House Price Crash Forum
Quicken

Hammond plans tax crackdown on 'synthetic self-employed'

2 hours ago, Locke said:

Ah, I see. Well firstly, I would't want to be in charge of dictating anyone else's life, but if I were in charge of the Mafia, government, I would abolish all welfare first, reform the tax code to a flat level, retaining the tax-free threshold and spend some of the saving reinforcing the police force to keep the peace during the transition.

But look, if I managed to get in on this platform (which is totally impossible in the current social climate), presumably, some majority of the population would also understand that the initiation of violence is always evil and so we wouldn't need anywhere near as much government intervention.

But in that scenario there is still taxation. So you have to grant that some taxation is necessary.

20 hours ago, Locke said:

Simply stating that government is ideal appeals only to the runtime routines in NPC minds.

Even NPC's are smarter than Loki, 

11 minutes ago, No One said:

But in that scenario there is still taxation. So you have to grant that some taxation is necessary.

I would't want to be in charge of dictating anyone else's life

9 minutes ago, No One said:

Even NPC's are smarter than Loki

I dunno man, he's pretty smart.

Edited by Locke

26 minutes ago, No One said:

On that we agree.

Actually I don't think that you are mentally equipped to make that judgement. 

On 10/11/2018 at 5:48 PM, disenfranchised said:

Yes, you pay that for a true consultant & then some.

Not, however, for the 22-28 year old grads on the bottom tier they load into major projects as Analysts, workstream leads, PMO staff etc... these days.

You pay 600-800 for them, then they get sat alongside permies & independent contractors 35-55 years old on 450-650 a day who effectively end up coaching and mentoring them - the poor sap company who has hired both pays twice for them to learn on the job, then the consultancy firm rents the 27-35 year olds back to them on an elevated rate 

There are 4 tiers to most big consultant firms in my experience: 

Senior leaders, 2000+ a day

Consultants capable of leading major programmes, 1500-2500 a day 

Workstream leads etc... equivalent to decent contractors on half this rate -  1000-1500 a day

20 something "project grunts", 600-800 a day

The real profits come from getting a dozen of the latter assigned and paying them 40-50k as there are far more of them than anything else. One of my friends is an exceptionally bright Polish grad who lives in Warsaw. She is about 25 and works for a big consultancy. They fly her into Switzerland & London to work. They charge 800 quid a day for her, and only pay her enough for her to take home about a grand a month in Poland. 

It's anybody's guess where the profits go, but I do know the US Government have banned themselves from using Accenture as they are registered offshore in Bermuda!

Unfortunately, this is how these firms work.

Although, I have never met a single of these consultants who are bright. I have worked with top tier first class Oxbridge grads and none have been worth the money. 

I thought it was pretty well acknowledged that consultants are employed as a means for inept management to blame things when the management plans plans don't work.

One group of consultants I was know cumulatively charged >1M for a cost saving exercise and there top suggestion was to use second class instead of first class post! 

The amount of this consultant fraud going on in the public sector is shocking.

The only consultants that have been decent have been individuals that have had >20 years experience in that sector

42 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

Actually I don't think that you are mentally equipped to make that judgement. 

My judgement puts me in a better financial decision than you ;)

On 16/10/2018 at 12:06, Locke said:

I dunno man, he's pretty smart.

@Locke hey loki, you gave me an idea, 

Im going to make HPC memes, only the freshest OC. Will keep you posted