House Price Crash Forum

Agents crying

HOLA441
On 26/10/2018 at 22:30, mrtickle said:

A lie. 

The tenant's contract is NOT "ending in December". 

It is automatically changing over to a rolling contract, and NOTHING, NOTHING at all needs to be done in December.

The agent wants to con your sib into paying them, to draw up a new one.

The agent wants to con the tenant into paying, for a new one.

Good point. I've sent this over and advised to look at online agents. These blatant manipulations and tactics really get my goat. 

HOLA442
7 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Good point. I've sent this over and advised to look at online agents. These blatant manipulations and tactics really get my goat. 

Awesome. Thanks. It gets my goat too - the enormous lie just swept under the carpet.

When I rented I read my contract, told the landlord that there was no need to sign a new agreement every six months and he was perfectly happy. In fact he was delighted as he told me they were charging him all the time for them (this was in 2001 before there was much in the way of fees for tenants) and I had saved him a load of money.

We needs lots of angry landlords screaming at the agents for lying to them about "needing" new contracts every 6 months. Hopefully with some of them demanding refunds.

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA443
On 27/10/2018 at 08:18, Dorkins said:

True. Letting agents have probably made billions of pounds out of the fact that many tenants are confused about their automatic right to move onto a rolling contract at the end of the fixed period if the landlord doesn't give notice.

Ah but most landlords do give notice right at the start of the tenancy, and that only gets withdrawn if/when you renew for another year.

However there is an easy, tried and tested workaround - tell the agent verbally - "yes of course Im going to renew, the cheques in the post" just to get them off your back, then do absolutely nothing and you will automatically be moved onto on a rolling contract.

HOLA444
3 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

Ah but most landlords do give notice right at the start of the tenancy, and that only gets withdrawn if/when you renew for another year.

However there is an easy, tried and tested workaround - tell the agent verbally - "yes of course Im going to renew, the cheques in the post" just to get them off your back, then do absolutely nothing and you will automatically be moved onto on a rolling contract.

LLs can no longer give section 21 notice at the beginning of a tenancy. They need to wait four months before issuing it (that's why the minimum AST is six months in length).

Going into a rolling contracting or entering into another fix term contract really depends on your situation. Tenants shouldn't feel forced into signing up to a new contract but for those who want some peace of mind for another 12 months the rip off renewal fees are the lesser evil.

HOLA445
10 hours ago, skrillex said:

LLs can no longer give section 21 notice at the beginning of a tenancy. They need to wait four months before issuing it (that's why the minimum AST is six months in length).

Going into a rolling contracting or entering into another fix term contract really depends on your situation. Tenants shouldn't feel forced into signing up to a new contract but for those who want some peace of mind for another 12 months the rip off renewal fees are the lesser evil.

True.

Though they only get peace of mind for another 6 months. At (sometimes as much gouging as) 200 GBP that's quite expensive piece of mind.

Also: when in an SPT the tenant notice period drops to 1 (calendar) month, the LL remains on 2.

This is another benefit of an SPT for a Tenant.

HOLA446
On 26/10/2018 at 22:34, mrtickle said:

But as we know, that is a completely false dichotomy.

Those are NOT the only two choices. You forgot the one that's actually going to happen: "Pay no fees, and the same (or lower) rent".

The landlords and agents don't realise yet - but that's the way it's going to be.

Even if there were a true dichotomy, people would much prefer an all-in price rather than a load of flimsy add-on charges, as we once saw with the likes of Ryanair (£1 flight + booking fee of £100).

In reality, these charges never used to exist and are a recent development, and unlike the budget airlines, rents were not held down, but rather the overall cost of renting increased. Letting agents realised that they could sting both the landlord and the tenant. I imagine that if anything, landlord charges were held down - after all, estate agents need the landlords before they can do business.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Can I suggest that your friend posts a review of their former agents here? https://www.allagents.co.uk/

I have no connection to the site, I just think it's nice to save the next punter the trouble of dealing with scumbags.

Wow. Was just browsing.

https://www.allagents.co.uk/review/325247/

is outrageous, and I'm sure isn't isolated. These agents are pure pure scum.

HOLA4413
52 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Can I suggest that your friend posts a review of their former agents here? https://www.allagents.co.uk/

I have no connection to the site, I just think it's nice to save the next punter the trouble of dealing with scumbags.

Thanks! This is excellent find, will read up and add couple of things myself.

HOLA4414

The agent or landlord can still issue a no fault eviction order prior to requesting a new contract to avoid going into a rolling contract but of course risk the tennant moving out and leaving an unexpected void because they don't have to give notice to leave themselves.

The last property we rented did this but were moving anyway so never re-signed the contract much to the agents puzzlement when we left.

