House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
No One

[FT] Whistleblowing campaign reveals scale of UK price fixing

A campaign to encourage more whistleblowers to expose illegal cartels has revealed that large numbers of companies have no idea about the laws on price fixing and rigging contracts.

Then later

Last September, the competition watchdog fined five estate agents in south-west England a total of £370,000 for secretly agreeing to set minimum commission rates for residential property sales

Somehow I am not surprised it was the estate agent industry.

ARTICLE BEHIND PAYWALL

Edited by No One

Hardly a surprise. Estate Agents are everywhere an oligopoly and tens to work in physically close proximity to one other. Perfect conditions for price fixing.

The fact that commission rates have not fallen should be evidence enough, even though house prices rose. 

Hardly surprising that Purple Bricks is expanding quickly. 

14 hours ago, Ah-so said:

Hardly surprising that Purple Bricks is expanding quickly. 

It can't grow quickly enough. I don't understand why this system didn't exist before?

Idealista is the Spanish equivalent, been in existence for years, it's like rightmove but you can post as an individual.

15 minutes ago, No One said:

It can't grow quickly enough. I don't understand why this system didn't exist before?

Idealista is the Spanish equivalent, been in existence for years, it's like rightmove but you can post as an individual.

I have heard we have a requirement that our advertised houses must have their room sizes accurately measured thus making self advertising harder.  But don't quote me on it.

When the UKGOV takes a lead with a long list of morally repugnant policies to inflate the price of housing it is hardly surprising that EA's follow their lead by having low standards...