House Price Crash Forum

Climate breakdown and housing strategy

HOLA441
2 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Children treated for sunburn as UK bakes on year’s hottest weekend

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/18/children-treated-for-sunburn-as-uk-bakes-on-years-hottest-weekend

I sold at a boot sale in Wales today, parked in the shade of trees. Most sellers were parked without shade.

My van temp gauge said 35 degrees which if accurate was near the max ever temp in Wales 

buyers walking around many without hats, many in vests with burnt shoulders, felt sorry for the kids. 

Will they never learn 

Number of dog owning friends (usually climate change deniers at my age) who seem to have had that part of their brain removed as well.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/protect-kids-from-skin-cancer.h29-1591413.html

Just one or two blistering sunburns double your child’s lifetime risk for melanoma.

Good friend of my daughter was diagnosed with skin cancer last week. She's 55 and a uni lecturer who was very much in the "climate change is a hoax" camp (mainly because she felt other areas of the sciences were being neglected tbf).

Apparently the incidence of skin cancer in the UK has more than doubled this past 30 years (tripled in the case of men).

HOLA446
5 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Good friend of my daughter was diagnosed with skin cancer last week. She's 55 and a uni lecturer who was very much in the "climate change is a hoax" camp (mainly because she felt other areas of the sciences were being neglected tbf).

Apparently the incidence of skin cancer in the UK has more than doubled this past 30 years (tripled in the case of men).

More likely linked to the democratisation of tourism than climate change in the UK

HOLA447
HOLA448

Next week will be only the 2nd time BCP has had a mediteranean climate for more than 4 days this year and you can now swim in the sea without freezing to death, I had my first dip of the year during the last heat wave in mid June normally I have to wait until early July so signs of the sea warming a little (I have lived here for 23 yrs). 

Noticed the sea was noticeably warmer this weekend maybe global warming and if so if the big cities get too hot expect more people to move to the coast or install air con in their homes.  

Edited by coypondboy

HOLA449
14 hours ago, coypondboy said:

Noticed the sea was noticeably warmer this weekend maybe global warming and if so if the big cities get too hot expect more people to move to the coast or install air con in their homes.  

Air con is going to be a huge business.

HOLA4410
17 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Air con is going to be a huge business.

Air con consumes vast amounts of energy, and dumps heat outside the building, heating the local area and making matters worse.  I hope that the UK promotes passive cooling techniques for domestic housing. 

However, using a heat pump that can provide heating in winter has some advantages, but the economics are dependent upon the thermal characteristics of the house.

Also the refrigerants are gases that add to the greenhouse effect, although not as much as older CFC that damaged the ozone layer thus increasing UV levels and potentially increasing skin cancer.

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

Air con consumes vast amounts of energy, and dumps heat outside the building, heating the local area and making matters worse.  I hope that the UK promotes passive cooling techniques for domestic housing. 

However, using a heat pump that can provide heating in winter has some advantages, but the economics are dependent upon the thermal characteristics of the house.

Also the refrigerants are gases that add to the greenhouse effect, although not as much as older CFC that damaged the ozone layer thus increasing UV levels and potentially increasing skin cancer.

Surely air con would be powered by solar?

Have a place on Crete and the sun heats both water and powers our air con out there.

HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, skinnylattej said:

Oh yep I never said it was a good thing (in the same way that people trumpet water desalinisation as a 'fix'). The UK will absolutely not bother with passive cooling techniques, nor will the govt mandate better building standards for cooling (shaded or shuttered windows, verandahs etc). It's too onerous for their bosses, the developers, and would impact developers' profits. It's more likely the developers will ensure govt starts another taxpayer funded subsidy scheme for retrofitting some ugly and overpriced third party products. 

It's all just moving deckchairs on the Titanic IMO. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
20 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Mate, if you're letting hot air in from the hot side the house is going to be the same temp as outside.

Trust me, I've lived in HOT places (+40 on the reg). 

