Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
neon tetra

RICS October -2%

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, neon tetra said:

I would have despaired if this had still remained positive after all of the negative stories. This is a leading indicator, so fingers crossed this will transform into some falls.

Brexit’s fault, so say the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/oct/11/brexit-uncertainty-taking-toll-property-market-rics-research

...which is good, because it will become a self-fulfilling downward spiral. Hopefully.

Note that the Guardian has started controlling commenting on far more articles like this recently. 

They published a feminist opinion piece on the US Supreme Court shenanigans recently about how appointing Kavannagh would be an affront to females everywhere because a woman who looks like he might have birthed Garth from Wayne's World was dragged into a Senate hearing to say he groped her in 1982. Hashtag me2 hashtag believeher.

The Guardian accidentally enabled commenting. It got a handful of comments saying "it is ridiculous to determine the appointment of a public servant based on unproven allegation of teenage misconduct never reported as a crime" which got hundreds of upvotes, then a little note appears saying "we enabled commenting in error and have deactivated it"

Huge amount of "message management" going on at the Guardian these days. Brexit is evil. Logic is evil. White men are evil. Etc... etc... ad infinitum to total tedium - and you are no longer allowed to disagree as rationality and a sense of proportion actually wins the middle class internet battles more often than not, and they don't like that at all.

Edited by disenfranchised

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, disenfranchised said:

Note that the Guardian has started controlling commenting on far more articles like this recently. 

They published a feminist opinion piece on the US Supreme Court shenanigans recently about how appointing Kavannagh would be an affront to females everywhere because a woman who looks like he might have birthed Garth from Wayne's World was dragged into a Senate hearing to say he groped her in 1982. Hashtag me2 hashtag believeher.

The Guardian accidentally enabled commenting. It got a handful of comments saying "it is ridiculous to determine the appointment of a public servant based on unproven allegation of teenage misconduct never reported as a crime" which got hundreds of upvotes, then a little note appears saying "we enabled commenting in error and have deactivated it"

Huge amount of "message management" going on at the Guardian these days. Brexit is evil. Logic is evil. White men are evil. Etc... etc... ad infinitum to total tedium - and you are no longer allowed to disagree as rationality and a sense of proportion  actually wins the internets more often and than not, and they don't like that at all.

Usually the comments section is far more enlightening and thought prevoking on the subject than the journalism. Sorry blog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nightowl said:

Usually the comments section is far more enlightening and thought prevoking on the subject than the journalism. Sorry blog.

Indeed. Can't possibly be allowed! 

I have noticed of late that the tide has gently swung on Brexit articles when commenting is allowed, which means it can't be. 18 months ago it was 7 Telegraph readers trolling the shit out of them and upvoting each other, now rather more people just seem to be saying "the EU are even more useless than the Commons, lets get it over with"

Similarly property articles about price reductions tend to result in the comment section saying "good!" 

You have to wonder if they are failing to put 2+2 together and should actually stop running around screaming "Brexit will put my £550k Pied a Terre in Balham in negative equity!" A pox on you Boris!" If they actually want to garner any serious support for stopping Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Apparently Brexit is having no impact in the north where prices are still rising. Which suggests it has little to do with Brexit and more to do with the crazy insane prices in London and the south east which fewer people are now willing to buy at. When houses in a dump like Dagenham are now going for over half a million quid you know we have reached peak insanity.

Or a relatively ordinary detached house in Oxford for £900,000 ...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76114967.html

No disrespect to the owners, but that could only cost about £200k to build, so is the land really worth £700k?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Warwick-Watcher said:

Or a relatively ordinary detached house in Oxford for £900,000 ...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76114967.html

No disrespect to the owners, but that could only cost about £200k to build, so is the land really worth £700k?

 

Apparently:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-76056557.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, No One said:

God, do I feel that exact same sentiment

20 years renting... 8 years since I settled down, got married and had  kids. I'm just  not waiting another 5 years... I'll be nearer 50 than 40 by then!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ingermany said:

Maybe wait another five years?

Seriously, house prices are just starting to fall. The 1990 crash took around 8 years to bottom out.  It is better to watch prices fall while renting than it is to watch them fall while paying a 95% LTV mortgage. 

In the 1990 crash most the falls were in the first two years. IMO you might as well buy after that big fall (1992-3ish) because at least then you have relieved yourself of being a serf in the landlord feudal system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Warwick-Watcher said:

Or a relatively ordinary detached house in Oxford for £900,000 ...

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76114967.html

No disrespect to the owners, but that could only cost about £200k to build, so is the land really worth £700k?

 

They paid 767 for it in 2013.

Surely they are entitled to 30k per annum?

Nice family home with garden in an close close to good school. 

used to be able to buy one of those on a average salary. Now you need a lotto win.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

Note that the Guardian has started controlling commenting on far more articles like this recently. 

They published a feminist opinion piece on the US Supreme Court shenanigans recently about how appointing Kavannagh would be an affront to females everywhere because a woman who looks like he might have birthed Garth from Wayne's World was dragged into a Senate hearing to say he groped her in 1982. Hashtag me2 hashtag believeher.

