House Price Crash Forum
Si1

This waspi boomer needs to cut back on her telecoms!

£80 a month on petrol and she doesn't work, interesting..

The changes were known about in the 90s, take some personal responsibility.

Women are paid the same for the same work as the rules came in since the 1970, so no she doesn't deserve to get it early as she has been paid the same for her working life.

Postcode lottery.......in some areas can still get free travel/bus pass at age 60......if she lives in an area like that she wouldn't need a car and would save on the high cost of owning a car.

Other areas do not receive free bus pass until state retirement age......unequal and unfair.😉

13 minutes ago, winkie said:

Postcode lottery.......in some areas can still get free travel/bus pass at age 60......if she lives in an area like that she wouldn't need a car and would save on the high cost of owning a car.

Other areas do not receive free bus pass until state retirement age......unequal and unfair.😉

Agreed and its yet another problem with London which gets something approaching 2.5 times as much financial support for public transport as most parts of the UK.  I know someone who is in his early 60's and lives in a semi rural part of Greater London (yes, such a thing exists) and gets free travel anywhere in London.

Back on topic, if you read the article, the woman featured has had a relationship breakdown and her ex was a tenant farmer (another put upon group in our society) and she lost everything so a little more sympathy is due I feel.  Regarding her telecommunication bills; I agree she needs to shop around, she could save a lot.

9 minutes ago, dougless said:

Agreed and its yet another problem with London which gets something approaching 2.5 times as much financial support for public transport as most parts of the UK.  I know someone who is in his early 60's and lives in a semi rural part of Greater London (yes, such a thing exists) and gets free travel anywhere in London.

That's off peak though isn't it? London has, necessarily, comprehensive public transport infrastructure which I guess is pretty underutilised outside peak times.

Regards the tenant farmer business - fair point.

14 minutes ago, dougless said:

Back on topic, if you read the article, the woman featured has had a relationship breakdown and her ex was a tenant farmer (another put upon group in our society) and she lost everything so a little more sympathy is due I feel.  Regarding her telecommunication bills; I agree she needs to shop around, she could save a lot.

Totally agree......London is the cheapest place to live if old and no mortgage or rent to pay.....hospitals if there is an emergency are close by........public transport in other parts of the country poor and expensive in comparison....

.....women born 50s and 60s have had thousands of pounds of lost income taken from them up to six years of lost state pension....single women, women living on their own will find it very hard to make this up.......we all receive our pensions later than most other European countries, many will have to work for longer.......who will pay all the rents, when not healthy or fit enough to work?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement_in_Europe

Edited by winkie

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

That's off peak though isn't it? London has, necessarily, comprehensive public transport infrastructure which I guess is pretty underutilised outside peak times.

Regards the tenant farmer business - fair point.

Not off peak, you can use it anytime after 9:30 and during peak evening.

Outside of london the busses are too expensive for the people that need them and the ones with the most money don't pay. 

3 hours ago, Si1 said:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/waspi-pension-how-i-live-on-8000-a-year/

Phone, broadband and TV: £47.90 Mobile phone: £31

Seriously!

I pay about a tenth of her mobile bill, but it's difficult to work out because most contracts are in fact credit payments for buying the "free" handset in the first place.  The dodgy part is that these payments continue at the same amount after the contract expires.  I don't know of any other credit contract where you pay indefinitely until you choose to do otherwise.

Three will give you a free iphone "eXceSs" if you sign a little bit of paper that allows them to charge you just £93 a month for two years.  Some people clearly don't understand how multiplication works (£2232 by the way).

3 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

I pay about a tenth of her mobile bill, but it's difficult to work out because most contracts are in fact credit payments for buying the "free" handset in the first place.  The dodgy part is that these payments continue at the same amount after the contract expires.  I don't know of any other credit contract where you pay indefinitely until you choose to do otherwise.

Three will give you a free iphone "eXceSs" if you sign a little bit of paper that allows them to charge you just £93 a month for two years.  Some people clearly don't understand how multiplication works (£2232 by the way).

agreed, people are too damn daft to think about what they're paying.

my own mum did this - I said mum I'll sort it for you but no she preferred the nice salesman in the phone shop, made her feel empowered I believe

Yeah.

Commented o this on the ToS.

She could, you know, get a job.

My Nan worked in her 80s.

Cant really complain about not having money when all you can be ar5ed to do is 'occsaional dog sitting'

3 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

Mine n Mrs is ~£7/mont all you ca neat tecxt and voice.

We bought our own phones.

