House Price Crash Forum

Treasury weighing up new help to buy scheme - exempting landlords who sell to their tenants from paying capital gains tax

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, longgone said:

none of these policies help a 40 yo single man with no kids and no rental not even the HTB isa or lifetime isa.   none of the policies make any difference to me. 

only thing that does is higher interest rates so i vote for that. 

You are not a hard working family so sadly the government is not interested in you.

If you know of a party that is advocating higher interest rates it would be useful to know - sadly there isn't.

PS where do you live if you don't own or rent? I do think the help to buy isa is at least worth having as if prices fall and you do buy you get the bonus - assuming you have never owned before - and the interest rates are way above those for other instant access isas.

1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

You are not a hard working family so sadly the government is not interested in you.

If you know of a party that is advocating higher interest rates it would be useful to know - sadly there isn't.

PS where do you live if you don't own or rent? I do think the help to buy isa is at least worth having as if prices fall and you do buy you get the bonus - assuming you have never owned before - and the interest rates are way above those for other instant access isas.

i have owned before so i am eligible for nothing. moved back home. 

On 08/10/2018 at 05:55, btl_hater said:

Is this really the best they can come up with. Can’t wait until enough boomer’s have passed on and they are out of government for 20 years.

what a piece of scum you are - so you want your own parents dead? They must be so pleased to have a son like you! 

as your title says you are full of hate - that only affects you the people you hate so much just get on with their lives you are worthless to them

instead of being jealous of others why don't you just get a better job 

On 08/10/2018 at 09:35, Dorkins said:

Where have the Tory fanboys gone? I remember them on here after GE2017 telling us all that the Tories were geniuses for self-reinvention and that they would do whatever they needed to do to win. Is this the great Tory rebirth as the party of homeownership? Tax breaks for landlords?

You can fool the media but you can't fool renters. People know whether they own the roof over their heads or not, and it's front of their mind when they go into that polling boot

I have never voted tory but voting for a party that wants free movement, mass immigration, refugees will not bring lower house prices, it is called supply and demand 

1 hour ago, happyguy said:

I have never voted tory but voting for a party that wants free movement, mass immigration, refugees will not bring lower house prices, it is called supply and demand 

How did the Tories ever get a reputation for sound economic management? That mystifies me as much as anything.

3 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

7 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

How did the Tories ever get a reputation for sound economic management? That mystifies me as much as anything.

Probably because of the economic disaster that has historically beset all Labour Govts with the policy of spend, spend, spend and tax, tax tax,  and a total lack of understanding of business.  I am not a fan of the Tories and have never voted Tory but despair of Coryn and McDonnell  who seem to want to have mass immigration and idleness and students studying worthless degrees paid for me who pays tax.  indeed there is no point working under Labouyr everything will be free.  

36 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Seems they control 'the message', shape the public's mind and rewrite history.

Media Reform Coalition report proves Corbyn’s proposals to change the media are essential.

2 hours ago, happyguy said:

what a piece of scum you are - so you want your own parents dead? They must be so pleased to have a son like you! 

as your title says you are full of hate - that only affects you the people you hate so much just get on with their lives you are worthless to them

Err, his parents could be yougner than boomers.

6 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

Perhaps. But I would argue that the boomer generation was an anomaly and the (longer) normal in the UK is for folk to be renting, or tenants.

I would argue that it will last and institutional land-lording is on the rise.

Sadly... there's not a thing you can do about it in a capitalist system where the politico are heavily invested in the property game.

There is a thing you can do about it, it's called voting. If the current lot don't help you to get some economic security, kick them out. If the next lot also don't help, kick them out. Repeat as many times as it takes. I think this is what general elections will be like for the next 10-12 years, repeated kickings until politicians get the message that they need to stop running the country for the benefit of the banks.

