House Price Crash Forum
Dorkins

Labour plans to give tenants more power

Labour says it would scrap laws allowing private landlords to evict tenants without giving a reason.

The law, in force since 1988, is thought to be the biggest cause of homelessness.

Labour's shadow housing minister John Healey will announce the policy at the party's conference later.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45621986

Great to see the big 2 parties competing with each other to appeal to non-homeowners. How times change.

It is magic, would be great if the msm would really discuss it, they're pretty moderate changes but judging by the interview on Today with John Mcdonnell this morning about the 1% of shares to employees policy, they're going to kick up one hell of a fuss over the smallest of changes and if they do ever properly discuss changes to the rental market am sure they'll do the same there so that nobody can even think of anything more radical.

The timing of the announcement is interesting, it suggests Labour thinks it's likely there will be a general election in the next few months.

This policy puts the Tories in a tight spot. Do they match the offer? Keep spouting that nonsense about stronger tenants' rights leading to higher rents and reduced supply?

38 minutes ago, Locke said:

Why not just ban renting out residential property?

I thought you'd be happy. When a landlord uses S21 they can get the State to sign an eviction order which means, ultimately, that a bailiff can call a police officer to forcibly drag a peaceful person who is up to date with the rent out of their home. Are you in favour of uniformed agents of the State using violence against peaceful people now?

Edited by Dorkins

Demographics innit.  Either you keep the masses in the dark or in check, or you try to keep them on side.

I'm no Labour fan, but the anti Labour play book is well in play

1) Ask them to cost everything to the penny.  If they can't or mess up scream 'uncosted spending'.

2) Take single aspect (1% shares) and scream 'state interference'

3) Take proposed policy and find past article that contradicts it, even if from the 70s

2 hours ago, longgone said:

labour is looking better by the hour. 

Steve Keen is giving a lecture on the conference fringe this afternoon, 2pm.

Prof Steve Keen will be speaking at a fringe meeting of the Labour Conference.

"What size should a Labour Government's surplus be?"

Steve will be using his Minsky Economics Program to demonstrate how, starting with simple concepts such as that the Government's deficit has to be the same as everyone else's net savings, we can move on to more complex questions of the role of Government in promoting private sector financial resilience. Or, how to make sure we all have jobs!

All welcome. You don't have to be a delegate or even a Labour Party member.

Venue: Bluecoat , School Lane, Liverpool, L1 3BX
Date: Monday, 24th September, 2pm

40385375_10156604234649380_5538237827134

2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

I thought you'd be happy. When a landlord uses S21 they can get the State to sign an eviction order which means, ultimately, that a bailiff can call a police officer to forcibly drag a peaceful person who is up to date with the rent out of their home. Are you in favour of uniformed agents of the State using violence against peaceful people now?

Before I bother giving a reasoned, logically unassailable argument for you to ignore and respond to with Statist propaganda, are you being serious?

48 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Steve Keen is giving a lecture on the conference fringe this afternoon, 2pm.

Do you actually take this drivel seriously?

9 hours ago, Dorkins said:

You'll never get any sense out of this crank. Sadly, open forums like HPC are always going to be subject to abuse from lunatics, trolls and sophomoric yahoos.

Edited by zugzwang

On 24/09/2018 at 11:04, Locke said:

Why not just ban renting out residential property?

I think they should ban renting out residential property as an individual landlord.

All property used to gain an income should be treated as a business asset, and only owned by a business. Makes it easier for HMRC and other agencies to make sure taxes and laws are followed and correct, and keeps the liabilities of the PRS away from private incomes. 

I couldn't imagine being a LL and not having it all through a company, to distance my personal finances/life incase something went wrong. 

23 hours ago, Locke said:

Do you actually take this drivel seriously? 

Yes, I take Professor Keen's words seriously as he is well qualified to speak about matters which he has spent years researching and building up an argument.

18 hours ago, stuckinlimbo said:

Yes, I take Professor Keen's words seriously as he is well qualified to speak about matters which he has spent years researching and building up an argument.