House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BusBuilder

Key Workers

More and more of the Low Cost or Social Housing Flats of new Developments are being sold on a Shared Ownership basis (subsidised by the Taxpayer) to "Key Workers" only.

Can someone define who or what a "key worker" is [picks up axe and switches on grinder] ....

Is a Teacher a Key Worker? Many teachers I know earn decent money running training courses in the City or teaching IT (anything up to £1,500 per day). I also know of other teachers who earn many millions per year (Tony Robbins and others) so I take it this only applies to teachers who work for the Government as opposed to teachers who work for private enterprise (including private schools).

Is a Policeman/woman a "key Worker"? What about the security guard who patrols our building is he a Key Worker as well? He does more to keep us secure than the Police and it's a "Key" function right? But I guess he doesn't work for the Government so he can't be a Key Worker.

Anyone else?

Bin Men (Local Council staff) but not Skip Hire Driver (private contractor)

Nurses working for the NHS but not Nurses working for a private Clinic

Doctors/GPs working for the NHS but not if they work for their own private practice.

Firemen but not Fire Safety Control System Contractors

It seems to me that being classified as a Key Worker is based upon the level of income. Employees who choose to earn less and work for the Government (although this is now debatable thanks to the largesse of GB) are rewarded with subsidised housing while those that better themselves and earn more by working for private enterprises are not even classified as being important.

A fair distribution of tax? Private employees pay the tax to pay for the Government workers salaries and wages and also pay for the housing of these workers who incidentally they are competing against for the provision of services (kind of like BP paying for Shell’s employees houses).

Also another question (may well have been answered before). Does the forum generally think Shared Ownership is a fair or good approach?

But I guess he doesn't work for the Government so he can't be a Key Worker.

Exactly: only people who work for the government do anything important, so we can all live without the rest if they can't afford to buy a house.

In April 2002, the Council adopted the following definition of a key worker:

“...employees in essential, universally accessible public and private services, without whom those services would operate at below optimal levels, and workers in those sectors whose income is insufficient to allow them to access reasonable accommodation in the private market, or who do not receive priority assistance through the relevant housing legislation...”

From : http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/services/hou.../keyworkers.htm

So there you have it - you can work in private services and still be classed as a key worker.

The bloke that sells me his delicious kebabs on the odd occasion I get totally rat-arsed with my mates does a very valuable and essential public service. Without him, the experience of the evening would be sub-optimal. He offers his services universally. I reckon he earns a relatively low income so next time I see him I will recommend he applies for a cheap house.

As is typical of this scumverment - the whole scheme is a farce and a disgrace

Oh yes - I forgot to add....I just wonder how many addtional civil service jobs have been created in the UK to administer this farcical scheme...and surely these people too would also qualify under the very same scheme. (the do a valuable job and earn a low wage yada yada yada).....as the scheme grows you would need even more civil servants to administrate...and so on and so on......a veritable "perpetual motion machine"

Maybe this is Browns plan after all....we ALL become civil servants and we are ALL employed by the government so will all need government subsidised houses....a cycle of dependancy that Brown et. al would love

Edited by eternalnomad

It seems to me to be a subsidy for those who didn't quite manage to get where they wanted in life (i.e. if they're a doctor, then their own private practice), so perhaps having no better than a lower second class degree is a pre-requisite too.

Maybe this is Browns plan after all....we ALL become civil servants and we are ALL employed by the government so will all need government subsidised houses.

Exactly. It's called communism.

The bloke that sells me his delicious kebabs on the odd occasion I get totally rat-arsed with my mates does a very valuable and essential public service. Without him, the experience of the evening would be sub-optimal. He offers his services universally. I reckon he earns a relatively low income so next time I see him I will recommend he applies for a cheap house.

Excellent! :lol: Maybe we should come up with a list of "Real" Key Workers. I.e. those that provide an essential and valuable service without which we could not live (or at least enjoy) our daily lives.

Kebab Shop Workers

Bar Staff (but not Publicans that would just be ridiculous)

Minicab Drivers

Okay I better stop this list will just get very seedy very quickly.

Exactly. It's called communism.

Its just another garbage attempt to paper over the cracks in several areas. Houses ten times your salary?never mind Uncle Gordon will lend you a bit of cash...see, look how affordable they are now.

Due to massive shortages of secondary teachers in London, its a golden handcuffs deal so if you get sick of being spat on, punched and sworn at by teenagers and want out......you lose your house.

God bless 'im....... <_<

Excellent! :lol: Maybe we should come up with a list of "Real" Key Workers. I.e. those that provide an essential and valuable service without which we could not live (or at least enjoy) our daily lives.

Kebab Shop Workers

Bar Staff (but not Publicans that would just be ridiculous)

Minicab Drivers

Okay I better stop this list will just get very seedy very quickly.

Ok -here is my nomination for an essential job in the UK today..