2 hours ago, zugzwang said:

The consequences of the 1970's double oil shocks (1973 and 1979) and our own North Sea boom.   The first basically destroyed the economy and the reputation of the Labour party with it.    Thatcher took over just as the second even larger shock hit, and it looked like she might go down with it too.   But then our own North Sea production really started taking off and global oil prices began their decade and a half long collapse.  The oil price collapse provided a massive economic boon relative to the shortage years, and our own North Sea was running at full stream bringing in substantial revenue.   Taken together this made it "look" like the Tories were economically competent while Labour were not, and of course this is the economic narrative the Tory higher ups spent the next two decades perpetuating, until it became so ingrained that it was taken as gospel among your average boomer voter (see happy guy above for perfect example of this belief system).   The reality is they just got lucky when they don't have the slightest clue on how to run a modern economy.   Worse still that unearned undeserved self-confidence prevents them from actually learning how to, because now they believe that whatever they and their party do will automatically result in economic success.  I do think that bubble of self-delusion is slowly being pricked though.   Its hard to deny reality for years on end when that reality is staring you right in the face.

Edited by Lurkerbelow
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

There is a thing you can do about it, it's called voting. If the current lot don't help you to get some economic security, kick them out. If the next lot also don't help, kick them out. Repeat as many times as it takes. I think this is what general elections will be like for the next 10-12 years, repeated kickings until politicians get the message that they need to stop running the country for the benefit of the banks.

do politicians align their financial investments with banking  support policies or is it the other way around. 

4 hours ago, happyguy said:

bit ageist mate ?

to be fair though most people are full of hate or just morons or the exception is the system works for them. 

people need to hate more and be more violent to where they have been put in life by the decisions of others. 

This alone would bring about change. 

Happyguy reeling off the standard boomer cliche soundbites.

"why don't you get a better job"

"it is called supply and demand"

I stated I can't wait for the Tories to become unelectable for 20 odd years, but instead of that I should get a better job? All seems like a classic boomer response where they blurt out the answer they want to give even if it doesn't make sense. Strange.

26 minutes ago, Pytyr said:

Happyguy = sad & desperate troll. Feed if you find it amusing.

It's boring and is disrupting threads. Would be nice if the mods would act. Happyguy has already been caught in troll behaviour e.g. presenting anecdotes as truthful which are then shown to be obvious lies with a few seconds of analysis.

14 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

Happyguy reeling off the standard boomer cliche soundbites.

"why don't you get a better job"

"it is called supply and demand"

I stated I can't wait for the Tories to become unelectable for 20 odd years, but instead of that I should get a better job? All seems like a classic boomer response where they blurt out the answer they want to give even if it doesn't make sense. Strange.

He knows these cliches get people wound up, that's why he says them. He is a troll. Do not feed.

Edited by Dorkins
On 08/10/2018 at 20:12, Slimline said:

Miras for first time buyers would be a fire cracker policy to prices. Wouldn’t surprise me to see that before a crash is allowed.

Hammond's next budget will also include support for mortage entitlement supplied via state Universal Credit... ok, I'm joking!

1 minute ago, Clarky Cat said:

The bit about "curtailing other tax perks" could mean completely abolishing tax relief on mortgage interest, which surely would be a good thing?

That would be fairly hilarious. Give BTLers a tax break 99.9% of them will never be able to use with one hand, take away basic rate mortgage interest relief that they are all using with the other hand.

2 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

That would be fairly hilarious. Give BTLers a tax break 99.9% of them will never be able to use with one hand, take away basic rate mortgage interest relief that they are all using with the other hand.

Exactly. Tiny little carrot, huge stick. Gives the impression that landlords are being helped, so no sympathy from the public whatsoever with the removal of mortgage interest relief.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:48, happyguy said:

You mean envious, not jealous.

It sounds as if you may be jealous.

31 minutes ago, Clarky Cat said:

Exactly. Tiny little carrot, huge stick. Gives the impression that landlords are being helped, so no sympathy from the public whatsoever with the removal of mortgage interest relief.

It could work. But I think if you give the impression that landlords are being helped, it perpetuates the belief that they should be helped and that helping them (encouraging investment in property etc. is required to help everyone else).

I think it would be better to bring in much higher tax increases immediately and for the chancellor to be explicit about the purpose of the taxes. If it was explained that the intention was to drive out landlords and make housing affordable, do you think the priced out masses would suddenly have sympathy for landlords?