House Price Crash Forum
nightowl

Sudden biometric passport problems in UK only

Has anyone else heard of this or indeed know why......

I have done a lot of international travel for work and the odd holiday too the last few years and my  biometric passport has worked flawlessly everywhere.  

However, in the last few months it consistently fails at LHR despite still working perfectly in every other countries electronic gates.  Many other annoyed individuals in the queue report the same, many not UK nationals too judging by the native swear words  they mutter!

Whats up suddenly?  Is a post windrush issue? IT supplier problem? Just LHR? Anyone know anything?

I have not noticed that.  I use my passport about once a month at Birmingham airport, it works well, I would actually say the system is getting better over time.  Maybe the more it records my face, the better it becomes.

One point, do you stand exactly where the foot marks are on the ground? I have noticed that makes a difference when I have had problems in the past.

Also used at London City once this year, and it was fine.

8 minutes ago, reddog said:

I have not noticed that.  I use my passport about once a month at Birmingham airport, it works well, I would actually say the system is getting better over time.  Maybe the more it records my face, the better it becomes.

One point, do you stand exactly where the foot marks are on the ground? I have noticed that makes a difference when I have had problems in the past.

It maybe an LHR issue but is appears not even get to the camera stage as it seems either not to read the passport number, bio info or maybe cant identify me from a central database or something 🤔  The same passport work perfectly everywhere else and is undamaged.  It not like I stand different at LHR or hold the passport differently suddenly.  Ummm.

Edited by nightowl

9 hours ago, nightowl said:

Has anyone else heard of this or indeed know why......

I have done a lot of international travel for work and the odd holiday too the last few years and my  biometric passport has worked flawlessly everywhere.  

However, in the last few months it consistently fails at LHR despite still working perfectly in every other countries electronic gates.  Many other annoyed individuals in the queue report the same, many not UK nationals too judging by the native swear words  they mutter!

Whats up suddenly?  Is a post windrush issue? IT supplier problem? Just LHR? Anyone know anything?

probably because LHR biometric gates are now quite old, by comparison to a lot of the other airports.Just not as good at picking up/processing data as the latest ones.

On 18/10/2018 at 12:44, reddog said:

I feel similar. The more you use it the easier it gets. People who I go though with who use it less frequently it seems to take longer.

Maybe that's because I have found a formula to present it that I sub conciously use each time that works well. I don't know.

If maybe you have changed something about your appearance (beard, glasses, hair) maybe that causes some issues. I know they recommend taking your glasses off. I seem to remember reading somewhere that PD is one of the measurements.

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 17:51, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I feel similar. The more you use it the easier it gets. People who I go though with who use it less frequently it seems to take longer.

Maybe that's because I have found a formula to present it that I sub conciously use each time that works well. I don't know.

If maybe you have changed something about your appearance (beard, glasses, hair) maybe that causes some issues. I know they recommend taking your glasses off. I seem to remember reading somewhere that PD is one of the measurements.

PD?

really?

(diameter of P)

Funny thing is I haven't changed my appearance or wear glasses anyway...unless maybe the odd extra grey hair is throwing it but I doubt that I'm reality!  Machines everywhere else I travel in Europe have not problems which keeps pointing the blame at LHR ones. A mystery....

On 18/10/2018 at 12:32, nightowl said:

Preparing for Brexit no doubt!