House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
prozac

Jewellery linked to £16m Harrods woman seized

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46075369

More than £400,000 of jewellery from the world-famous Christies auction house has been seized by the National Crime Agency, as part of a major investigation into a woman who spent £16m in Harrods.

The 49 items of jewellery were seized on Tuesday by officers investigating the woman and her husband - who are the first targets of a new power looking into unexplained wealth invested in the UK.

Last month, the BBC won a legal battle to name Zamira Hajiyeva, from Azerbaijan, who has been ordered by the courts to explain how she could afford £22m worth of property in the UK.

That property comprised a large home near Harrods, along with two bays in the store's private car park, and a Berkshire golf course.

Mrs Hajiyeva also spent £16m in the luxury goods department store over a decade - some of which went on high value jewellery.

Her husband, Jahangir Hajiyev, is in jail in Azerbaijan after being convicted of defrauding the state bank he once ran of millions of pounds.

On Thursday morning a judge ruled that the NCA could hold the jewellery taken from Christies for six months, as part of its continuing investigation into the family's wealth.

In a statement, the NCA said that Christies had been valuing the items for Mrs Hajiyeva's daughter, Leyla Mahmudova.

Cause and effect, I wonder will the Super rich start taking their Jewellery out of the UK

I have heard soon they will start taking their cars.

Edited by prozac

1 hour ago, dougless said:

On the face of it this is good news but I hope this isn't a token gesture. 

Companies like De Beers must be having a heart Attack

I was once invited to Garrards for a drinky poo and met one of Churchills descendants, she was 6ft6" i guess having good food makes you taller.

Completely off topic but the Bell in Aldworth is probably the best pub in the world; certainly my favorite and it has won many awards.  It has excellent beer, great surroundings, simple but superb filled rolls and their prices are more akin to the Midlands than the South East. 

13 minutes ago, dougless said:

Completely off topic but the Bell in Aldworth is probably the best pub in the world; certainly my favorite and it has won many awards.  It has excellent beer, great surroundings, simple but superb filled rolls and their prices are more akin to the Midlands than the South East. 

Post the menu or next time you go take some pictures and post them here

we should have a pubs thread it would be more interesting than brexit 

Edited by prozac