House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

The Tories face eviction from office unless they help Generation Rent

The piece has

Seventy-seven per cent of all adults in the marginals agreed that “it will be harder for the children of today to buy or rent a home than it is for me”, rising to 81 per cent among outright homeowners and 87 per cent among over-65s.

Who believes it will be easier? (Unless these are marginals in places like Halifax where prices have dropped since 2008).

9 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

The piece has

Who believes it will be easier? (Unless these are marginals in places like Halifax where prices have dropped since 2008).

Good Q.

Even in Halifax ... unless prices have dropped back to 200->2002 prices or lower the answer should remain the same, though?

Always going to happen. This ******ed over generation was always going to start to become more and more influential as the years went by.

Whether they were homeowner's or not.

Nothing wrong with renting, if renters who pay their rent feel safe and secure, a rent that doesn't rise above wage increase/inflation......no renter likes to think they made the wrong decision in renting when HPI goes to the moon, price of borrowing falls like a stone and rents rise higher than wages without any kind of future security.....something has to change, something is changing, something will change.....

Who will or can rent as well as living on a basic state pension at age of ~70 who can work to age of ~70.....who will pay the rents, when all the renters can no longer pay?.....😉

1 hour ago, kirstieb said:

They will be truly fuxed when we just give up on buying entirely. Having zero chance of something gives you a very different perspective on it

I think that has already happened to a lot of people under 40. Their time horizons have shrunk to the next year or next 6 months, just keep working/studying at whatever you are doing now and try not to think about the future, too depressing. That's why they're not scared of the newspapers telling them Corbyn's Labour will cause some kind of calamitous collapse, for people in that situation it sounds like relief.

17 hours ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Good Q.

Even in Halifax ... unless prices have dropped back to 200->2002 prices or lower the answer should remain the same, though?

I suppose if you bought in Halifax in 2007 or 8 then you might think today's youngsters are lucky!

12 hours ago, Dorkins said:

I think that has already happened to a lot of people under 40. Their time horizons have shrunk to the next year or next 6 months, just keep working/studying at whatever you are doing now and try not to think about the future, too depressing. That's why they're not scared of the newspapers telling them Corbyn's Labour will cause some kind of calamitous collapse, for people in that situation it sounds like relief.

A lot of people under 40 thought like that under Blair as well.

Since council housing sell offs and no replacement built, this country has looked down on renters, education or intelligence means little when forced to work to rent......all the perks, profits, capital growth, security, peace of mind, have been granted to the home owners and leveraged landlords, via lie to buy, low interest rates, easy money, qe, interest only....renters are looked upon as second class citizens....loosers, the priced out of buying because of the time and place they were born, circumstances beyond their control.....time to turn the tables on this....to make renting well, of quality, safe, secure, affordable and respectable......make the choice of buying or renting an even playing field.....😉

12 minutes ago, winkie said:

Since council housing sell offs and no replacement built, this country has looked down on renters, education or intelligence means little when forced to work to rent......all the perks, profits, capital growth, security, peace of mind, have been granted to the home owners and leveraged landlords, via lie to buy, low interest rates, easy money, qe, interest only....renters are looked upon as second class citizens....loosers, the priced out of buying because of the time and place they were born, circumstances beyond their control.....time to turn the tables on this....to make renting well, of quality, safe, secure, affordable and respectable......make the choice of buying or renting an even playing field.....😉

It has always been hard to rent or buy when you are young and in the early part of a career.  When I left uni I knew I would rent a room with some buddies.  

The difference now is that the "entitled snowflake" generation have the peculiar idea that they will leave uni, most of whom with a worthless degree such as sociology or sports science which is of less than zero value in the workplace and earn enough money to rent a 1 bed flat on their own.  It was never thus.  

These snowflakes have no idea about hardship they have been cossetted from the day they are born, told they can have anything they want, and made to believe that there is no stress in life.  Just look at Manc Uni saying that clapping causes stress to some students.  Life is hard, life is stressful, life is a struggle.  It is Darwinism, the strong survive the weak fail.  

The 1930's - 50's were times of austerity.  Having to share a flat with your £800 mobile and going travelling for a year to Asia to "find yourself" is not stress.  

25 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

I think that has already happened to a lot of people under 40. Their time horizons have shrunk to the next year or next 6 months, just keep working/studying at whatever you are doing now and try not to think about the future, too depressing.

You think it was different in the past? Do you think people have not always worked at whatever they are doing now? 

I remember having no xmas presents one year  because my parents had no money.  We did not get depressed we got on with it. 

9 minutes ago, happyguy said:

You think it was different in the past? Do you think people have not always worked at whatever they are doing now? 

I remember having no xmas presents one year  because my parents had no money.  We did not get depressed we got on with it. 

In the past it was a lot harder to buy consumer goods.

However it was a lot easier to buy housing (which is what we are talking about) or get affordable rented housing.

So I would say today it is different, it could be a lot easier but due to Government (all parties) policies it is a lot harder.

Edited by iamnumerate

48 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

A lot of people under 40 thought like that under Blair as well.

Indeed, and look where the Blairites are now: running the V&A, lobbying for the nuclear industry or warming the backbenches while deselection beckons.

3 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Indeed, and look where the Blairites are now: running the V&A, lobbying for the nuclear industry or warming the backbenches while deselection beckons.

John Prescott - house destroyer - seemed to be pro Corbyn winning the last election.  He is not ignored for being the most harmful politician ever to housing in the UK.

HTB was  pretty stupid idea but knocking down houses in Liverpool etc was even worse.

Edited by iamnumerate

9 minutes ago, happyguy said:

25 minutes ago, happyguy said:

80% of over-65s are homeowners and almost all of the rest have secure tenancy on a council house. So for them keeping your head down and working got you somewhere, now it doesn't.

31 minutes ago, happyguy said:

Ffs

Just now, happyguy said:

But they were not homeowners when they had just started working 

But it was a lot easier to buy a home.  For me to buy the same home that my Dad did when he was in his 30s would cost me £20k just in stamp duty!

27 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

However it was a lot easier to buy housing (which is what we are talking about) or get affordable rented housing.

So I would say today it is different, it could be a lot easier but due to Government (all parties) policies it is a lot harder.

I agree to an extent but the theme he is young renters. it has always been hard when you are young as you earn less money - I earned much less when I was 22 than I do now which is why I lived in a shared house and yes it did take a lot of m,y income for the rent 

In that regard nothing much has changed but as I say I did not have any other expectation or feeling of entitlement to cheaper housing