House Price Crash Forum

Guardian: Number of homeless households moved out of London soars

HOLA441
53 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

The land to feed people can be anywhere on earth. Your argument doesnt work in terms of housing solely in the UK; a country that has to import food to feed everyone. 

So will all these people be levitating above looking down for a place to land? Or will there be enough land for them to walk around on, just not enough to build a house on?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Maverick is correct. Low interest rates are really the insidious, back door tax cut for the better off.  Think how much a landlord with a 300 grand worth of mortgage debt saves per annum at 2 percent rather than a historical average of say 6 percent or more. The saving would be more than the whole yearly income of one of of their tenants working full time on the minimum wage. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
47 minutes ago, nothernsoul said:

Just realised my above post is wrong, as landlords can write off mortgage interest on their tax cant they? 

Some of it...but your point applies to the low interest paid on their home mortgage too.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Frequency of bin collections depend on the local council. In Milton Keynes (also in the south east of the UK) its always been weekly collections of recycling, landfill and green waste. Though they do lead the way in recycling, they have their own factory for that. MK leads the way in a lot of areas actually.

If you send Londoners to the North for housing its a loose loose for the North. They won't get the funding for it and the newcomers are just a drain on the few  local taxpayers in employment up there.

Edited by bear.getting.old

HOLA4410
3 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

If you send Londoners to the North for housing its a loose loose for the North. They won't get the funding for it and the newcomers are just a drain on the few  local taxpayers in employment up there.

I think there should be recompensation, I think the idea is great, it could be a win.  If someone is getting £1K housing benefit in Westminster but their flat costs £500 in Durham.

Durham council get the £500 pcm difference and Westminster an empty flat.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Blackpool is indeed the place for those on long term benefits. Old BandBs now housing those who have been through criminal justice system, you only need to walk around to see individuals with drug problems. A friend working in the police told me he refuses to take his children on days out there because he knows the large numbers of convicted sex offenders who have been dumped there, with inadequate supervision.  I feel very sorry for the ordinary, hard working person who has lived there all their lives and sees this happen to their town. 

HOLA4413
11 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

I suppose if you are going to be on benefits all your life why do you need to be on benefits in the most expensive area of the country? You can be unemployed anywhere lol. It's still a bad deal for Durham. Why Durham anyway? Isn't Blackpool more the place for benefits people

Durham was an example.  This idea would make hideously white places more mixed race which can only be a good thing.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
7 hours ago, bear.getting.old said:

Are you actually kidding me? What a racist comment against whites, and how is that in anyway a good thing?

I was being joking (btw Greg Dyke said that and he was serious) apologies I should have been clearer.  Then again some places voted for politicians like Blair who wanted to make London more diverse, why shouldn't they have the same "blessing" as they gave us?  (Yes I am thinking of Sedgefield).

HOLA4416

Not everyone likes gentrification.....lots are moving out of choice because they do not like how the place is changing......the best places to live is where there is a mixture and where people respect differences.....moneyed people can be just as bad moving into an area, they also can spoil it.?

HOLA4417
On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:23, iamnumerate said:

As a Londoner I would like less money spent on housing benefit here, it would make my life a lot better.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:56, longgone said:

where are they going to stick them then ? They seem to have more power than the average working londoner. 

You don't have to stick them anywhere. I don't know the proportion, but many (most?) people who receive housing benefit work. If they have to pay the full cost of their rent, markets will adjust.

Some people will work elsewhere. Employers will pay more if they struggle to replace them.

Some people will commute from outside. Landlords will reduce their rents to compete for the reduced number of tenants.

It won't be easy for those who receive housing benefit, as it will probably take a long time for markets to adjust. It could be hurried up by much tougher measures on landlords, anyone wilth empty properties and landbankers.

HOLA4418
26 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

You don't have to stick them anywhere. I don't know the proportion, but many (most?) people who receive housing benefit work. If they have to pay the full cost of their rent, markets will adjust.

Some people will work elsewhere. Employers will pay more if they struggle to replace them.

Some people will commute from outside. Landlords will reduce their rents to compete for the reduced number of tenants.

It won't be easy for those who receive housing benefit, as it will probably take a long time for markets to adjust. It could be hurried up by much tougher measures on landlords, anyone wilth empty properties and landbankers.

All sounds good to me and the money saved could be used to improve the infrastructure outside London - win, win.

HOLA4419
28 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

I agree although I don't think it will take that long for markets to adjust (obviously those who don't work would have to move).