House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tes Tickle

Weird Letters from Estate Agents

We're currently selling our house, have used a £99 online agent that gets us onto Rightmove, Zoopla and the rest.

We keep getting weird letters from estate agents.  One even knocked at the door, came up with some waffle about wanting to help us find our next house.  We've had a long rambling letter about how terrible online agents are, another saying how you can make more by paying more.  They're all from different agents, yesterday's was a printed letter, that authoritatively states...

Please can you contact me at our xxx office on 0xxxx, at your earliest convenience.

That's the complete letter, no charm or sales pitch!

Today's is the weirdest yet, it's a hand-written note on a compliments slip inside a hand-written envelope, stating...

Dear Home Owner,

Please contact me regarding the sale of your property.  This is a genuine enquiry.

I did expect to get contacts from EAs, but expected charm - perhaps tempting commission rates or photos of the helpful team who are ready to help.  I really wasn't prepared for how weird they are, bordering on sinister.  I really feel like I've invaded the cartel's patch without their permission and they don't like it.

I can only assume that they're short of things to do.

Edited by Tes Tickle

'I really wasn't prepared for how weird they are, bordering on sinister. '

I think the words you are looking for are not busy/desperate.

Theyll spent time looing on RM, see new listings, then find out the address.

We had a letter from a (desperate) mortgage broker about ~1 year after remortaging.

They are obviously using LR for transaction information.

Didnt work as, depsite their promsie to 'egt a cheaper mortgage' Weve got a 5y fix at somethign stupid like 1.6 - I really dont know the exact % - its well under 2%

1 hour ago, Tes Tickle said:

We keep getting weird letters from estate agents. 

Desperate.

Are these stamped letters you receive in the post, after they've figured out your address from RM & streetview? 

Or are they hand delivered, with hoards of EAs shoving blank envelopes through any door with an e.g. purplebricks 'for sale' sign outside?

Edited by highYield
speling

There’s a purple bricks traditional EA board up on our road which has  had the corner of it smashed off which reminds me my first thought when I saw it as I ran past the other day was “wonder if that was a scumbag EA”

4 hours ago, Tes Tickle said:

We're currently selling our house, have used a £99 online agent that gets us onto Rightmove, Zoopla and the rest.

We keep getting weird letters from estate agents.  One even knocked at the door, came up with some waffle about wanting to help us find our next house.  We've had a long rambling letter about how terrible online agents are, another saying how you can make more by paying more.  They're all from different agents, yesterday's was a printed letter, that authoritatively states...

Please can you contact me at our xxx office on 0xxxx, at your earliest convenience.

That's the complete letter, no charm or sales pitch!

That is, as you say sinister.

I expect any letter to set out clearly what they want. They want to trick you into phoning them. You don't want that - you want them to set it out in writing. You can't reply saying that you won't contact then, since you reply is contact.

So I suggest this reply.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Done.

yours,

etc.

if they then reply to THAT without saying what they wanted, keep replying with 1-sentence letters :)

Pay more, get more

What a joke. The last EA I dealt with wanted me to do the viewings, etc. for the handsome fee I was paying them. If you're going to do that you may as well use the £99 online option.

I’ve noticed during my recent EA experiment they want to get you on the phone, so I insist on email comms so the scumbags can’t say anything without it in writing

Buying through an online agent, perfectly good service. it’s the future and it’s here now. goodbye traditional estate agents you won’t be missed, and you got just what you deserved. That’s what you get when every other word out of your mouth is a lie. Another small slice of justice in the world. 

hair gel sales are going to bomb. 

What about the letters/flyers saying we have people waiting to buy property just like yours.....please sell your property because we want to earn easy commission.....help us please.😉

I'm often perplexed by the aggression and insolence of some Estate Agents.  Can't work out if it's because they're useless ignorant twats or if it's an advanced sales technique.

Taking Occam's Razor to it ... it's because they're useless ignorant twats.

11 minutes ago, sisyphal said:

I'm often perplexed by the aggression and insolence of some Estate Agents.  Can't work out if it's because they're useless ignorant twats or if it's an advanced sales technique.

