House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rantnrave

This shouldnt come as a surprise to any HPC regulars...

Yes...take their properties off of them and give them (return them??) to the council.

Same goes for the 'beds in sheds' landlords. And any other landlord that isn't capable of managing a spinning top let alone a dwelling.

Surprised the Grauniad has raised an issue with the nationality of the landlords?  I thought they were internationalists and blind to such brutish discrimination.

26 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Surprised the Grauniad has raised an issue with the nationality of the landlords?  I thought they were internationalists and blind to such brutish discrimination.

They didn't as far as I can see. They raised an issue over the location of the landlords. Even the two UK-held flats prosecuted were owned by non-local investors (in London and Wolverhampton).  

Of the 13 Mill View flats that were the focus of the licensing prosecutions against Elite, only two were owned by UK-based investors (in London and Wolverhampton) at the start of the investigation. The remaining 11 were all held offshore, in jurisdictions ranging from the Isle of Man to Russia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and Dubai.

This story brings up several wider issues.

1) The primary beneficiary of housing benefit is landlords, not tenants (the Guardian still struggles to clearly see this)

2) Absentee landlords are a problem in general. See no evil, fix no evil.

3) International investment in UK housing is very much not restricted to 'prime London'

4) Benefits, including housing benefits, which are then shipped offshore are an additional national deficit not accounted for in public accounts. How big is this problem? The Goverment could ban housing benefit from going to properties owned overseas. Doubt they will.

2 hours ago, Quicken said:

2) Absentee landlords are a problem in general. See no evil, fix no evil.

When they pay no UK tax and hence have no interest in offsetting repairs and maintenance  against it - it's a recipe for failure. 

Edited by PeanutButter

I wonder if I can go and buy property in those countries...I think I know the answer. We need a reciprocal arrangement. In whose interests is it that non nationals can buy 'investment' properties and extract rents? Might it be the wealthy owners of land and property? Might this be why the UK has this unusual open approach.? So many questions but always the outcome...poor tenant suffers in misery and wealthy owners of land and property enjoy inflated asset prices and rents.

We all knew this and it is good that it is getting more exposure. Today the Guardian tomorrow the Telegraph and next year in the manifesto. 

Well, probably not, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

We all knew this and it is good that it is getting more exposure. Today the Guardian tomorrow the Telegraph and next year in the manifesto. 

Well, probably not, but we'll see.

Funny how none of these concepts were raised in the MSM before Brexit. What changed?

1 hour ago, highYield said:

Funny how none of these concepts were raised in the MSM before Brexit. What changed?

To be fair, it has been widely discussed for years, particularly in relation to the upper ends of the London property market. 

There has been less attention paid to the extent to which foreigners had bought properties in the regions and the extent of it has only recently started to emerge, but I don't see it as a Brexit related issue.

1 minute ago, Ah-so said:

To be fair, it has been widely discussed for years, particularly in relation to the upper ends of the London property market. 

There has been less attention paid to the extent to which foreigners had bought properties in the regions and the extent of it has only recently started to emerge, but I don't see it as a Brexit related issue.

Good point.

I'd say that our politicians have claimed (unjustifiably) to be unable to discriminate against furriners hoovering dysoning up UK homes because the EU innit. But, sorry - don't meant to take this thread OT.

10 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

You're not serious. My loaf of bread from Tesco has a Union Jack on it, Aldi are campaigning on their British heritage, the Guardian is running graphics of foreign flags buying English property. Businesses are selling nationalism because that's popular right now. Some of them are pretending to be anti-nationalism at the same time.

6 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

You're not serious. My loaf of bread from Tesco has a Union Jack on it, Aldi are campaigning on their British heritage, the Guardian is running graphics of foreign flags buying English property. Businesses are selling nationalism because that's popular right now. Some of them are pretending to be anti-nationalism at the same time.

As mentioned, these stories have been around for years:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26980299

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/revealed-how-foreign-buyers-have-bought-100bn-of-london-property-in-six-years-a3095936.html?amp

5 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

Visit Switzerland. In every supermarket, Swiss produce has a mini Swiss flag flying above it. Lidl calls itself Lidl Suisse. If you fly Easyjet to Geneva, the English voiceover thanks you for flying Easyjet, then the French translation thanks you for flying with 'Easyjet Suisse'.

2 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

They have, but this is a taster for a major plank of Labour party policy for a coming general election. Brexit-hating millenials will vote for a trade union platform that could never be passed inside the EU because foreigners are buying their houses and the people need QE too.

1 minute ago, highYield said:

Visit Switzerland. In every supermarket, Swiss produce has a mini Swiss flag flying above it. Lidl calls itself Lidl Suisse. If you fly Easyjet to Geneva, the English voiceover thanks you for flying Easyjet, then the French translation thanks you for flying with 'Easyjet Suisse'.

I know there is nationalism in other nations, I just find the hypocrisy and irony these days in the UK to be like an elephant in the room. It's not limited to Labour by any means, Thatcher's party putting shopkeepers out of business while running up debt becoming commercial landlords doesn't get a mention either.

I think I read it somewhere that the foreign money laundered through UK property market could be up to £1 Billion per day. That's £365 Billion a year and about 20% GDP.

If the government really  stops foreign money laundry, we would have a recession worse than the Greeks.

The world is mad.

13 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

I know there is nationalism in other nations, I just find the hypocrisy and irony these days in the UK to be like an elephant in the room. It's not limited to Labour by any means, Thatcher's party putting shopkeepers out of business while running up debt becoming commercial landlords doesn't get a mention either.

Promoting local produce is good for many reasons, from reducing food miles to keeping money/wealth within the local community. It gets ridiculous when privately owned Herman firms, or UK public firms, masquerade as local ones.