Meanwhile: Emissions will hit record high by 2023 if green recovery fails, says IEA

blinds and curtains down on the hot side, south/west side.....dark but cooler air.....open up when sun goes down.....breeze through on the north and east side in the afternoons......common sense you do not allow an already hot home to become a greenhouse.;)

HOLA4419
23 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

So we'll get told we've got to do more and more here, a country where they've been going down for years (the UK being fairly low down on emissions per capita, so would be even better if it wasn't stupidly overpopulated, although very pro-nuclear France is lower), because other places are rapidly going in the opposite direction no doubt.

HOLA4420
15 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

So we'll get told we've got to do more and more here, a country where they've been going down for years (the UK being fairly low down on emissions per capita, so would be even better if it wasn't stupidly overpopulated, although very pro-nuclear France is lower), because other places are rapidly going in the opposite direction no doubt.

Our emissions have been going down because we've exported them :D https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/16/britain-climate-efforts-undermined-failure-imports-carbon

Blame game doesn't really work in a closed system like the earth. Like how we hate the conflicts in the middle east but still sell arms. 

The main thing IMO is to confront the knowledge head on. No more obfuscating and pretending a magical ice age is going to fix everything. 

Here's the next property boom spot: https://www.norden.org/en/info-norden/housing-greenland

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

Our emissions have been going down because we've exported them :D https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/16/britain-climate-efforts-undermined-failure-imports-carbon

Blame game doesn't really work in a closed system like the earth. Like how we hate the conflicts in the middle east but still sell arms. 

The main thing IMO is to confront the knowledge head on. No more obfuscating and pretending a magical ice age is going to fix everything. 

Here's the next property boom spot: https://www.norden.org/en/info-norden/housing-greenland

It's not "blame game" to concentrate on the wrong places. It's a fair point about exporting them though.

Funny how there's never anything much mentioned about concrete in the debate - got to keep building more depressing crap!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Oil over the last forty years is the cause of our rapid growth, gas and coal and lumber.....fosil fuels.....fuel, heating and cooling, cooking plastics, clothing, and fertilizer etc.

Peak oil...costing more money and energy to extract it......sun and wind will not be able to replace it, using same energy we use today that oil provides.......once the oil is not so available the climate will naturally start to recover, growth will decline, human population will also decline.;)

HOLA4425
Just now, Riedquat said:

It's not "blame game" to concentrate on the wrong places. It's a fair point about exporting them though.

Funny how there's never anything much mentioned about concrete in the debate - got to keep building more depressing crap!

Concrete, yes, easily ignored despite being a huge factor. And all those heavy diesel vehicles hauling around building materials, let's just ignore those and talk about Teslas. 

When I say blame game I mean that if we point a finger at China, what does it really achieve other than to normalise not taking responsibility for ourselves? It allows other big emitters to do the same, to pretend that as long as they can find someone worse then they don't need to change. It's just doesn't fix anything. 

5 minutes ago, Quicken said:

I think the push to do more will come because of things like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/19/met-office-issues-first-ever-extreme-heat-warning-uk

I'd like to think so but the moment the heatwave is over it'll get forgotten. Now if some MPs holiday homes are underwater, or their estates are burning...

3 minutes ago, winkie said:

Oil over the last forty years is the cause of our rapid growth, gas and coal and lumber.....fosil fuels.....fuel, heating and cooling, cooking plastics, clothing, and fertilizer etc.

Peak oil...costing more money and energy to extract it......sun and wind will not be able to replace it, using same energy we use today that oil provides.......once the oil is not so available the climate will naturally start to recover, growth will decline, human population will also decline.;)

It's good to be positive, but the climate chaos we're experiencing now is the result of the atmospheric carbon released in the 70s. There's a huge lag time. So by the time 'peak oil' makes any difference, it'll be the latter half of this century. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-17/bp-sees-peak-oil-even-without-major-new-laws-on-climate-change

Under BP’s business-as-usual scenario, peak demand doesn’t mean a dramatic demand drop-off by 2050. The other two scenarios are far more drastic in this regard.

Calling the Top

Global oil demand in three scenarios