House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Banner

Another Tory Vested interest ? - I'd missed this one.

It’s now clear why former  Secretary of State for Housing Sajid Javid always seemed to be so well briefed about the private rental market.

The  new Home Secretary, who was last week replaced by James Brokenshire at the Department of Housing, Communities and Local Government (DHCLG), has a brother who is a director of several property firms including a letting agency.

Atif Javid was a lawyer in Bristol at legal firm Burgess Salmon before establishing a lettings agency in the city called Intire, which has been running for at least ten years......

Atif has made a small fortune from both investing in property and running his various businesses, it was claimed by the Daily Mail over the weekend.

43-year-old Atif has fingers in several other property pies including a landlord software company called Landlord Hub and a property development and investment firm called SA Capital.

https://thenegotiator.co.uk/sajid-javid-atif-home-secretary/

so he should not be a minister because his brother is involved in a property company

i would have thought  a housing minister who is well briefed about the rental market is a good thing 

there have been many comments here that politicians know nothing about the rental market - when someone does that is also bad! 

Actually, I think I've answered my own question.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/30/for-sajid-javid-the-hostile-environment-is-political-and-personal

........he took the communities brief under May, with the explicit task of overseeing the prime minister’s pledge to tackle the housing crisis.

I seems an odd choice, on the part of Mrs May, to choose someone with such close family ties to "tackle the housing crisis". 

4 hours ago, happyguy said:

so he should not be a minister because his brother is involved in a property company

i would have thought  a housing minister who is well briefed about the rental market is a good thing 

there have been many comments here that politicians know nothing about the rental market - when someone does that is also bad! 

2 much vested interest to have any power in the sector.. need honest, decent people not buy to leech scumlords.. 

1 minute ago, macca13 said:

2 much vested interest to have any power in the sector.. need honest, decent people not buy to leech scumlords.. 

Is Javid a landlord?  I am not trolling just asking as I do not know.

So should anyone who knows a close mate or family member who is a landlord or has anything to do with property should be disbarred from office? I guess that is also anyone who  knows a close mate or family member who is a surveyor, conveyancer, mortgage adviser, works for any institution that lends money.  

3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

"The Negotiator" seem happy about the connection..... Me, I just posed a question..... vested interest or not?

Fair play - no offence meant and i hope none taken. :)