House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
reddog

What will Christmas 2018 retail figures look like?

As per title.

My feel is in the last few years things haven't been looking good going into the Christmas period, but some how they pull something out of the bag.

My prediction is this year the customer will be so shot, that their will be no last minute suprise to the upside. 

(Although business reporter don't tend to comment when results are reported non inflation adjusted, so I guess an increase in spending may be reported, which is actually down to inflation)

Usual suspects will plead a 'sea of red', while the consumers whack it on the plastic

Same as last year, and the year before that.

I am doing the same as last year and not buying token presents for much of my family that may or may not have wanted what I got them in the past, and will do so without the emotional guilt I once felt. I will though be buying a few presents for a few of the little ones and people VERY close and important to me. For the vast majority of the others though I will have arrange a collective event, such a Sunday meal or trip to the comedy store where they can come if they want, that's my present.

I think the usual Christmas gift spending will be the same as always, but with an even greater proportion of it online (especially if December is cold and wet).

Although we have Brexit and recession looming it's not Christmas presents that people cut back on first (especially not Christmas presents for the kids), it's the much bigger ticket items like houses, cars and expensive holidays.

36 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I think the usual Christmas gift spending will be the same as always, but with an even greater proportion of it online (especially if December is cold and wet).

Although we have Brexit and recession looming it's not Christmas presents that people cut back on first (especially not Christmas presents for the kids), it's the much bigger ticket items like houses, cars and expensive holidays.

Christmas is for children, toys and new clothes, it is being with others don't usually see to eat and drink.....sharing and helping. I can easily see families thinking lets have a less spent on gifts Christmas to have a better holiday break later.

Edit to say: it is not a competition.....size of gift has no correlation with amount of love.

😉

Edited by winkie