Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Longtermrenter

Dodgy Letting Agents - no knowledge of new EPC requirements

Recommended Posts

Saw this:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-68114953.html

Now withdrawn from Rightmove but brochure still available. Spoke to the agent http://laingbennett.co.uk/ and asked if it had an exemption as the EPC was a G rating. She told me it didn't. I reminded her it was illegal to let a property with a rating below E and she told me in a very rude manner that I was incorrect and the law had not come into force yet. Reported to council who have actually replied and will investigate. She was head of lettings! Funny thing is this comes in for all tenancies by April 2020 - so far there are no recorded [penalties for breaches but doing my best to change this - they won't get penalised as it hasn't been let yet but nice to think they will get a phone call and feel a bit stupid (I imagine somehow she will still think she was right all along - pesky tenants - know thy place!)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to get another property pulled from Rightmove. Funny thing is I saw this a couple of years ago - they usually have 3 or 4 cottages to rent, and saw the EPC's were F and some of them G I think and I wondered how they would cope with new law. Funnily enough, while Folkestone and Hythe were interested int his, Canterbury Council who this property fall under, just told me to contact trading standards. This property also had an expired EPC - nice!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-57741843.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesinstant&utm_term=letting&sc_id=27809275&onetime_savedPropertyId=57741843#summary57741843

 

Agents: https://www.sandersonsuk.com/

I urge people to look out for these properties and report them. A good way of finding them is to use map view in Rightmove and look for countryside properties as it is often those that will fail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it councils can keep money raised from the fines and therefore are incentivised to pursue these...

I am sure my place would fail given the horrendous draft through the broken sliding doors but this is why it's so cheap with no rent increase in 3.5 years..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Longtermrenter said:

Managed to get another property pulled from Rightmove. Funny thing is I saw this a couple of years ago - they usually have 3 or 4 cottages to rent, and saw the EPC's were F and some of them G I think and I wondered how they would cope with new law. Funnily enough, while Folkestone and Hythe were interested int his, Canterbury Council who this property fall under, just told me to contact trading standards. This property also had an expired EPC - nice!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-57741843.html?utm_content=v2-ealertspropertyimage&utm_medium=email&utm_source=emailupdates&utm_campaign=emailupdatesinstant&utm_term=letting&sc_id=27809275&onetime_savedPropertyId=57741843#summary57741843

 

Agents: https://www.sandersonsuk.com/

I urge people to look out for these properties and report them. A good way of finding them is to use map view in Rightmove and look for countryside properties as it is often those that will fail.

They are correct as TS deal with [or probabaly do very little about] complaints of no-EPC. The council cannot deal with a complaint about not reaching EPC of E if there is no valid EPC!.

Would appear that LLs can use "no-upfront cost" funding. I assume that means tenants pay over some years with a cost [most expensive price plus financing cost with no input from tenant as to what they want done] added to energy bills.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-private-rented-property-minimum-standard-landlord-guidance-documents

I suppose you can move elsewhere but it translates to forced compliance with and payment for [by sitting tenants] of a green/global warming agenda .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Trying to pm the op, but still listed as a new member after 700plus posts?

Yeas, I don't know what is going on - I used to be able to edit my posts and contact people and nowadays if I start a thread like this it takes days to be approved. Have tried contacting Mods to sort out but no joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, this whole 'not British' thing is ridiculous. EPCs might be divisive for some but this is just a wider reflection of a general attitude of landlords and letting agents that they are above the law and/or that they are ignorant of law and feel no need to keep abreast of it. Some are just stupid. The wider problems such as dodgy electrics, gas, overcrowding, non-deposit protection, physical threats and illegal evictions and other tenant afflictions are all often co-morbid with the same agents/landlords that can't be bothered with an EPC. I know of someone who is blissfully unaware that as a landlord they need to protect deposit, have an EPC and be part of a selective licensing scheme. They are just too busy raking in the money to have time to keep up or indeed care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2018 at 12:14, Longtermrenter said:

Saw this:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-68114953.html

Now withdrawn from Rightmove but brochure still available. Spoke to the agent http://laingbennett.co.uk/ and asked if it had an exemption as the EPC was a G rating. She told me it didn't. I reminded her it was illegal to let a property with a rating below E and she told me in tenancies manner that I was incorrect and the law had not come into force yet. 

 

1

when did it come into force and for what tenancies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Are EPC ratings as low as that even physically possible?? It claims to have double glazing, even though it's got the less efficient electric heating.  The walls must be built of single thickness tissue paper.  Alternatively, it could be a data entry error, or placeholder figures put there while the EPC inspection is awaited?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

37 minutes ago, Dyson Fury said:

Are EPC ratings as low as that even physically possible?? It claims to have double glazing, even though it's got the less efficient electric heating.  The walls must be built of single thickness tissue paper.  Alternatively, it could be a data entry error, or placeholder figures put there while the EPC inspection is awaited?

The lack of EPCs for other properties they are letting suggests possibly otherwise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's probably got no loft insulation, together with storage heaters and solid (no cavity) walls.  The front window is double glazed, but the door and surrounding window isn't - they're the original wooden rubbish.  It's the sort of place that would never be warm, you'd have to huddle in a ball with a blanket over you.

This is exactly the sort of place that these rules are designed to target, nobody should have to live in places like this.  It needs some serious money spending on it, if the landlord's not capable then they need to be forced into selling it to someone who can.

Well done to LTR for taking the time to report them, a worthy thing to do that I'm sure 99% of people agree with.  Everyone looking to rent should do the same with any they encounter too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longtermrenter said:

I can't even re-apply in upgrade requests - it is greyed out as an option. 

You're still listed as a New Member.

I think there is a separate thread, possibly in a different part of the site, to request an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, prozac said:

Not very British 

I'm assuming you're joking?

If not, it's not very British to rent out substandard properties to exploit poor and vulnerable tenants and dodge your legal duties (unless you consider Peter Rachman, a British icon to be aspired to)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longtermrenter said:

By the way, this whole 'not British' thing is ridiculous. EPCs might be divisive for some but this is just a wider reflection of a general attitude of landlords and letting agents that they are above the law and/or that they are ignorant of law and feel no need to keep abreast of it. Some are just stupid. The wider problems such as dodgy electrics, gas, overcrowding, non-deposit protection, physical threats and illegal evictions and other tenant afflictions are all often co-morbid with the same agents/landlords that can't be bothered with an EPC. I know of someone who is blissfully unaware that as a landlord they need to protect deposit, have an EPC and be part of a selective licensing scheme. They are just too busy raking in the money to have time to keep up or indeed care.

So why not report them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 244 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.