House Price Crash Forum

UK earnings growth accelerates

HOLA441
2 hours ago, nightowl said:

The only problem is if wages of skilled workers rise the government will be lobbied to open the immigration to keep these under control especially in a post Brexit environment.

Richard Dyson is already very publicly asking for this. 

Doubt this will be an issue. People from abroad are not coming here to chase the money any more (not in skilled jobs at least - if they want to play the benefit game that’s different). The ones that tech employers want - well they know full well that UK wages aren’t very good and they want proper money. Skilled wages will need to go up at least 50% in real terms for this place to be attractive for decent talent.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 hours ago, nightowl said:

The only problem is if wages of skilled workers rise the government will be lobbied to open the immigration to keep these under control especially in a post Brexit environment.

Richard Dyson is already very publicly asking for this. 

What a *****, anything but paying wages for engineers, like ford did.

HOLA443
HOLA444
16 minutes ago, No One said:

At about 4:14 is of interest but other bits too. 

The scarecrow guy who runs Plimico plumbers want no brexit so he has access to EE pumbers, and RDs pitch is brexit will allow non-EU engineers to come in where they wont be so concerned or simply naive about the wage/living cost ratios here.

I am torn what to make of RD now as he is at least trying to use technology and styling to make an iconic product (genuine innovation rather than financial jiggery-pokery-innovation)  in the UK yet says what he does.

Edited by nightowl

HOLA445
11 minutes ago, nightowl said:

At about 4:14 is of interest but other bits too. 

The scarecrow guy who runs Plimico plumbers want no brexit so he has access to EE pumbers, and RDs pitch is brexit will allow non-EU engineers to come in where they wont be so concerned or simply naive about the wage/living cost ratios here.

I am torn what to make of RD now as he is at least trying to use technology and styling to make an iconic product (genuine innovation rather than financial jiggery-pokery-innovation)  in the UK yet says what he does.

Hmmm, IDK.

What are Dysons wages/rates and what are prices like in Bath and surrounding areas?

HOLA446
47 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Doubt this will be an issue. People from abroad are not coming here to chase the money any more (not in skilled jobs at least.

where i am working (Skilled), 7 UK, 9 EU, 3 originally ROW, probably citizens now. Minority group us english. Lol 

HOLA447
Just now, NoGo said:

where i am working (Skilled), 7 UK, 9 EU, 3 originally ROW, probably citizens now. Minority group us english. Lol 

I'm not form the UK, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't agree with he principle that locals ought to come first.

In Cyprus, prior to eu accession, the law stated that 50% of the workforce of any company had to be Cypriot.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

If I was considering an unusual location (eg Malmsbury) for a skilled job and buying (not renting), I would also need to consider house prices but also what other jobs can I do there if this one falls through?

I expect JD wont complain if an increase in supply of employees drops this to £28K is going to worry him.

Edited by nightowl

HOLA4411

Around 3 decades ago I encountered a Dyson product for the first time. It was the Ballbarrow, anyone recall it?

The idea was great, obvious but nobody had thought of it before , (I assume) so 10/10 for design. 

Then I saw the remains of one in a friend's garage. The metal had rusted and the plastic had become brittle, cracked and broken.  Ok not meant to last forever but rusty metal on a garden implement?  Come on.

I've never bought anything from Dyson and doubt I ever will. Couple of years later I saw two of his Hoovers in a skip outside a well to do property. My mate went in and asked could he have some spares off of them, they said yes. 

This was not that recent so hopefully he has found out how to make stuff as well as he designs it. Better than amateur landlording I suppose.

HOLA4412
6 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Around 3 decades ago I encountered a Dyson product for the first time. It was the Ballbarrow, anyone recall it?

The idea was great, obvious but nobody had thought of it before , (I assume) so 10/10 for design. 

Then I saw the remains of one in a friend's garage. The metal had rusted and the plastic had become brittle, cracked and broken.  Ok not meant to last forever but rusty metal on a garden implement?  Come on.

I've never bought anything from Dyson and doubt I ever will. Couple of years later I saw two of his Hoovers in a skip outside a well to do property. My mate went in and asked could he have some spares off of them, they said yes. 

This was not that recent so hopefully he has found out how to make stuff as well as he designs it. Better than amateur landlording I suppose.

Often find Dyson cleaners thrown away or being given away....gone for the next upgrade £250 + a pop, the hair dryer is one I can't get my head around......one persons loss is another persons gain.....more expensive does not necessarily mean better, wish his company well they have a certain customer to target.;)

HOLA4413

Our office cleaners swear by their trusty Henrys - but who at their design HQ thought lets put a smiley face on it so it looks like a lego man's head on wheels?  ?

2 hours ago, No One said:

Anyway, back on topic...... I dont know how long the spiral downwards can continue - everyone earns less but many discrentionary things are cheaper to balance it out.  Maybe economic nationalism (as Steve Bannon describes it) is a way out where everything costs more (as they cant be imported cheaper anymore) but people have jobs to afford them at least.

Afterall, would you rather be a penniless beggar looking longingly into a 99p store or better paid person wandering around John Lewis moaning about the prices?

HOLA4414
18 minutes ago, nightowl said:

Our office cleaners swear by their trusty Henrys - but who at their design HQ thought lets put a smiley face on it so it looks like a lego man's head on wheels?  ?

Anyway, back on topic...... I dont know how long the spiral downwards can continue - everyone earns less but many discrentionary things are cheaper to balance it out.  Maybe economic nationalism (as Steve Bannon describes it) is a way out where everything costs more (as they cant be imported cheaper anymore) but people have jobs to afford them at least.