6 hours ago, dougless said:

Totally maybe she could save 2 bob on her comms bill but a lot of women have been royally screwed by this pension age change but as usual she is thrown into the all the boomers are T**** bucket. However @spyguyis also spot on when he says she could get a job. 

Its never clear cut unless of course your an LBC shock jock or a boomer hater

Linked as part of the same series. How I live on: Savings of just £40,000 as Brexit hampers the sale of my house.

This week we speak to 64-year-old Malcolm Jones from Kent, who has had an anxious year since retiring, as his property nest egg has been slow to sell.

I didn’t think I had to worry about money. I only had a small private pension of £40,000, but I planned to sell my three-bedroom house in Belvedere, Kent and move to a retirement flat on the South coast, banking the profit.

Back in December the house was valued at around £340,000 and – in my ignorance – I assumed it would sell in three or four months and I’d be able to put more than £200,000 in my private pension. Straight away I went and booked a luxury holiday to New Zealand for £8,500 and also got laser surgery on my eyes, which cost £7,000. I put the cost on my credit card.

People aren’t buying property
Just before I retired I took out £23,000 from my private pension, £9,000 of which I used to clear the last of my mortgage (unfortunately I’ve re-mortgaged several times since I bought the house in 1986). I put the rest  – £13,500 – in my bank account to tide me over until the house sold.

But as it goes, I’ve had two sales fall through since March and the asking price has gone from £340,000 to £325,000 to £300,000. The estate agent keeps telling me it’s because of Brexit: he reckons people are nervous about making a big financial commitment until we know what’s going on.

This guy thinks he's frugal, spending about £2200/month with no rent or mortgage cost.

2 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Totally maybe she could save 2 bob on her comms bill but a lot of women have been royally screwed by this pension age change 

A lot of people in general have been shafted by the situation vis a vis unsustainable national commitments and the necessary correctives. This waspi situation is just one element of these that happens you affect boomers in this instance.

Edited by Si1

If the issue is telecoms.....sure you can shop around for a good deal, but only depending WHERE you live.....there are some places that still in this country where a mobile signal is unobtainable.....also areas where there is a signal there is a monopoly in who or what provider can use...... actually life is far better when can't get a signal....and cash is the only way.😉

3 hours ago, dougless said:

iD mobile - £3.99 pr month 500min/5000txt/0.5gb

plusnet which is EE piggy backed. unlimited minutes txts 6gb data £7 

dump the tv and house phone and go for a big data deal for maybe £5 more a month and tether the 4g as a wireless hotspot. 

the woman is nuts 

14 minutes ago, longgone said:

plusnet which is EE piggy backed. unlimited minutes txts 6gb data £7 

That's a good deal!

11 hours ago, winkie said:

.....women born 50s and 60s have had thousands of pounds of lost income taken from them up to six years of lost state pension....single women, women living on their own will find it very hard to make this up.......we all receive our pensions later than most other European countries,

First, the money is not "taken from them".

Someone being GIVEN less than they had hoped they would be GIVEN, has NOT had anything TAKEN from them.

That's just as dishonest as people wailing that the Universal Credit changes mean they will have "LOST" X amount per year.

Second, just because we receive pensions later than other countries, so what? That doesn't mean we are in the wrong. They are paying out their pensions too early. What was it in Greece, everyone retiring at 55 and that worked out well didn't it?!

6 hours ago, spyguy said:

Yeah.

Commented o this on the ToS.

She could, you know, get a job.

My Nan worked in her 80s.

Cant really complain about not having money when all you can be ar5ed to do is 'occsaional dog sitting'

Exactly!

3 hours ago, longgone said:

indeed 

buy one of these on android one which is stock android so free updates forever 

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-4gb-32gb 

no need for loans masquerading as phone contracts on overpriced tat. 😉

Not bad. Slightly ageing chip not as good as the 630 that I got in my Moto x4 at a good phone only deal

Same financial principle though. People who buy high Street phone contracts get ripped off.

17 hours ago, Si1 said:

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/waspi-pension-how-i-live-on-8000-a-year/

Phone, broadband and TV: £47.90 Mobile phone: £31

Seriously!

That seems very reasonable to me.

My equivalents are:

Phone £140 pm (2 x Broadband, BT TV)

Mobiles £125 - 4 phones

Sky TV £30 on 18 month deal

16 hours ago, dougless said:

The is nothing wrong with different areas deal deciding to spend their money in different ways. Are you arquing for complete central control of everything.

London exports massive amounts of money to the rest of the country, so talk of subsidies is complete nonsense.