The Guardian accidentally enabled commenting. It got a handful of comments saying "it is ridiculous to determine the appointment of a public servant based on unproven allegation of teenage misconduct never reported as a crime" which got hundreds of upvotes, then a little note appears saying "we enabled commenting in error and have deactivated it"

Huge amount of "message management" going on at the Guardian these days. Brexit is evil. Logic is evil. White men are evil. Etc... etc... ad infinitum to total tedium - and you are no longer allowed to disagree as rationality and a sense of proportion actually wins the middle class internet battles more often than not, and they don't like that at all.

The guardian, like wapo, is now overrun with underpaid sjw's. The business is loss maiking for its owners to offset tax for the mother company and to push the owners agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

They paid 767 for it in 2013.

Surely they are entitled to 30k per annum?

Nice family home with garden in an close close to good school. 

used to be able to buy one of those on a average salary. Now you need a lotto win.

 

 

Send that comment to your local mp, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, No One said:

Send that comment to your local mp, 

I have given up writing to MPs...they will reply saying HTB is helping 1,000s of hard working families fulfil their dream of home ownership....and new home completions are higher than last year...blah blah blah...it is almost as if they believe it themselves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wayward said:

I have given up writing to MPs...they will reply saying HTB is helping 1,000s of hard working families fulfil their dream of home ownership....and new home completions are higher than last year...blah blah blah...it is almost as if they believe it themselves...

+1

I've had enough patronising reply letters about housing from comfortably housed MPs to last me a lifetime. If nothing else it's just appalling customer service, someone using up their leisure time to bother making a complaint and all you do is give them a form letter telling them they're wrong and actually everything is brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

Note that the Guardian has started controlling commenting on far more articles like this recently. 

They published a feminist opinion piece on the US Supreme Court shenanigans recently about how appointing Kavannagh would be an affront to females everywhere because a woman who looks like he might have birthed Garth from Wayne's World was dragged into a Senate hearing to say he groped her in 1982. Hashtag me2 hashtag believeher.

The Guardian accidentally enabled commenting. It got a handful of comments saying "it is ridiculous to determine the appointment of a public servant based on unproven allegation of teenage misconduct never reported as a crime" which got hundreds of upvotes, then a little note appears saying "we enabled commenting in error and have deactivated it"

Huge amount of "message management" going on at the Guardian these days. Brexit is evil. Logic is evil. White men are evil. Etc... etc... ad infinitum to total tedium - and you are no longer allowed to disagree as rationality and a sense of proportion actually wins the middle class internet battles more often than not, and they don't like that at all.

 

The so-called 'liberal and progressive' left (in reality, illiberal and regressive) that dominate mainstream media do not tolerate dissenting opinions - ie. Anything which challenges the identity politics/ victim narrative that they cultivate.

Same increasingly goes for social media.  Differing opinions are not only shouted down, they are increasingly 'disappeared' and individuals and organisations that oppose the creeping PC censorship culture are de-platformed and un-personed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 08:35, inbruges said:

Yep, but just not fast enough for my liking

Keep the faith - the trend can only accelerate ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, No One said:

Send that comment to your local mp, 

Whats the point? They dont give two shits.

In their eyes HPI is good for the economy. Renters are offered schemes such as HTB to get a leg on the ponzi. Everyones happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 13:13, Wayward said:

I have given up writing to MPs...they will reply saying HTB is helping 1,000s of hard working families fulfil their dream of home ownership....and new home completions are higher than last year...blah blah blah...it is almost as if they believe it themselves...

 

On 12/10/2018 at 21:54, GreenDevil said:

Whats the point? They dont give two shits.

In their eyes HPI is good for the economy. Renters are offered schemes such as HTB to get a leg on the ponzi. Everyones happy.

Well yes, I fully expect them to come up with trash. That's not the point. The point is MPS see 1 complaint as if it where 100, vote wise. So if a few people make a complaint, the will respond with a canned answer, but the issue will be cascaded up the line to the head honchos who come up with government strategy.

 

This information does make its way up, but it need to be sent. If everyone here sent 1 email, that would have a big effect in terms of swaying opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 16:31, Sour Mash said:

 

The so-called 'liberal and progressive' left (in reality, illiberal and regressive) that dominate mainstream media do not tolerate dissenting opinions - ie. Anything which challenges the identity politics/ victim narrative that they cultivate.

Same increasingly goes for social media.  Differing opinions are not only shouted down, they are increasingly 'disappeared' and individuals and organisations that oppose the creeping PC censorship culture are de-platformed and un-personed.

 

If I had a pound for every time someone said "the democrats are the real racists" or some other derivative, I would have a deposit for a house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, No One said:

 

Well yes, I fully expect them to come up with trash. That's not the point. The point is MPS see 1 complaint as if it where 100, vote wise. So if a few people make a complaint, the will respond with a canned answer, but the issue will be cascaded up the line to the head honchos who come up with government strategy.

 

This information does make its way up, but it need to be sent. If everyone here sent 1 email, that would have a big effect in terms of swaying opinion.

Maybe element of truth in that if enough people bombarded them with letters...but we are a voice in the wilderness.  Look at the on line petitions and the success or otherwise of the petitions against HPI props such as HTB...these petitions go nowhere.

 

Regardless the 'head honchos' build their economic policy around maintaining high land and properly prices...the first duty of the state used to be defence of the realm...that has fallen into second place.  They will cut defence spending and risk military humiliation but they will absolutely do everything in their power to prevent the price of shelter from falling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Next General Election   60 members have voted

    1. 1. When do you predict the next general election will be held?


      • 2019
      • 2020
      • 2021
      • 2022

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.