Afterall, would you rather be a penniless beggar looking longingly into a 99p store or better paid person wandering around John Lewis moaning about the prices?

i prefer to look on gumtree other than food clothes beds and sofas 2nd hand is always the best value as there are plenty who do not value money and willing to sell cheap. 

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, nightowl said:

Maybe economic nationalism, or a return to fordism. 

Either way, there is a chart out there showing productivity vs time with wages vs time, and they are basically in sync until the 80's, where pay goes flat and productivity continues going g up.

this cant continue

HOLA4416
9 minutes ago, No One said:

Either way, there is a chart out there showing productivity vs time with wages vs time, and they are basically in sync until the 80's, where pay goes flat and productivity continues going g up.

I believe it has something to with immigration, especially from the EU. There was a time when the UK was a better option for many. I meant to say earlier in regard to this

4 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

Doubt this will be an issue. People from abroad are not coming here to chase the money any more (not in skilled jobs at least - if they want to play the benefit game that’s different). The ones that tech employers want - well they know full well that UK wages aren’t very good and they want proper money. Skilled wages will need to go up at least 50% in real terms for this place to be attractive for decent talent.  

No there may not be a rush of people coming any more, but we are pretty saturated now, certainly in terms of skilled employment. Over the last 10 years, everywhere I have worked has been at least even with non uk people. I like the guys I work with, Im not running anybody down, but they were cheap when they came here looking for work. BUT, they are now on the UK treadmill, and many are settled, many are home owners, many been here years, if not decades, so now these people cant afford to be cheap either. It might push wages up, or it might just encourage the next entourage of needed workers, who are not from the EU. 

Following the other discussion about synthetic employed, this is the only way a UK worker (where ever he comes from) can earn decent money now days.

And of the colleagues who have left to 'go back home' it has nothing to do with Brexit. Its more a case of the hiring companies have set up in Poland, Hungry etc. Now they can return, skilled, wealthy, and stepping of the ship thats floundering, and taking on water rapidly.

Woohoo.

Sorry, not wanting to patronise anyone from another country who works here, I cant read your mind. Just my experience and knowledge gathered from talking from colleagues.

HOLA4417
4 hours ago, No One said:

Hmmm, IDK.

What are Dysons wages/rates and what are prices like in Bath and surrounding areas?

His wages weren't great when I applied last year. Bath prices are about cambridgeshire but the wages were only 2/3 of them up here. the cheeky b*gger can ruddy well offer realistic wages before importing more labour

HOLA4418
7 hours ago, longgone said:

i prefer to look on gumtree other than food clothes beds and sofas 2nd hand is always the best value as there are plenty who do not value money and willing to sell cheap. 

I have just bought a cross trainer on Gumtree from a middle class lady.£350 really good model,,perfect condition,£50.I buy almost everything on there or Facebook marketplace.Its one of the reasons i have a cheap van,to pick stuff up.The knack is check on a morning and fire off a text to each seller offering just over half what they want and can collect today,someone always bites.

HOLA4419
10 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

Yes, that is exactly the case. Though people need to be prepared to walk and getting a new job - but if you have a good LinkedIn profile the recruiters will do it for you.

Definitely the case in tech, but also in medicine. One of my neighbours is a GP and also has surgical skills, he is on a GP's salary here, so I am guessing up to £140k, but in Canada they'd offer $400k for the same role - he'd move if it wasn't for the family ties. 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
20 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

I've never bought anything from Dyson and doubt I ever will. Couple of years later I saw two of his Hoovers in a skip outside a well to do property.

We can't let go of that brand name can we!  I've never owned a Hoover we have an ageing Dyson, but my two young kids know it as the 'hoover'...

HOLA4422
19 hours ago, nightowl said:

I always assumed they were a bit crap because of the smiley face and old design - but when I started looking for a spare vacuum cleaner that could cope with house renovations - i.e sucking up rubble, plaster, plaster dust and all sorts of crap reliably - Most people recommended a Henry - British design and they are simple and bombproof, got a second hand one and it has stood up to all sorts of abuse, and barely changed a bag in years.

HOLA4423
13 hours ago, durhamborn said:

I have just bought a cross trainer on Gumtree from a middle class lady.£350 really good model,,perfect condition,£50.I buy almost everything on there or Facebook marketplace.Its one of the reasons i have a cheap van,to pick stuff up.The knack is check on a morning and fire off a text to each seller offering just over half what they want and can collect today,someone always bites.

i have made a small living out of people like this for the last 7 years although i buy broken things to repair and sell on and what ever else i can turn a bob or two on as well . ebay is good as they have 10% off days most weeks so i send an offer and then get more off and resell is only £1 final value fee when i sell. i used to do this even when i was working as i does not take up much time. 

gym stuff is dirt cheap as people start with good intentions and then give up and as the equipment takes up so much space they want rid of it. 

brand new kettler multi gym £150 rrp £500 hardly used treadmill £70 rrp £500 olympic weights set all cast iron £100  rrp £350

i fancy a water or air rower next. 

HOLA4424
13 hours ago, durhamborn said:

i paid £25 yes £25 for one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-MFC-9340CDW-Wireless-Connected-Printing/dp/B00CN5KMF8

all because the yellow toner was low and it took up too much desk space ?

There is a engineering code to reset the levels of the toner back to zero  so you can print a few more hundred pages with the same supposedly worn out toners another environmental scam. Replica replacements are only £20 for a full set. 

HOLA4425
20 hours ago, NoGo said:

Sorry, not wanting to patronise anyone from another country who works here, I cant read your mind. Just my experience and knowledge gathered from talking from colleagues.

no offence taken, what you say is factually true