets all SJW'd and wound up about the state of the world, then tries to discuss - no sorry lecture- everbody else on their view and then get even further wound up if anyone doesnt 100% agree ?

11 minutes ago, nightowl said:

Aha, you know my colleages then! one in particular spends most of the day reading the guardian website unsupervised, gets all SJW'd and wound up about the state of the world, then tries to discuss - no sorry lecture- everbody else on their view and then get even further wound up if anyone doesnt 100% agree ?

And it’s important to disagree with them.....in the hope they learn. Of course they never do. 

After an afternoon of one disruptive colleague ranting away, I argued that global warming was a really good thing and that when I watched Waterworld the people had webbed feet and gills, who wouldn’t want that?

It caused a 48 hour meltdown of a colleague who I am sure has never forgiven me....but at least they don’t share their views with me anymore. 

I am still reminded of the ‘waterworld argument’ by others who find themselves smiling at global environmental issues on the news. 

It appears everyone knew I was joking apart from envirochamp. 

I work mainly from home nowadays....safer all round.

But seriously....wouldn’t gills be great???

1 hour ago, Pop321 said:

caused a 48 hour meltdown of a colleague who I am sure has never forgiven me....but at least they don’t share their views with me anymore. 

Ah yes the never-fails global warming subject! I have a similar story with said guardian evangelist.   Try introducing logic and physics into the discussion that drives them even madder??

On 15/11/2018 at 14:10, Riedquat said:

Exactly what makes me question just what the hell the point of all the supposed development and growth we've had since the 1950s actually is - what's been gained (at least once you get past the post-war austerity period)? That's why I've ended up likening a lot of supposed progress to nothing more than an arms race, the change is only needed to keep ahead of others, rather than it actually producing anything particularly useful in its own right (yay, you can get hit with a cruise missile rather than an arrow). 

Certainly since I was a kid the standard of living has risen phenomenally.  From maybe a couple of people in a street having a landline telephone in the house to everyone (and their kids) with a new smartphone every couple of years.  Not even one car for every working household to multiple (often new) cars per house.  Central heating now pretty much standard in houses.  Ditto double glazing.  Multiple TV sets instead of a single rented colour TV.  Home AV systems, Consoles, home computers, hundreds of TV channels, dishwashers, microwaves, large fridge freezers all now commonplace.    Eating out or at least takeaway meals (often delivered) a weekly occurence.  Multiple foreign holidays per year not uncommon.

What's more, even if you are unemployed you can expect to have a better standard of living from welfare (from a consumer point of view) than most working class people from the 70s.

On 15/11/2018 at 13:03, Wayward said:

Many people work five or six days because they need to in order to put food on the table and a roof over their heads...not because they want LOTS more stuff.  I think this thread is missing the point.  Most people will never be able to relax into a three day week.  The system is set up to prevent this.  Ordinary folk need to compete with each other to secure shelter...those doing three day weeks won't be able to compete and will be on the street.  On the current trajectory competitive bidding for shelter will become more intense and folk will need to work more days per week not less.

Thats right.HTB isnt designed to help people have a home,its to help people have lots of debt so they work and do as they are told for multi decades.MEWing was also designed so people would work until 65ish.Its also why the pension age is pushed back.The government know very few understand finance and will not build up enough to retire early.The media spin out how you need enough to last until your 90 years old,when in fact you only need enough to get you from whatever date your at and 65 (or 68).The state pension and a small amount on top is enough for most people.My partners hours were put up from 28 to 36 a week,but she will get those and more back because she saves the extra into a SIPP and will retire at 55 and get those house back.

6 hours ago, Ghostly said:

Ha ha, I would have loved to have seen that. I need to try this 'ridiculous opposite position' tactic

Another fav tactic of mine on this is to point out historically the planet has generally been warmer than now and during the warmer carbinferous, jurrasic and creteasous the bio system laid down all those fossils fuels for us...the irony! 

If people stopped wasting all their money on pish new Audi's and over priced new build sh1tholes, everyone could work many less hours than they currently do.

How often do I hear people moaning about their jobs and being "over worked", yet the gormless b4stards all drive new sh1theaps on tick and have huge mortgages with credit card debt on top.

Retarded nonsense of the masses.

1 hour ago, nightowl said:

Another fav tactic of mine on this is to point out historically the planet has generally been warmer than now and during the warmer carbinferous, jurrasic and creteasous the bio system laid down all those fossils fuels for us...the irony! 

One thing I've heard several times is that part of the case against humans for causing global warming is that the earth has warmed consistently since Coalbrookdale etc. I'm calling lazy science.

As one thunderstorm is said to have the power of several atom bombs, logically  one has to wonder exactly how soon a few bonfires making metal components in Shropshire would show up as warming the entire planet. Again logically, I would have thought that warming, if human induced, could be more likely to take at least a century to show any obvious link, not a steady noticeable increase from the off.

There was once a stat floating about that said that 50% of the world's resources ever used have been consumed since 1950, a number that looks well out of line with warming being said to be evident for 230 years. How hot would that make it likely to be by now?

But it's the abuse heaped on scientists who have even dared question the accuracy of this science that makes me most suspicious. Dr. David Bellamy I've heard is an example.

