House Price Crash Forum
prozac

Soros : Hero or Villain

What is your opinion of George Soros, a hero or the anti-christ

George Soros, The Anti-Christ, or Just His Right-hand Man?

This is Frank Gaffney with the Secure Freedom Minute.

Is George Soros the anti-Christ?  While former New York mayor Rudi Giuliani has put the question in play, theologians may be better equipped to debate it than politicians.

The decades-long record of this billionaire financier and philanthropist, however, is one of such malevolence and destruction that he must at a minimum be considered the anti-Christ’s right-hand man.

https://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/2018/10/11/george-soros-the-anti-christ-or-just-his-right-hand-man/

I'd say The Alchemy of Finance is worth a read. He's a bit sad in a way, you can see him try to kill the father in Freudian terms, Karl Popper in this case, and fail abjectly. It's mainly unfortunate that Popper's legacy has been tainted by the Soros vision of the Open Society.

So we have a link in there to "AmericanEvangelicals". To everyone taking them as a reference, I would first and foremost recommend to repent and worry about the rapture.

Meanwhile, everyone else could lead a rational discussion about Soros. "The Soros Lectures",

as a book: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiC86KshJzeAhXnoYsKHT7mAv0QFjAAegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.de%2FSoros-Lectures-Central-European-University%2Fdp%2F1586488856&usg=AOvVaw2VJUwn87TsUWQ-C2PpnMl6

on Youtube: https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/multimedia/george-soros-open-society-financial-crisis-and-way-ahead

would be a good starting point to learn about his thinking.

43 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

I'd say The Alchemy of Finance is worth a read. He's a bit sad in a way, you can see him try to kill the father in Freudian terms, Karl Popper in this case, and fail abjectly. It's mainly unfortunate that Popper's legacy has been tainted by the Soros vision of the Open Society.

He does not question Popper's validity regarding the "hard sciences". His point is, that the "human uncertainty principle" (Soros term) makes testing of hypothesis extremely difficult. You cannot deny that this is an ailment of economic and social sciences. Soros also called it "physics envy", something that Hayek goes on about in his Nobel lecture of 1974. Soros has valid points there, and is by far not the only one with this observation.

EDITed to add reference: https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/1974/hayek/lecture/

Friedrich August von Hayek - Prize Lecture

Lecture to the memory of Alfred Nobel, December 11, 1974
The Pretence of Knowledge

Edited by Silverfinger

34 minutes ago, Silverfinger said:

So we have a link in there to "AmericanEvangelicals". To everyone taking them as a reference, I would first and foremost recommend to repent and worry about the rapture.

Meanwhile, everyone else could lead a rational discussion about Soros. "The Soros Lectures",

as a book: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiC86KshJzeAhXnoYsKHT7mAv0QFjAAegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.de%2FSoros-Lectures-Central-European-University%2Fdp%2F1586488856&usg=AOvVaw2VJUwn87TsUWQ-C2PpnMl6

on Youtube: https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/multimedia/george-soros-open-society-financial-crisis-and-way-ahead

would be a good starting point to learn about his thinking.

i think his actions are more important than his thinking. Whilst there is clear conspiracy exaggeration of his role/(s), his name does pop up behind a lot of dodgy operations.

37 minutes ago, Silverfinger said:

He does not question Popper's validity regarding the "hard sciences". His point is, that the "human uncertainty principle" (Soros term) makes testing of hypothesis extremely difficult. You cannot deny that this is an ailment of economic and social sciences. Soros also called it "physics envy", something that Hayek goes on about in his Nobel lecture of 1974. Soros has valid points there, and is by far not the only one with this observation.

I think behavioural psychology and economics, and Kahneman had already been writing for a decade when The Alchemy of Finance was published, are a better response to the problem of applying the scientific method to human behaviour.

Soros does in fact attempt to undermine Popper's entire theory in that light, and does propose his own mystical synthesis as a replacement. It's fortunate for everyone that he's been completely ignored in that regard.

