House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Bribery in the UK construction industry is rife, say a House of Lords select committee

Bribery in the UK construction industry is rife, say a House of Lords select committee

https://www.propertyweek.com/professional/expert-witnesses-say-bribery-act-has-failed-to-tackle-widespread-industry-corruption-/5098871.article

Bribery in the UK construction industry is rife, a House of Lords select committee heard last week. Last Tuesday’s session, attended by three representatives from the construction industry, found that despite  the introduction of the UK Bribery Act in 2010, cash bribery remains an impossible-to-track problem; 49% of those working in construction say corruption is common, according to a 2013 Chartered Institute of Building survey; and there is widespread confusion over the definition of bribery. .. 

Few prosecutions

As for the prosecution of cases, the House of Lords panel expressed concern about the low number of cases relative to the widespread scale of the problem reported in construction and other British industries. Since the introduction of the act in 2011, only 28 defendants have been found guilty under section 1 or 2 of the act, which cover giving and receiving bribes respectively.

Last Tuesday’s evidence session revealed several other problems for the construction industry specifically. One of these was the issue of cash bribery. Keely Hibbitt, head of business integrity at Balfour Beatty, confirmed that there was no way to track whether this was an issue affecting the company because of the difficulty with tracing cash bribes.

The issue of bribery and corruption in the construction industry becomes yet more complicated when taking into account ‘no-show jobs’ or ‘ghost workers’ – a way for corrupt contractors to get money from companies without providing any actual work, by claiming salaries for employees that may not actually receive the money, or may not even exist. Such schemes for funnelling bribes have plagued docks in the US for many years and provided the plot of the 1958 film On the Waterfront./..

Happened to me years ago on a hospital contract I took on for the first time, still have come nowhere close to the big money I made to this day. The guy in charge of the hospital contracts priced it for me over a pub meal that a friend had planned and who already had work with the same hospital, I nearly chocked when he gave me numbers they were offering.

He did just about everything you can imagine to ask me for a good pay off without asking me directly for a pay off, hard to explain unless you was there. I never did pay him and I got no more work from them though I was praised for what I did. Do I have regrets, yes partly, it's the same feeling as with liar loans(self cert), the older I am getting the more I am seeing that dishonesty and even crime does pay, and big time.

1 hour ago, inbruges said:

Happened to me years ago on a hospital contract I took on for the first time, still have come nowhere close to the big money I made to this day. The guy in charge of the hospital contracts priced it for me over a pub meal that a friend had planned and who already had work with the same hospital, I nearly chocked when he gave me numbers they were offering.

He did just about everything you can imagine to ask me for a good pay off without asking me directly for a pay off, hard to explain unless you was there. I never did pay him and I got no more work from them though I was praised for what I did. Do I have regrets, yes partly, it's the same feeling as with liar loans(self cert), the older I am getting the more I am seeing that dishonesty and even crime does pay, and big time.

So the man in charge of NHS contracts told you what tender price to put in?

10 minutes ago, frankief said:

So the man in charge of NHS contracts told you what tender price to put in?

This is how it went, it started off just working Sundays when the operating theatres were shut down and they supplied the electrical equipment they wanted my company to install which had to be 100% finished that day. The first words he said to me were "Well it is Sunday so we must be looking at £*****", I acted like I had prices like that all the time but I am certain it showed that I never 🙂 

I could have made a fortune and quickly if I was that type of person, I just wasn't. I have also know someone going even further back when I was involved in the laying of the UK fibre optic network and who was my boss taking big bribes off the contractors who were doing all the dirty work, and he really was a slimey piece of s**t who was stealing and stabbing everyone in the back, left because of him.

It's still rife in the UK from Government down

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, inbruges said:

being honest is a road to nowhere.  

if i knew a way to make big money quickly i would risk doing some porridge if i got to keep the cash. whats the alternative work for 20 years anyway and get nothing.