I had an irate phone call from the estate agent manager when I was offering on the last house I viewed about a year ago. he said my offer was stupid and an insult. I told him to just put the offer forward as it was a good offer and the only offer they had since it was on the market for 4 months. he said it was "disrespectful" to the owner! it was only 20k less than they had paid for it 18 months prior but was 130k less than what they were asking for..

he then sent me emails of newspaper articles showing prices were increasing.. I replied saying that article is a year old, here is a more recent article showing prices are going down, however I don't want to get in for tit for tat discussion on this

he then sent me some crap 1 bedroom flats " more in my price range"

the vendor ended up changing estate agents and reduced the price by 50k and then ended up taking it off the market!

1 hour ago, sisyphal said:

Too many years of HPI mania meaning houses basically sold themselves so no need for EAs to develop any actual sales skills and no labour market selection against EAs who couldn't sell their way out of a damp paper bag.

Humans behave better when reality knocks them back a little every now and then.

18 hours ago, highYield said:

Desperate.

Are these stamped letters you receive in the post, after they've figured out your address from RM & streetview? 

Or are they hand delivered, with hoards of EAs shoving blank envelopes through any door with an e.g. purplebricks 'for sale' sign outside?

These are all addressed posted letters, in envelopes, to "The Home Owner" or similar with our door number and full address and postcode.

The listing doesn't give the door number and postcode, they must be using Streetview or even driving past to work it out, then looking up the postcode.

We've had at least six in a month.  If I was actually thinking about using a local agent then any of these efforts would put me right off, it's all very weird.  They clearly must feel threatened by people who dare to think they can do without them and/or they're not very busy.

We did get a quote from two local agents, each wanted around £5k for their "services".  I fundamentally don't understand the logic of charging a percentage for starters, all online agents are a fixed fee, as it should be.  These letters are not from these two agents, they are totally uninvited and we've never contacted any of them before, they don't even know our names.

Edited by Tes Tickle

6 minutes ago, Tes Tickle said:

These are all addressed posted letters, in envelopes, to "The Home Owner" or similar with our door number and full address and postcode.

The listing doesn't give the door number and postcode, they must be using Streetview or even driving past to work it out, then looking up the postcode.

We've had at least six in a month.  If I was actually thinking about using a local agent then any of these efforts would put me right off, it's all very weird.  They clearly must feel threatened by people who dare to think they can do without them and/or they're not very busy.

We did get a quote from two local agents, each wanted around £5k for their "services".  I fundamentally don't understand the logic of charging a percentage for starters, all online agents are a fixed fee, as it should be.  These letters are not from these two agents, they are totally uninvited and we've never contacted any of them before, they don't even know our names.

They aren't even trying then. Getting your name once you've got the address isn't that difficult although it does mean giving the land registry £3...

Edited by Houdini

Sounds like the last death throws of a industry that is reluctant to change its practices to survive a changing landspace. 

Adapt or die.... other businesses have to change. Some have had to die off. 

When we started getting quotes I was wondering whether they may have embraced competition - perhaps by reducing fees for starters.

But it seems that they're not at all, instead they're just wringing out the remaining customers as much as possible.  They probably do well as a result of many people's stupid British suspicion of low prices - "You get what you pay for", "If it's too good to be true then it probably is" and all that rubbish.  People think that if you have a choice of paying £99 or £5000 then they can't possibly be for near enough the same service, that really is the crazy situation we're in but I'd guess that people find this impossible to believe so go with the "professional" option.

We're also looking at houses to buy and, as a result of looking at hundreds of listings, I've realised that the service offered by many traditional agents is very poor.  Often no more than a handful of photos, badly taken and at thumbnail resolution together with a description that often tells you very little, makes no sense or the majority of which is a pasted in advert for them instead of details of the house.

Around half of listings I've seen don't even bother with a floorplan, which seems like a basic essential to me.  This was a bolt-on option with the online agent, but I really didn't trust anyone else to do it thoroughly so downloaded the software that agents use, paid a fee of under £10 for one floorplan and made one that's accurate to the cm with every detail in exactly the right place.

