House Price Crash Forum

BBC drama content

Ash4781

HOLA441

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45579665

"A decade ago, premium high-end drama might have cost £1m an hour in today's money," he said.

"Premium drama today costs many times that figure routinely. That has resulted in the BBC needing to spend significantly more just to stand still."

I’ve watched a few ‘BBC’ dramas and thought they must have high budgets!  Then there’s this new commercial division so presumably not much transparency on talent salaries. I wonder what will be the plan eg. Referring to this ‘arms race’ how deep are the BBc’s pockets ? (Licence fee isn’t cheap already)

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I was actually thinking about starting a thread on "the bodyguard", I have n't seen it, and not really in a hurry to.

But I was struck by how much it was "pumped" by other BBC outlets, even BBC business programmes wouldn't shut up about it!

Are they desperate for a ratings success after spending all that money? Or was it genuinely good?

HOLA446
On 25/09/2018 at 22:39, reddog said:

I was actually thinking about starting a thread on "the bodyguard", I have n't seen it, and not really in a hurry to.

But I was struck by how much it was "pumped" by other BBC outlets, even BBC business programmes wouldn't shut up about it!

Are they desperate for a ratings success after spending all that money? Or was it genuinely good?

I watched it and thought it was ok not amazing but I was dipping in and out. I think they [BBC] like to big up things like this. Especially with the 24hour news. They need 23.5hrs of filler! 

HOLA447

BBC Drama is excellent. For me,  the only thing worth the license fee. For period drama it probably has no equal . . . but sure, those sets, props and costumes will cost.

However, it has a fair amount of competition now. 'Scandi noir' and 'Belgian noir' are taking over the crime genre. And probably because the 'low budget' look does help believability. 

I was watching a Belgian series the other day called 'Rough Justice'. The heroine smokes, dresses badly and is a lesbian. She has never seen a make-up artist and  . . .  shock horror . . . her apartment has never been decluttered.  It makes 'Bodyguard' look like Enid Blyton.

Archived