Sadly my work colleagues think the same as I do so I don't have anybody to wind up, I'll just have to work all day instead.

5 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

Certainly since I was a kid the standard of living has risen phenomenally.  From maybe a couple of people in a street having a landline telephone in the house to everyone (and their kids) with a new smartphone every couple of years.  Not even one car for every working household to multiple (often new) cars per house.  Central heating now pretty much standard in houses.  Ditto double glazing.  Multiple TV sets instead of a single rented colour TV.  Home AV systems, Consoles, home computers, hundreds of TV channels, dishwashers, microwaves, large fridge freezers all now commonplace.    Eating out or at least takeaway meals (often delivered) a weekly occurence.  Multiple foreign holidays per year not uncommon.

And do all of those really make you life so much better? It's mostly a lot of trivial stuff really. Meaningful standard of living improvements happened before then (mostly, some of your examples point at the tail end of that still coming in). We're long past life being a daily struggle, or even chore, to get by on. I don't mind most of your list of largely luxuries but I don't find them anything to get excited about either, as far as a basically satisfying existence goes. I'm clearly younger than you; when I was a kid we were one of the first people to get a computer, to give some idea of scale. People didn't seem to be noticably struggling more then (at least more than happens as a result of economic ups and downs irrespective of anything else), or were less happy because they didn't have all the technological gimmicks that have been invented in the meantime, fun as some of them can be. Smartphones? Nah. If you want to look at things that really did make a difference look at flushing toilets, freezers, vacuum cleaners. All invented by and reasonably commonplace many decades ago.

14 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

You are right.

All really obvious examples but rather frighteningly something I had never even noticed despite being a youth in the 70’s. Our little black and white tv and power cuts never seemed a hardship. 

I got rid of the BMW X3 a year ago and now drive a 16 year old, £200 Jazz. Cassette player included. This was mainly because work travel has dropped and the company car benefit was costing close to £1000 a month. The Jazz is great for getting round town, even the odd long trip and to be fair it only had 60k on it and runs very very smoothly. It just looks awful with a beautiful scratch down one side courtesy of the old lady who owned it prior.

There is mention by others who have replied about our standard of living not really feeling better and they are right.

And perhaps there is a secret to it all.....

My smart phone, my sky cinema, my coffees out are luxuries and I treat them as such. Excitement on Fridays for the new movie, sparing use of the phone to find information that would have previously taken weeks and long Sunday afternoon coffees people watching. 

The secret is to have luxuries (that suit you) but know that are exactly that. Appreciate them, be in awe of the technology, be in the moment and enjoy them. Some luxuries maybe free eg time with the kids, time with a parent and other luxuries may be pricy eg my planned trips abroad.

And absolutely no ‘zombie spending’. That is splashing out £50 per month on a phone not appreciated, £1000 pcm on a car not appreciated....a generally feeling that these are essential nowadays, when they are not. 

As mentioned before I leave work at 50. I don’t sit like a smug sh1te, but rather as someone in bewilderment than many households have earned more than me and are still working late into their 50’s with no savings.  Zombie spending on stuff they don’t appreciate. 

I have a family member who spends and wastes money on Bang & Oulfsen stuff, luxury holidays with 5 star treatment and first class travel....but I love he never complains about money or having to work. He is a different mindset to me but at least he appreciates the things he buys...and annoyingly spends 20 minutes showing me his new gadgets when I visit. But I get it, he like that stuff. I he gets me...I want frequent budget travel to exotic places and to leave work early. 

I guess we could do with a decent crash in house prices and then at least the younger generation can join the party because I can see if you can’t buy a home then my mindset utopia does crumble somewhat. 

In the meantime my move to a ‘nil day week’ shall be an interesting test of my ‘I don’t need lots of luxuries’ mentality.?

3 hours ago, Pop321 said:

In the meantime my move to a ‘nil day week’ shall be an interesting test of my ‘I don’t need lots of luxuries’ mentality.?

How that goes may well depend where you live. Live somewhere with pleasant surroundings and decent people and hopefully you'll be very happy. Live somewhere ugly or bland with nothing to it and people who never talk to each other, well, it's no wonder people resort to accumulating stuff instead.

14 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

How that goes may well depend where you live. Live somewhere with pleasant surroundings and decent people and hopefully you'll be very happy. Live somewhere ugly or bland with nothing to it and people who never talk to each other, well, it's no wonder people resort to accumulating stuff instead.

Good point and again something I assume everyone has....when I should appreciate that isn’t always the case . 

Takes me 20 minutes to walk 100 yards to the shops due to all the flipping friendly neighbours. 

Gods own county. Yorkshire dales.? ???

Talking on the radio this morning about how people are retiring too early....their valuable experience, knowledge being removed from the workplace......years of earning and learning disappearing......not only that but their income taxes are also gone.

Some need more to live on than others, they have more needs, have more responsibilities, more debt to repay and like and enjoy the finer things in life, paid work (there is a difference) to some is a very important part of their lives....long may it be so....some require very little to be contented....life is short.....no right or wrong, just enjoy what you are doing, nothing ever  lasts forever.....change will see to that.

;)

Edited by winkie