House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longgone

pre crimbo holiday destinations

where is a good cheapish place to go in december   ?

fancied new york but the hotel prices are extortionate considering a flight is only £260.  

prefer to stay in the eu 

If you want some respite from the Winter: I'm off to Gran Canaria in December. Low-to-mid-twenties temperature and low Easyjet prices. All of the Canaries are a good option IMO.

Otherwise: any European city with an Xmas market. Austria/Switzerland if you want the full snow-and-gluhwein experience.

We're in Southern Spain, Costa del Sol.

Have been coming here for ten years during November/December, The Spanish are really into Navidad.

It's off season so prices are keen but temperatures still in the low 20s.

9 hours ago, RentingForever said:

If you want some respite from the Winter: I'm off to Gran Canaria in December. Low-to-mid-twenties temperature and low Easyjet prices. All of the Canaries are a good option IMO.

Otherwise: any European city with an Xmas market. Austria/Switzerland if you want the full snow-and-gluhwein experience.

i fancied berlin for 2-3 days although austria sounds good was 1993 since i was last there. 

5 hours ago, winkie said:

Travelodge Madrid.:)

😄

As a left-field suggestion, Lviv in Ukraine. It's a new Ryanair route. It was once part of Austro-Hungary, so has some Viennese influence. Baroque architecture, snow, Christmas markets, cafe culture - all for prices not seen in places like Prague since the 90s. The best seats in the Opera House to see Swan Lake are £17.  Suite in a brand new hotel £80 a night.

The flights only started on 30th October so the stag/hen idiots haven't turned up yet.

Bit of a gamble but personally that's half the fun. Please note: Lviv is just over the border from Poland and is about a thousand miles from Ukraine's separatist conflicts.

Lviv is a good choice, I actually want to go there next year.

Probably quite Christmas-ey

How about Poland if not ready for Ukraine?  I visited Gdansk this summer which I liked, would also really recommend Krakow.

Berlin would also be good, but maybe a bit too hipster-ish for my inverted snobbery.

Of course one of the downsides of Lviv is that a month after you book the tickets it looks like the Ukrainian government might declare martial law. Personally I think the risks are minimal, but it just goes to show. Actually, 'vulture tourism' is a bit of a hobby of mine - heading to a destination (having carefully weighed up the risks!) when everyone else is running the other way. It's a bit of an unfair name, because visiting a destination that has just suffered a natural or man-made calamity is often the best way to help it recover - but I admit my primary focus is snagging a bargain and enjoying a destination with fewer tourists.

On 26/11/2018 at 16:23, Orsino said:

Of course one of the downsides of Lviv is that a month after you book the tickets it looks like the Ukrainian government might declare martial law. 

Martial Law is only declared in 10 of the 25 regions .  . .  those in the East that are more likely to vote for pro-Russian candidates.  

Back from my weekend in Lviv. It was snowing when we arrived, and the Christmas markets were just opening up too. Only a few tourists on the flight out - perhaps 20 or 30 people max. Beautiful old town of Medieval and Austro-Hungarian architecture, old trams, baroque churches, cobbled streets etc. Not many specific tourist sights as such - but a great place to soak up the atmosphere and enough to fill a weekend. Our hotel couldn't have been more central, located on the Old Town square. It was a decent Western standard and cost £60 a night.

I was surprised by this but the food was really excellent. Lots of pork, chicken, mushrooms, sour cream - that kind of thing. A two or three-course meal with wine is unlikely to cost more than £7 to £10 a head in the Old Town.  

Bought Ukrainian champagne in the supermarket for £3 and it was perfectly good. Glass of gluwein for £1, or hot cherry liqueur (a local speciality) for £1.10. Had Ukrainian red wine at the opera house and it was a bit suspect, so I'd suggest sticking to the champagne in that instance. Most restaurants steer you towards the Chilean, French, Spanish stuff for £10 a bottle which is good advice. 

Went to the ballet for the first time at the grand opera house. Great seats for £17 each. Totally blown away by the experience. They're showing Swan Lake next weekend and the Nutcracker the weekend after that. Christmas markets sell hand-knitted socks/gloves/hats, christmas decorations, chocolates etc.

There seems to be a cafe every few yards. It's claimed a local invented the Vienna cafe scene. Excellent coffee and cake for a couple of quid. Decent chocolate too, so I stocked up on a mountain of treats for Christmas for about £7.

Only down side is the early flight from Stansted, but that's just how it is. Absolutely no problem regarding security in Lviv. No indication of the conflict much further east, except the odd banner about Ukrainian prisoners held by Russia, and the novelty tourist shops selling Putin toilet paper.

To top it off, they're doing a promotion at duty free at the airport for Nemiroff vodka for £2.5 a litre. That's the same price as in town. The non-EU limit is 1 bottle but as Lviv and Kiev are pretty much the only non-EU arrivals to Stansted...