House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bluechutes

Another Debt Suicide

Poor Sod.

If only he knew that his debts were nothing compared to what some of the chav scum have built up(and without a care in the world as well).

It is obvious that debt bothered this poor lad, if he had not given a toss he might be alive today, there is message in this story somewhere.

Sam

I had a 2 grand overdraft and no student loans....and I was happy with that.

The guy must have been unstable in the first place to not be able to deal with the problem?.

Agree. A tragedy, but I can't see any rational person being tipped over the edge by a grand of debt.

I detest the complicity of the banks and this government and their concerted policy of sinking people in as much debt from as young an age as possible, the 60's generation that protested against the smallest things are now happy to trample over everyone now they're in power. Not only have they kicked the ladder down from behind them but they've taken the broken shards and rammed them in everyones backs, and taken pride in doing so.

They've made yet another pay, great.

Agree. A tragedy, but I can't see any rational person being tipped over the edge by a grand of debt.

I don't think there's ever a single reason for suicide, but even the bulls have to agree that the future doesn't look particularly bright for young people right now. The older you are the more secure you can be in the fact that things change - prices are out of reach for most now, but they won't always be, debts look big now, but won't always be and so on. But I'd hate to be 15 years younger and facing the mess that BTL etc has created.

The guy must have been unstable in the first place to not be able to deal with the problem?.

We shouldn't be putting people in this position in the first place, the kid wanted to better himself and paid dearly for the privilege, whilst punishing people who are actually trying to make a success of themselves the government has no qualms about throwing money at some useless chav sponger which they consider to be a 'client group'.

We shouldn't be putting people in this position in the first place, the kid wanted to better himself and paid dearly for the privilege, whilst punishing people who are actually trying to make a success of themselves the government has no qualms about throwing money at some useless chav sponger which they consider to be a 'client group'.

It is kinda the norm to have an over draft at uni, and having a student account should mean that they can't call the debt in until you have graduated etc but I guess this is what the loans system is for.

It is kinda the norm to have an over draft at uni, and having a student account should mean that they can't call the debt in until you have graduated etc but I guess this is what the loans system is for.

Indeed, but it's still a debt and not exactly a good start, especially when our virtuous politicians were showered in grants and fees were out of the question.

Indeed, but it's still a debt and not exactly a good start, especially when our virtuous politicians were showered in grants and fees were out of the question.

1k of debt is an amount that is easily tackled. Very sad story.

That's the whole system today. They want you to be in debt by the time you leave university - pay off the loan to get a degree, pay of the loan to buy a house. Just maybe when you get ready to retire you can celebrate as you're out of debt, but wait, your pension is all screwed. The coming of the Grim Reaper may be a blessing.

Edited by Mr Blek

Where does it say he had 1k of debt? With little help from the state or parents at 20 this kid was probably utterly drowning in huge debt.

When I started work, the college debts meant I literally went hungry and felt dispondent when I finally went through the soles of my shoes. I was on such a low 'graduate' wage that even being super-frugal I often added to the debts, which made it feel like paying to work!

As a debt-hater who would never have taken on loans for anything frivolous it was a miserable time for sure.

I suppose I'm a toughie but I could see many young people with even the slightest tendency towards depression and no rich dad to bail them out fall into suicide due to student debts.

Loading up young people who've never had a full time job with megadebt, often by filling their heads with lots of false promises, is a major evil of our time.

Blair, Brown, the banks. Charge the scumbags with corporate manslaughter.

Guest Bart of Darkness

You see IMO to succeed in life you have to be willing to bet everything you have. I do that every day & it's now a big bet.

However a person with a small deposit, buying their first place, is making a very small bet IMO.

There are two possible outcomes if you try hard enough (there's a third, mediocrity), bankruptcy, or wealth. If you don't try for wealth, you won't risk bankruptcy, but nor will you have much to show for your years either.

So there you are. This kid obviously didn't have the "right stuff" according to the criteria laid down by our resident "sucess story".

A casulty of war.

I was going to post something along these lines in the previous thread on this subject but was reluctant then.

However, now I'm going to.

I've had, during my lifetime at various stages, 3 people close to me do this.

Now the point I want to make is that the "System" doesn't care one iota.

Family and friends do, and agonise about whether they could have averted what happened.

These people are though, merely the "casualities of war". The war of life, relationships and well, the World.

Look how the Politicians utter their words of condolence to the families of the military dead and then carry on with the wars.