Those people who kindly tell me to "Mind the gap" whilst I am about to board a tube train

I mean, without them I would be certain to lose all sense of mind/body co-ordination and launch myself into the narrow gap between the train and the platform.

How I wish their voice circuitry could be upgraded to "Waste of taxpayers money version 2.02" and also announce "Please remember to breathe in and out as well as minding the gap".....there is always the risk I may forget

Ok -here is my nomination for an essential job in the UK today..

Those people who kindly tell me to "Mind the gap" whilst I am about to board a tube train

I mean, without them I would be certain to lose all sense of mind/body co-ordination and launch myself into the narrow gap between the train and the platform.

How I wish their voice circuitry could be upgraded to "Waste of taxpayers money version 2.02" and also announce "Please remember to breathe in and out as well as minding the gap".....there is always the risk I may forget

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Maybe we should come up with a list of "Real" Key Workers. I.e. those that provide an essential and valuable service without which we could not live (or at least enjoy) our daily lives.

Minicab Drivers

You're joking, right? :blink:

1) we can all get by without cab drivers. (I would rather lump 5 bags about in the pouring rain than pay for a cab)

2) they earn a fortune

A key worker is essentially someone who'll do a crap job for a crap pay & not try to better themselves. So they're locked into half purchases/rental agreements that tie them into their jobs for decades.....

Maybe we should come up with a list of "Real" Key Workers. I.e. those that provide an essential and valuable service without which we could not live (or at least enjoy) our daily lives.

Landlord springs to mind.

Your not a landlord TTRTR's..

Your bank is..

My parents are, they own their rental property..

As my dad says..

The market goes up and down.. just wait..

You're joking, right? :blink:

Ummmm .. Yes! Thought that was obvious. I was using humour to illustrate the ridiculous notion that some (primarily Government) workers are classified as "Key" when in fact depending on your needs or wants at the time almost any worker could be deemed a key worker e.g. it's late at night and you are hungry and a little worse for wear a key worker is going to be anyone serving you food (as in eternalnomad's example).

Edited by BusBuilder

A key worker is essentially someone who'll do a crap job for a crap pay & not try to better themselves. So they're locked into half purchases/rental agreements that tie them into their jobs for decades.....

You mean lazy public servants ?

A bit serious but yes what could be more essential than providing a safe and comfortable home for somone to live in? Therefore Landlords are indeed Key Workers.

I know that all 'Key Workers' lets say Government workers don't earn mega bucks.... that's my caveat.... but alot do.

I have a friend, nice girl, she's a newly qualified Dr, so is her Fiancee, they have a combined income in excess of £100k, I take nothing away from that well done to them.....

.....what I do object to is the interest free loan and housing assistance that they automatically qualify for as 'Key workers' likewise a tube driver on £35k a policeman on £50k, etc etc. DO NOT need assistance. :angry:

More and more of the Low Cost or Social Housing Flats of new Developments are being sold on a Shared Ownership basis (subsidised by the Taxpayer) to "Key Workers" only.

Can someone define who or what a "key worker" is [picks up axe and switches on grinder] ....

Is a Teacher a Key Worker? Many teachers I know earn decent money running training courses in the City or teaching IT (anything up to £1,500 per day). I also know of other teachers who earn many millions per year (Tony Robbins and others) so I take it this only applies to teachers who work for the Government as opposed to teachers who work for private enterprise (including private schools).

Is a Policeman/woman a "key Worker"? What about the security guard who patrols our building is he a Key Worker as well? He does more to keep us secure than the Police and it's a "Key" function right? But I guess he doesn't work for the Government so he can't be a Key Worker.

Anyone else?

Bin Men (Local Council staff) but not Skip Hire Driver (private contractor)

Nurses working for the NHS but not Nurses working for a private Clinic

Doctors/GPs working for the NHS but not if they work for their own private practice.

Firemen but not Fire Safety Control System Contractors

It seems to me that being classified as a Key Worker is based upon the level of income. Employees who choose to earn less and work for the Government (although this is now debatable thanks to the largesse of GB) are rewarded with subsidised housing while those that better themselves and earn more by working for private enterprises are not even classified as being important.

A fair distribution of tax? Private employees pay the tax to pay for the Government workers salaries and wages and also pay for the housing of these workers who incidentally they are competing against for the provision of services (kind of like BP paying for Shell’s employees houses).

Also another question (may well have been answered before). Does the forum generally think Shared Ownership is a fair or good approach?

As far as I am aware 'government workers' in offices do not get any kind of grant or subsidised housing.

I think its only teachers, fireman, policeman etc.

I don't think anyone should have 'subsidised housing', no-one is any more 'special' than anyone else in my opinion. After all if all the nurses have subsidised housing but can't buy any food shopping because there are no workers in the shops due to lack of affordable housing. The whole thing is stupid. If nurses etc

truely were left priced out of the property market then prices would soon have to come down.