5 minutes ago, LittlePig said:

Whilst there is clear conspiracy exaggeration of his role/(s), his name does pop up behind a lot of dodgy operations.

He's subject to a disproportionate amount of attention precisely because he's relatively open about his activities. I do think he should have stood for election in the UK though before working on the People's Vote campaign.

Edited by darkmarket

Uses fortune gained from insider dealing to impose his insane utopian views on defenceless native population

You can see why he hasn't been droned by our home grown scum

17 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Uses fortune gained from insider dealing to impose his insane utopian views on defenceless native population

You can see why he hasn't been droned by our home grown scum

Exactly, man with no scruples in how he makes his billions, uses them to arrogantly create a world of NPCs led by a veneer of elites with no scruples.

Can't wait.

54 minutes ago, darkmarket said:

I think behavioural psychology and economics, and Kahneman had already been writing for a decade when The Alchemy of Finance was published, are a better response to the problem of applying the scientific method to human behaviour.

Soros does in fact attempt to undermine Popper's entire theory in that light, and does propose his own mystical synthesis as a replacement. It's fortunate for everyone that he's been completely ignored in that regard.

He's subject to a disproportionate amount of attention precisely because he's relatively open about his activities. I do think he should have stood for election in the UK though before working on the People's Vote campaign.

I think you're doing him something of a disservice. Soros was writing about the fallibility of mechanistic, general equilibrium models in economics long before the GFC. The Alchemy of Finance was originally published in 1987! His criticisms of the Efficient Market Hypothesis have been triumphantly vindicated (in part by Kahneman and Tversky). Eric Beinhocker has written a brilliant paper reconciling Soros' idea of reflexivity with Popperian epistemology (here) arguing persusively that complex reflexive systems should be located at the far right-hand edge of a spectrum of complexity beyond even complex adaptive systems where they present particular challenges to our understanding since we are obliged to model both the external world and ourselves within it simultaneously.

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

I think you're doing him something of a disservice. Soros was writing about the fallibility of mechanistic, general equilibrium models in economics long before the GFC. The Alchemy of Finance was originally published in 1987! His criticisms of the Efficient Market Hypothesis have been triumphantly vindicated (in part by Kahneman and Tversky). Eric Beinhocker has written a brilliant paper reconciling Soros' idea of reflexivity with Popperian epistemology (here) arguing persusively that complex reflexive systems should be located at the far right-hand edge of a spectrum of complexity beyond even complex adaptive systems where they present particular challenges to our understanding since we are obliged to model both the external world and ourselves within it simultaneously.

But Kahneman and Tversky had a decade of insights at that point, and Soros chose to ignore their work and set off on his own, markedly different, approach which attempted to undermine the scientific method. He admits himself he suffers from some kind of messiah complex, though he doesn't say how it undermines his work nor discuss the effects of the self-loathing that would be expected to accompany it.

I haven't read anything by Beinhocker, I'll check that out, thanks.

I took out a mortgage in1992,  at 10.49%. Mr Soros  lined his pockets by shorting the pound when it was pegged against the German mark.The  ERM crisis .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday  .Interest rates went up  up to 15%. This greedy B******  stopped the UK from entering the Euro zone.  He is not a friend of the EU!

He is the 0.1%, his followers are lambs to the slaughter.

Soros doesn't need me or anyone else to defend him and I'm firmly in the camp of those up thread who've expressed negative views on him and his activities.

But consider this; just what would politicians try to, and get away with if the speculators didn't wade in and help themselves as Soros did in 1992? It's greed if you like, I'd almost say it's his duty. If he hadn't, someone else would have.

Surely Lawson and the other assorted lunatics involved are to blame rather than Soros?  

16 hours ago, prozac said:

What is your opinion of George Soros, a hero or the anti-christ

George Soros, The Anti-Christ, or Just His Right-hand Man?

This is Frank Gaffney with the Secure Freedom Minute.