HOLA4415
5 minutes ago, nightowl said:

The agent or landlord can still issue a no fault eviction order prior to requesting a new contract to avoid going into a rolling contract but of course risk the tennant moving out and leaving an unexpected void because they don't have to give notice to leave themselves.

The last property we rented did this but were moving anyway so never re-signed the contract much to the agents puzzlement when we left.

EN-bullwinkle-im-so-confused-button-busy

HOLA4416

Yes pleased glad they got caught out. Dodgy smegs. I’ll encourage a review once they’re properly out of contract.

Rent is under market but I advised to be careful about increase. Tenant is worth keeping on side as this rent money supplements income from a job as a disabled carer.

HOLA4417

Sadly good agencies are in the minority.  You do get better at navigating this shark infested minefield with experience though.  It should not be that way, but without tough regulation nothing will change.

My experience of 4 London rentals in 4 years:
1. bad agent (Foxtons) / roomy but expensive, noisy & cold property / bad landlord
2. good agent (Spencer Munson) / middling, good value property / good landlady
3. middling agent (Spencers) / good, value property / middling landlord
4. good agent (Hamways) / very good but slightly pricey property / very good landlord 

Hamways appears to be tightly bound to the landlord.  They negotiated hard on rent.  I only got it reduced to £1265 from £1325 asking.  Quite roomy NE London Zone 3/4 2 bed.  BUT, whilst there have been a few maintenance issues, on 2 occasions I couldn't get back to the flat fast enough to make the same day appts they suggested.  They are that fast and everything including white goods is repaired to a high standard with no quibbles.
It's just gone rolling and they have simply just continued to collect the rent without a peep about an increase, renewal fees, pre-emptive S21 or any other nonsense.  I could probably have negotiated a reduction as rents are easing in the locality but I don't feel inclined as they have been so well behaved.  

The fact that Hamway/Wm Pears are so professional / play the long game, just throws the scumbags into even sharper relief.

HOLA4418

Why does anyone use a letting agent at all?  Just advertise it to let - credit checks cost very little and reference checks are easy.  Letting is always going to be risky, with or without an agent.  Letting agents have no liability for letting your house to a maniac, so they don't actually give any protection anyway.

An online letting agent seems utterly pointless.  If you're not getting any in-person service then you really may as well save your money and just do it yourself.

I particularly like that they say they're increasing the fees by 1.5%.  I'm assuming this is a rise in their commission, so a 1.5% rise is actually a much bigger percentage rise, so they're not increasing by 1.5% at all, probably more like 10% or more.

HOLA4419
On 26/10/2018 at 12:46, happyguy said:

he is right there are certainly posters on here who have said exactly that.  I guess in many ways it depends if you are looking for a home or an investment.  

agreed a home should be exactly that A HOME - assume the people waiting are paying 1k rent a month so over the last 5 years 60k not paid from the mortgage but paid off someone else's mortgage

I am amazed at the number of people here who whine about  homeowners for buying a home and making money but then say they are not buying because they think they will make a killing in the future!  The cannot see the irony LOL 

HOLA4420
43 minutes ago, happyguy said:

agreed a home should be exactly that A HOME - assume the people waiting are paying 1k rent a month so over the last 5 years 60k not paid from the mortgage but paid off someone else's mortgage

yawn

HOLA4421
8 hours ago, happyguy said:

I am amazed at the number of people here who whine about  homeowners for buying a home and making money but then say they are not buying because they think they will make a killing in the future! 

So you are amazed that the number is 0, because no-one has said that.

HOLA4422
8 hours ago, happyguy said:

I am amazed at the number of people here who whine about  homeowners for buying a home and making money but then say they are not buying because they think they will make a killing in the future!  The cannot see the irony LOL 

15 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

So you are amazed that the number is 0, because no-one has said that.

I have read several "all the best for your new home" /"hope it works out to be a great home" responses on here to several posts over several years. 

Not buying because they don't want to give money away is not the same as making a killing... Am sure there is probably an example or two of idiots who conflate those (it takes all kinds)... but anyone smart enough to understand that price falls can outpace rent just as much the other way around is smart enough to work this through. 

Disclosure: I (on balance and in terms of stability for my children) had to buy when I did... Convinced I have burnt several thousand working hours of my future to do this. So far the government props continue to inflate prices enough to keep my personal waste to a minimum. Not convinced that will last. 

More props and ZIRP and my children will suffer even more. 

But the overwhelming message to me was one of support and encouragement from even the most ardent S2Rs and those whose rent is thrown away... And who couldn't/weren't able to/unwilling to be as dumb-lucky as me. 

Recent discussions I have had on hpc have reminded me that some here are just conrmtrarians... But few are so judgemental of others that they accuse a large portion mainstream HPCers (if there is such a thing) of stupidity.