This is just another way of ramping the housing market.

As far as I am aware 'government workers' in offices do not get any kind of grant or subsidised housing.

I think its only teachers, fireman, policeman etc.

Have a look at another wonderful policy document at

http://www.winchester.gov.uk/Documents/Hou..._worker2005.pdf

Page 12 goes into some detail about who qualifies as a "Key Worker" and here is one of them

"Designated Serco Employees"

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but arent SERCO (code = SRP.L.) quite a large privately owned organisation that outsources jobs from local authorities and other and according to their website..

"..Serco has a £100m business, employing 3000 people and spanning a range of services ...."

I feel really proud that I know my taxes are going to fund cheap housing for private sector employees because their employers will not pay a decent enough salary...whilst the shareholders can enjoy a nice return thank you very much.

The country has gone mad.

Have a look at another wonderful policy document at

http://www.winchester.gov.uk/Documents/Hou..._worker2005.pdf

Page 12 goes into some detail about who qualifies as a "Key Worker" and here is one of them

"Designated Serco Employees"

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but arent SERCO (code = SRP.L.) quite a large privately owned organisation that outsources jobs from local authorities and other and according to their website..

"..Serco has a £100m business, employing 3000 people and spanning a range of services ...."

I feel really proud that I know my taxes are going to fund cheap housing for private sector employees because their employers will not pay a decent enough salary...whilst the shareholders can enjoy a nice return thank you very much.

The country has gone mad.

That is outrageous and far worse than I imagined. The Civil Service is simply running amok* with our taxes.

*Run amok – to be or become out of control, especially in a frenzied way

Just accept that it's now an "Alice in Wonderland " situation with the "Queens" defining all.

I sit here and alternately laugh and despair.

"Keyworkers" a nonsensical concept, as I've posted before. All play their essential part from the cleaner to the CEO.

Except I do suspect that this Government has created some positions that we wouldn't miss if they ceased to exist.

More and more of the Low Cost or Social Housing Flats of new Developments are being sold on a Shared Ownership basis (Subsidised by the taxpayer) to "Key Workers" only.

HaHaHaHaHaHa

The valuation of keyworker accommodation is often such that if you could get the morgage and had the right to buy whatever was on the market you could get the whole of an equivalent place for less (often far less). The problem is, that if you are below the average wage you are unlikely to get the morgage, so instead you will pay the equivalent of a full morgage you would pay for a similar property in 1/2 ownership morgage and 1/2 rent. ITS A RIPOFF.

More and more of the Low Cost or Social Housing Flats of new Developments are being sold on a Shared Ownership basis (Subsidised by the taxpayer) to "Key Workers" only.

Its not based on income, its based on whether you are providing a direct essential service, with restrictions to try and take account of income.

Shared ownership is neither fair nor good,

1. because far from being subsidied the prices low paid individuals are coughing up are in line with (or I would say, above) the bubble.

2. because relying on 1. it is sustaining the bubble.

3. because any crash is going to affect those poorly paid workers more than it will affect those with more dispersed assets, and greater flexibility to ride out the storm.

4. because it is an inflexible market and those people are stuck with a limited buyer range and Housing Association control over the final settlement price. What happens if you want to sell, and you can't find a buyer without dropping the price. The HA can refuse to sell below the valuation of their share. These people are the most at risk of being forced to ride the market down.

That is outrageous and far worse than I imagined. The Civil Service is simply running amok* with our taxes.

*Run amok – to be or become out of control, especially in a frenzied way

To set the record staight, from someone who works in afordable housing provision, there are essentially two definitions of a keyworker, one set by the government and in some locations one set locally by Councils.

The government definition changes from time to time but essentially includes most key public services such as health, education, police, fire services and some local authority posts such as social workers etc. This is viewed as a restrictive definition so local Councils go further and consider, on a local basis, what essential positions suffer from recruitment and retention difficulties.

Keyworker housing funded through government grant is only availble to the government defined list of keyworkers. I could go on about the rights and wrongs and the major problems of empty keyworker shared ownership but just wanted to set the record straight.

To set the record staight, from someone who works in afordable housing provision, there are essentially two definitions of a keyworker, one set by the government and in some locations one set locally by Councils.

The government definition changes from time to time but essentially includes most key public services such as health, education, police, fire services and some local authority posts such as social workers etc. This is viewed as a restrictive definition so local Councils go further and consider, on a local basis, what essential positions suffer from recruitment and retention difficulties.

Keyworker housing funded through government grant is only availble to the government defined list of keyworkers. I could go on about the rights and wrongs and the major problems of empty keyworker shared ownership but just wanted to set the record straight.

In other words, a total shambles.

Any Government, whatever the shade, should ensure for all, access to the essentials at an affordable price.

Decent housing is an essential.

This Government has failed in this area.