Is George Soros the anti-Christ?  While former New York mayor Rudi Giuliani has put the question in play, theologians may be better equipped to debate it than politicians.

The decades-long record of this billionaire financier and philanthropist, however, is one of such malevolence and destruction that he must at a minimum be considered the anti-Christ’s right-hand man.

https://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/2018/10/11/george-soros-the-anti-christ-or-just-his-right-hand-man/

Enemy of the British people who rinsed us on black Monday of £bns. The fact he looks like my nan, does n't buy him any favours.

18 minutes ago, monkeyman1974 said:

Enemy of the British people who rinsed us on black Monday of £bns. The fact he looks like my nan, does n't buy him any favours.

Wasn’t it about £10b

16 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Soros doesn't need me or anyone else to defend him and I'm firmly in the camp of those up thread who've expressed negative views on him and his activities.

But consider this; just what would politicians try to, and get away with if the speculators didn't wade in and help themselves as Soros did in 1992? It's greed if you like, I'd almost say it's his duty. If he hadn't, someone else would have.

Surely Lawson and the other assorted lunatics involved are to blame rather than Soros?  

The responsibility lies entirely with Lawson, Major and Lamont.

1. They falsely assumed the UK economy could compete on equal terms with the German economy (when UK inflation was 3x as great).

2. They pushed sterling into the ERM at far too high a rate, at the behest of the City.

Soros correctly identified this inefficiency and sought to exploit it at considerable personal risk.

10 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The responsibility lies entirely with Lawson, Major and Lamont.

1. They falsely assumed the UK economy could compete on equal terms with the German economy (when UK inflation was 3x as great).

2. They pushed sterling into the ERM at far too high a rate, at the behest of the City.

Soros correctly identified this inefficiency and sought to exploit it at considerable personal risk.

Thanks for analysing it so much better than I.

And now for a proud boast. I was at a firm's meeting in August 92 to discuss and prepare answers to a huge (for the company) tender. We got to a question which asked what currency we would invoice in. The head honcho said sterling and no need to discuss given the ERM arrangement.

I said whoa, shouldn't we at least give it some thought? No, we shouldn't so I left it that I didn't agree and nobody in their right mind would ever believe anything a politician says. The nearest he came to talking sense was when he replied that we shouldn't try to be Forex dealers.

When the crunch came a few weeks later some people, well three in fact, came up to me and asked how I knew. I said I'd seen a similar scenario before, in 1967.

They fired me a couple of weeks later LOL, though that was because they were running out of cash, and confidence after "Black Wednesday". 

18 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Thanks for analysing it so much better than I.

And now for a proud boast. I was at a firm's meeting in August 92 to discuss and prepare answers to a huge (for the company) tender. We got to a question which asked what currency we would invoice in. The head honcho said sterling and no need to discuss given the ERM arrangement.

I said whoa, shouldn't we at least give it some thought? No, we shouldn't so I left it that I didn't agree and nobody in their right mind would ever believe anything a politician says. The nearest he came to talking sense was when he replied that we shouldn't try to be Forex dealers.

When the crunch came a few weeks later some people, well three in fact, came up to me and asked how I knew. I said I'd seen a similar scenario before, in 1967.

They fired me a couple of weeks later LOL, though that was because they were running out of cash, and confidence after "Black Wednesday". 

They sacked you because you were more intelligent than the boss

i have this on good authority 

38 minutes ago, prozac said:

They sacked you because you were more intelligent than the boss

i have this on good authority 

Thank you but not so; he was a world leading expert in his field. But not so clued up on politicians, evidently.

25 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Thank you but not so; he was a world leading expert in his field. But not so clued up on politicians, evidently.

You need to build up your confidence 

NLP

1 hour ago, fru-gal said:

Nasty, immoral and arrogant piece of work who seemed to be so nonchalant about helping confiscate property from Jews during the holocaust. 

I think youll find hes an Hungarian Jew 

49 minutes ago, hughjass said:

I think youll find hes an Hungarian Jew 

They are not mutually exclusive options