House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

England has more than 200,000 empty homes. How to revive them?  

From the comments:

truk10

A little bit of perspective

1. 200k empty homes is only 0.8% of housing stock

2. 200k is only 9 months worth of the number of new houses required

3. All that is needed for a house to be empty is that no one has lived in it for six months - this can include elderly people taken into care/hospital, deceased estates being sorted out, people doing up places before moving in, houses about to be demolished etc

4. Many empty homes are flats above shops which are impractical to rent because of security/ noise/smell issues

5. Many empty houses are in areas with no jobs or amenities

Yes, there are obviously examples of houses that can and should be brought back into use but the number of empty homes is not actually a crisis and even if you brought them all back into use immediately, you've only kicked the real problem (we don't build enough new homes) down the road for 9 months and then you're back when you started in terms of the housing crisis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so that saves me a job :-)

1 hour ago, Oki said:

1. 200k empty homes is only 0.8% of housing stock

2. 200k is only 9 months worth of the number of new houses required

0.8% of the current total to be built in 9 months? Average occupancy is (or was in 2011, according to the census, so maybe a little higher in reality) 2.3 per house, so 200k is 460k people. A quick Google gives that as about the population of Liverpool. That is a truly frightening number to contemplate building at that rate. Another city, in just 9 months. Heaven help the future of the UK.

18 hours ago, Riedquat said:

0.8% of the current total to be built in 9 months? Average occupancy is (or was in 2011, according to the census, so maybe a little higher in reality) 2.3 per house, so 200k is 460k people. A quick Google gives that as about the population of Liverpool. That is a truly frightening number to contemplate building at that rate. Another city, in just 9 months. Heaven help the future of the UK.

+1

9 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Always someone who thinks that they're being clever with that sort of unhelpful and silly comment.

It is not really a helpful comment. It normally means that the person is trying to ignore a valid concern.

Edited by iamnumerate

Not to mention the millions of square metres of space in city centres - I look at Newcastle and everything above the ground floor is empty. If I were in charge I would ban any construction of commercial real estate and give massive incentives to fill these spaces first, instead of building new "business parks" which stay open for 10 years before becoming nuclear fallout territory. 

17 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Not to mention the millions of square metres of space in city centres - I look at Newcastle and everything above the ground floor is empty. If I were in charge I would ban any construction of commercial real estate and give massive incentives to fill these spaces first, instead of building new "business parks" which stay open for 10 years before becoming nuclear fallout territory. 

That seems a bad investment by someone, I fear it was the taxpayer.