House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arpeggio

Automatic DNS redirector to avoid downtime

I'm going to have the same critical website on 2 different webhosts. Only one host will be live where I direct the Domain name, the other will be in reserve in case the other goes down so I can point the Domain to it instead. This isn't something I'm aware of having been done before, but due to the critical nature of this site I'm doing it, having first considered this years ago. The cost isn't an issue and the reserve won't be as high spec.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of program or system I can use that does this automatically. For instance if I set it to trigger if downtime goes beyond 5 minutes? My own expertise is fairly limited as a cPanel user with no coding knowledge.

A previous thread was very useful I'm still using the python programs made for me by hayder. Some clever people here hence why I ask.

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

How about using a DNS failover solution? There are 3rd party solutions you may be able to use. Here's one

https://dnsmadeeasy.com/services/dnsfailover/

I think you can do this also with zoneedit. I used to use them in the old days when registrars didn't have their own name servers, but never used the failover capability.

Excellent thanks!

1 hour ago, Captain Kirk said:

You're welcome. Let me know how you get on!

I look forward to it. 2nd host is set up now and ready to receive site. The dnsmadeeasy small business package is nicely priced and has more than I need.