House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rantnrave

Landbanking Under Fire

So the article says they are sitting on enough land to build 130000 homes. Unless there is a zero missing I am failing to see the issue. I would prefer that there was much more land available for houses to be built on. 

39 minutes ago, doomed said:

Unless there is a zero missing I am failing to see the issue.

+1

That's the trouble with hiring journalists exclusively from the humanities, they are incapable of handling numbers.

If the UK is building 250k houses per year and developers are holding enough land for 130k houses that means they have 6 months' land banked, hardly a scandal.

33 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

+1

That's the trouble with hiring journalists exclusively from the humanities, they are incapable of handling numbers.

If the UK is building 250k houses per year and developers are holding enough land for 130k houses that means they have 6 months' land banked, hardly a scandal.

sounds very light to me. i would imagine plenty of land is held on the periphery of established towns already. do the stats only count when planning has already been granted?

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

+1

I would only call landbank if its 12 months and over.

What you have to watch out for is where one builder sells land to another builder after 12 months, and so on, in chain

that could skew numbers

This is good news. What matters is that more plots are being made available, that's the single most important factor. You can't expect builders to instantly ramp up production.

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/charts/embed/oct/2018-10-25T10:23:51/embed.html

If after a few years it turns out that big developers are still not ramping up, then we can start moaning.  But as long as the Govt signals that more plots will be released, it would be dumb to land bank.

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

+1

+1

The gap between planning consents granted and houses being built is widening...that is of interest and unwelcome.  Some of these sites may have had planning consents for years but they are 'banked' - why?  Perhaps to stop over supply in particular locations?

I agree this isn't be biggest story when it comes to HPI injustice but then it seems the MSM usually misses the point, they know there is a serious problem and readers are interested in housing related subjects but they can't or won't quite put their finger on the real issue...