The online company we've used seems great.  They don't actually do much, they're pretty much a transparent interface to Rightmove, Zoopla and the rest and that's perfect for me.  I can log into their website and type what I want into the description, upload photos, cut the price, generally do what I want, when I've finished messing someone there checks it then it updates on the other websites an hour or two later.  They take calls and just send me an email with the contact details, after which I phone them and arrange a viewing, they get a civilised and relaxed viewing, then they can contact the agent to offer if they like.

We started at around the price suggested by the local agents, which I always thought was ridiculous, and this has become apparent at the low level of interest.  Since then I've knocked big chunks off the price and we'll just keep heading down until we find the right point, just a slow-motion Dutch auction really.

54 minutes ago, Tes Tickle said:

We started at around the price suggested by the local agents, which I always thought was ridiculous, and this has become apparent at the low level of interest.

Wait... you mean the high street agents valued it at a ridiculous level just to convince you to go with them, with the view to talking you into dropping the price after a couple of weeks once they have got you locked into a six month exclusive agent contract???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes, but I thought I'd try the higher price just in case there was a tiny chance they weren't talking complete rubbish.  If I'd listed 10,000s below their recommendation and it sold in a week, her ladyship would have gone on about what we could have sold it for for years.  I think we're somewhere around the right price now, but nobody really knows.

To be fair, sold prices are all over the place in our street, mainly as they've all been chopped and changed so much.  Some are double the size they started off as, plus the plots are very variable in size too.

No weird letters today, sadly.  I'll add more if/when they arrive.  I regret throwing the earlier ones away now - some were corkers, especially the one about how terrible online agents all are.

Hope nobody minds me being a seller, I know many here are very resentful of house owners and totally understandably so.  We bought well after the main boom so will make next to nothing on it.

A local firm kept sending us letters bearing the promise "I'LL SELL YOUR HOUSE" in big letters on the outside of the envelope. Whoever came up with that probably thinks it's a noble promise of great service. To me it sounds emotionally subnormal and a bit threatening, the sort of thing a disinterested twelve-year-old might submit as homework.

If a veterinary surgeon sent out a batch of similar junkmail with the message "I'LL PUT DOWN YOUR DOG" they could probably look forward to a visit from the old bill.

Edited by Horridbloke

4 hours ago, hurlerontheditch said:

I had an irate phone call from the estate agent manager when I was offering on the last house I viewed about a year ago. he said my offer was stupid and an insult. I told him to just put the offer forward as it was a good offer and the only offer they had since it was on the market for 4 months. he said it was "disrespectful" to the owner! it was only 20k less than they had paid for it 18 months prior but was 130k less than what they were asking for..

he then sent me emails of newspaper articles showing prices were increasing.. I replied saying that article is a year old, here is a more recent article showing prices are going down, however I don't want to get in for tit for tat discussion on this

he then sent me some crap 1 bedroom flats " more in my price range"

the vendor ended up changing estate agents and reduced the price by 50k and then ended up taking it off the market!

You should have put a noet throu the letter box telling them that you put an offer of x to the EA.

Asking them if they received it.

40 minutes ago, spyguy said:

You should have put a noet throu the letter box telling them that you put an offer of x to the EA.

Asking them if they received it.

I think they had already emotionally bought into the fact their house had gone up in value by 110k in 18 months

Am seeing this on a house which has been up for sale for some time in my area...

Buyer Process: our customers use British Homebuyers to either purchase or assist in selling properties quickly and reliably. Therefore any new applicants to purchase are subject to vetting to ensure they meet strict criteria.

Seems a bit strange. British Homebuyers are one of  those 'webuyanyhouse' companies. I almost feel like the house is being used as 'bait' to collect information on potential home sellers. It's been sitting for ages.

Anybody familiar with this 

21 minutes ago, CrowdedHouse said:

Am seeing this on a house which has been up for sale for some time in my area...

Buyer Process: our customers use British Homebuyers to either purchase or assist in selling properties quickly and reliably. Therefore any new applicants to purchase are subject to vetting to ensure they meet strict criteria.

Seems a bit strange. British Homebuyers are one of  those 'webuyanyhouse' companies. I almost feel like the house is being used as 'bait' to collect information on potential home sellers. It's been sitting for ages.

Anybody familiar with this 

sounds like a classic "honeytrap" play

Is she fit? pics not loading